Mum almost gets it...

Fulla

When mum's friend says to me "Oh, you just need to make sure to get a rich husband", and my mum tries to save it with "or, maybe a friend..."

I've told my parents that I'm asexual and aromantic. My mum accepts that I'm asexual and that I'll problably never fall in love with someone, but she refuses to accept that I'll probably never want to live with or have a "romantic like" relationship with anyone. So it's hard when my mum says something like that. She's clearly trying and I feel like such an ungrateful little shit that I can't be happy for it. But when she says something like that it just proves that she doesn't *really* listen to me, doesn't *really* care about what I want. She only cares about what she percieves I need to be happy... And I feel so fucking stupid complaining about it. Oh, boo hoo, my mum want's me to be happy, how horrid of her...

I didn't really have anything more to say, just needed to get this of my chest xx

tobi.is.a.gross.nerd

I get what you mean.

My Mother doesn't really approve or like to talk about my being asexual, but she tries to see how I see sometimes. 

I know I should be grateful she doesn't kick me out of the house or do something along those lines, but it's hard not to be upset about it occasionally. 

Don't invalidate your being upset just because other people have it worse off than you. You still have a right to be upset. Cause yeah, mate, it's upsetting as hell. 

banana monkey

wouldnt you want to live with friends though? (It could be several friends). Living with friends doesnt mean the relationship is romantic looking, its just living with friends like single people tend to live with roomates. I personally would rather live with friends than have random people as roomates (done that before - not the best thing in the world) but maybe your not the same. I cant imagine living on my own my whole life either, would  be too lonely. I only wish I had friends who I wanted to live with/wanted to live with me. 

Sorry maybe I just dont understand why you feel her comment invalidates your asexuality. 

Muir Caileag

I get what you mean! My mother has been on my back about not ruling out relationships and things because I'll hate living alone; and then it just makes me think- Hang on, I do hate being alone! Should I get into a relationship just for always having someone around? I spend a decent chunk of my time alone because I haaaate my housemates, and I do hate it! Do I want this to be my life forever?? I care not for relationships but should I just get one???

And then I remember I'm gonna get myself the BEST doggo one day, and we will need nothing more ^_^

Oh my gosh, my plans for living the high life included a dog, too! They are some of the best cuddlers on a cold day. :) 

I've had one older relative pester me a few time about "courting", and despite my well-thought-out reasons for not pursuing such a relationship at that point, he was too old fashioned to truly accept or understand my viewpoint. Luckily, apart from hearing about it once or twice from my grandmother (different side), he's the only one who's been really caught up on my relationships - or lack of one. 

Roommates are alright, I guess, if they actually clean up after themselves in the kitchen and pick up their trash. That was an annoying couple of months.

I want to live alone to at least have the experience - all that independence, you know? Although I wouldn't really be alone with my big cuddly dog living with me...

Archived