Your philosophy on life and how you display it

StormySky

I'm curious to know people's different viewpoints, how in life you came to these conclusions, what you expect to give/get from them, and how you demonstrate these things.

There is too much to say about it, I could spend years describing the systems of logic and mechanisms in place to create what I consider a balance of effects on the world. Now that I think about it, it sounds like government policy.

Just now, Jade Cross said:

Time has slowly shifted my view of the world similar to that of  "The world is a stage and people are its actors" No matter how enchating the play or the emotions it conveys, it is ultimately make believe. 

That's quite the metaphor, I would feel it's more improv since no matter how much we think we plan, spontaneity is always a factor.

But that's just my silly lack of belief in fate :P

I feel very strongly that there's not a set meaning we're given, but that it's up to you to assign goals and meanings for yourself. I like the fact that there's no given meaning, since with overprotective parents I've learned to love every scrap of personal freedom I get. I strongly advocate for the human ability to choose how you see things, since you can experience more of what you want and the "truth" presented by faulty mortal senses is really limited, and perception is a decision of the mind. As for death, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. If anything, it's an excuse to experience what you can with what you've got. 

The philosophy I live by now is that life is a constant search for wonder, and achieving balance with ourselves; as in, that both the "good" and "bad" parts of one's self must be accepted, and neither should be repressed in favour of the other. This isn't to say that I believe one should give in to their dark urges; it just means that I believe they should accept that they have this darkness in the first place and stop trying to deny it from themselves or shaming themselves for having it. And once that wholeness is achieved, we live so much closer to our sense of purpose, meaning and joy. And from there it's a journey from completing ourselves to expressing that completion in the things we do and the dreams we reach for.

FallenAngel9799

Love: Our instincts tell us who to fall in love with, but it is us who do the math and decide who to stay in love with. That is why real love is a deliberate choice.

Career: This is a fusion of work and purpose cemented by a labor of love.

Biblioromantic

My philosophy has been changing quite radically in the past few months.  But here's where it stands as of today.

I like to think of life more in terms of Venn diagrams. You know, those circles that overlap? Everybody has a million of those circles surrounding them and overlapping with one another to various degrees. Some circles are about your physical health, your religious beliefs, your sexuality, your emotional state, your mental health, your gender and its expression, your political ideals, your relationship with one person vs another, your job or career, your skills and talents, etc. Some circles are big, and some are small. Sometimes the circles are static, sometimes they shift/grow/shrink slowly over time, and sometimes something or someone comes along and shakes everything up at once. And there you are in the center of everything, finding out in how much of and where in each circle you belong and knowing you can only focus on a few of those circles at a time. Everybody has people in other circles telling us what our circles should look like, but only you can determine where your circles fall for you.

It's not easy to sum a topic like that up shortly, but I'll give it a try.

Death: I have no idea what lies after. Could be nothing, could be something. There's not enough hard established evidence that points in either direction. As such I take every known belief about death with a grain of salt, but I don't close the door entirely. What I can say for certain as an established fact is that the presence of death means that there is a time limit to the particular form we reside in, and therefore this time is important.

God: I think there's a god, but not in the sense that people envision it. It didn't create the universe, it didn't create people, and it certainly won't scorn a man for wanting sex with another man. It simply is the product of the universe itself existing. On the very basic level of atoms and what goes beyond them in the connections, this thing exists, like a collective sum of everything in existence. In essence, like individual cells in a body making a greater whole, we're a part of this thread, all linked to each other, and it is to us as we are to it. It does not punish, doesn't pick sides, it simply is.

Established Purpose: Like death, I don't believe we have enough relevant information to determine if there is some higher calling or plan. But I think in the apparent absence of it, nature and evolution fills the gaps. Nature has a way of making everything useful to suit some purpose, even the things we perceive as bad. And it has a way of balancing the scales together so that there isn't an inherent disproportionate amount of it. There's what we call good, and there's what we call bad, but they'll always exist together, and that's it. As close as we can come to an established purpose, our underlying goal is to strive towards evolution in a positive manner.

Morality: Inherently, I believe there is no morality. It's like a sandbox. Put a dead body into the sandbox and the sandbox doesn't care. Have sex in the sandbox and it doesn't care. Kill 6 million people in the sandbox, sandbox don't care. But what changes the game is higher brain functions and the capacity to feel pain and emotional distress. And in that regard, so long as something can feel "good" or "bad," there still is some worth to those feelings despite the sandbox not caring itself.

Choice: Being sentient gives us the ability of choice and allows us to manipulate all of the previous beliefs listed above. So I think as a rule of thumb, being free to choose to do as you wish is the most important thing there is, with one exception. You are free to choose to do as you please so long as you do not inflict pain or suffering on any living thing with malicious or ill intent, unless consent is given. Further more, your life becomes forfeit when you rob another life with ill intent or a disregard to the sacrifice made by it's passing. Whatever happens to you after that point is justified.

Truth: In one other exception to the rule of choice, I believe there's an inherent truth to everything if you look deep enough into it. It is unbiased and uncaring of feelings towards it, but it should always be strived towards with clarity in mind. In order to actually find truth, one has to remain open minded to everything and consider all of the angles.

Me: Listed up above are mental tenants. In action, I work simply. I remember what pain is. For some people, a small amount of pain can feel immense. For others, a massive amount of it can be walked through as if it were nothing. One way or another, pain is simply pain. It is unpleasant, it is universal. It is not my place to judge whose pain is more deserving of aid, as I would be guilty of hypocrisy. I've felt greater and lesser pain, some of which would destroy people, some of which others could shrug away. The bottom line is, time is short, pain sucks, if I can do anything in my ability to reverse an infliction of it, then it is my duty to.

paperbackreader

1 just because it's an accepted fact of life by the circle of people around you does not automatically make it correct. That applies both to you vs people but also your culture vs other cultures. People used to believe the world is round. 

2 Disagree if you think so, but respect other people's opinion and right to live their own lives their own way, especially if it doesn't affect you. What is wrong for me may be right for others. 

3 You can't always control things that happen, but you can control your emotional response to it. 

4 Understanding and converting transgressors to greater utility is almost always more preferable and efficient compared to wasting resources on punishment and retribution. Forgive the person and focus on recurrence prevention of the  offensive act.  

5 None of this really matters. So just try your best to be nice, make a positive difference and enjoy yourself.

6 But if you don't... That's ok too. Trust yourself. Be hungry enough to strive for embetterment but content enough to enjoy happiness... 

I guess growing up with disagreements close to hand with people whom I all love has had a great impact on me being sure about any point of view being 'the correct one' or 'the real one' and instilled both a sense of empathy, forgiveness, fairness and cynicism. People are all just so beautifully flawed. I just try to remember these statements, though it can be hard in the spur of the moment, when you're affected by a situation that may not be pleasant. 

Best I can do in terms of life philosophy... 

You'll never be better at anything than you are at being yourself, so be yourself. The more you try to be what you're supposed to be, the more you'll fail, the worse you'll feel, and the more you'll want to hide. Be yourself. 

Me, I'm a weed smoking, misanthropic, gay, dog obsessed dirty hippie with a law degree. Drives my mom absolutely crazy that I won't put on a suit and join a big firm, but you know what I've found... when I try to put on a suit, never swear, and pretend to be the kind of person who gets up early to buy "the team" bagels in the morning, I end up miserable and bad at my job. Last job I had was at the Oregon Cannabis Law Group. Current job is working for an internet media company... the CEO takes weeks off to go surfing and I showed up to my Monday meeting in a torn hoodie and t-shirt. It makes me happy and I don't care if 99% of people look at me and think I'm an idiot. I openly post selfies of myself smoking weed. It makes me happy and again, I don't care if 99% of people won't want to hire me for it... I'm living for that final 1%.

Here's another great life philosophy from Modern Family... 

"I've always seen life like a series of doors. Sometimes you get to choose the door you go through, and sometimes you don't get that choice. But you still have to walk through it. So either you can go through kicking and screaming, or walk through with your head held high."

Calligraphette_Coe
On 4/22/2018 at 10:46 PM, StormySky said:

I'm curious to know people's different viewpoints, how in life you came to these conclusions, what you expect to give/get from them, and how you demonstrate these things.

That life is precious, that there are too many ways to make a difference to yourself and other people to go quietly into that long good night. That logic and emotion counterbalance, each the other, that pain is unavoidable but to be avoided when you can. That we are too busy just surviving sometimes to really live, but that we do the best we can anyway.

I came to this through an NDE ( Near Death Experience) and from having once came close to ending it all by my own hand. And from just knowing that sometimes something you say that came from your empathy and imagination can make all the difference to someone, even though you may never know it. If  there is and must be pain, in _that_, at least, there is beauty and a recompense. And that paradoxically, solitude is not the same thing as being alone.

paperbackreader

@Skullery Maid

I once met this dude travelling in Cuba on his own with tattoos all over his body and generally dishevelled. I was surprised that he was doing Cuba alone with almost 0 Spanish. I listened to his epistle about Trump being an absolute f******* idiot and was doubly surprised to find out he was a practising lawyer. 

Turns out he works for a suited up firm so most of the time his rad full body tattoos are hidden under a suit.  But it's a relatively small firm, he goes around finding organisations that break environmental and trust laws to sue on behalf of councils and skims the top off the payout. But he also advises big corporates how to avoid being class actioned in the way that they go about. Sounds like a funny version of legalized mafia protection money to me! 

That memory always makes me smile.

I exist, therefor I am.

Everything else is subjective. 

I choose the reality in which I live.

Everyone else is just like me.

I see life as a web of responsibilities and duties - and carry that through to my work life where I see responsibility going both ways up / down the management chain.

Sometimes these responsibilities can be conflicting and that is my largest source of stress in life. 

GeneralSkittelz

Life is what you make of it. So put in an effort and help others and always strive to make the world a better place to make your life, and everybody else's feel more meaningful. At the very least, don't be a jerk and ruin others for a momentary rush of power. No power lasts forever, but the good of many can affect the world in unimaginable and lasting ways.

life has no meaning. I'm here to get high and fuck in the woods. 

Just now, Peachyy said:

life has no meaning. I'm here to get high and fuck in the woods. 

Well, I hope you have fun getting high and fucking in the woods

31 minutes ago, StormySky said:

Well, I hope you have fun getting high and fucking in the woods

Related image

My philosophy on life is in my sig. :P:P

@CBC, you can easily switch to desktop on mobile. On the top bar of the page click on the three vertical dots top right, and a desktop site option appears. You will probably have to expand the image afterwards. 

• 2 weeks later...
Artsy Anvil

I feel like life is sort of a shopping list. You need to do everything on that list in order to maintain your life at a good balance. If you forget one thing on that list, you’ll eventually realize it and have to find a way to get it. Some people may say they don’t need everything on their shopping list, but in reality, they do need  it, but their only getting/only finding other products.

Sometimes I feel that our experiences on earth are a practice of choice and will through our very limited senses. 

Anyways, I choose to look at things with a perspective that makes most people think I'm really high. But I really want to make the most out of literally everything I see!

For example, today I saw a bush with no leaves (the other bushes were growing leaves)

Most people: see a leafless bush and don't care.

Me: haha that bush is naked

*shrug*

5 minutes ago, Homer said:

*shrug*

That's me most of the time too. :D 

ôÿē èîęēú ïė ēôēįîûôø
On 4/24/2018 at 10:06 PM, Skullery Maid said:

Here's another great life philosophy from Modern Family... 

"I've always seen life like a series of doors. Sometimes you get to choose the door you go through, and sometimes you don't get that choice. But you still have to walk through it. So either you can go through kicking and screaming, or walk through with your head held high."

I'm curious as to which Modern Family character said this.

• 2 weeks later...
J. van Deijck

I'm kind of a nihilist - life itself doesn't have any deeper meaning in my opinion. we just live and we die and it's up to us how we live it.

I used to identify with misanthropy, but now I feel I'm quite torn between love for people and fear of them + disgust towards their actions. it's pretty hard to explain.

I also believe that laugh can make a lot of things better. so I like to joke and to entertain. I like to make others smile. sometimes it really makes pain easier to bear. I'm also pretty hopeful and tend to see the positive side of things, trying to overcome anxiety that holds me back sometimes. I may seem like a living contradiction then :D

I 'd say I approach life pretty optimistically (Tun hope) because despite all the things that have happened in my many decades, I still take pleasure from things like clouds and birds and flowers and I always feel that there are things to look forward to, but it can be a fight. I keep coming back to some words spoken by Shakespeare's Macbeth (and used by William Faulkner) - that life is a tale told by an idiot , full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. That sentiment resonates with me, and it is so very sad. Pessimistic optimist? Optimistic pessimist?

7 hours ago, [noize:injekktion] said:

I'm kind of a nihilist - life itself doesn't have any deeper meaning in my opinion. we just live and we die and it's up to us how we live it.

I used to identify with misanthropy, but now I feel I'm quite torn between love for people and fear of them + disgust towards their actions. it's pretty hard to explain.

I also believe that laugh can make a lot of things better. so I like to joke and to entertain. I like to make others smile. sometimes it really makes pain easier to bear. I'm also pretty hopeful and tend to see the positive side of things, trying to overcome anxiety that holds me back sometimes. I may seem like a living contradiction then :D

Lol, laughing at yourself is a way more fun coping mechanism than feeling sorry for yourself!!

I really like the existential belief that life doesn't have a set meaning... I myself can make my own meaning whatever the heck I want it to mean!

Duke Memphis

I say that life is about making your legacy. Your legacy is based on your morality and overcoming challenges. Your morality consists of three things: intention, action, and consequence.

Archived