New Study Finds that Asexuals have more Negative Attitudes towards Sex and Romance!

Pramana

This isn't the most interesting study, but I decided to place an explanation mark in the title anyway. Here's the abstract:

"Despite the recent surge of interest in sexuality, asexuality has remained relatively under-researched. Distinct from abstinence or chastity, asexuality refers to a lack of sexual attraction toward others. Past research suggests asexuals have negative attitudes toward sex, though no research has examined implicit attitudes. While preliminary evidence suggests that many asexuals are interested in engaging in romantic relationships, these attitudes have yet to be examined thoroughly, implicitly, or compared with a control group. This study investigated explicit and implicit attitudes toward sex and romance in a group of asexuals (N = 18, age M = 21.11) and a group of controls (N = 27, age M = 21.81), using the Asexuality Identification Scale (AIS), the Triangular Love Scale (TLS), semantic differentials, an Implicit Association Task (IAT), and two Single Category IATs. It was found that asexuals exhibited more negative explicit and implicit attitudes toward sex, as well as more negative explicit attitudes toward romance, relative to controls. There was no significant difference between groups on implicit romantic attitudes. Moreover, aromantic asexuals demonstrated significantly more negative explicit attitudes toward romance than romantic asexuals, though there was no significant difference between groups on implicit measures. Explanations and implications of these findings are discussed."

Bulmer, Maria, and Keise Izuma. “Implicit and Explicit Attitudes Toward Sex and Romance in Asexuals.” The Journal of Sex Research 0, no. 0 (2017): 1-13. http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/114509/

Duke Memphis

I love romance. I don't read romance novels or watch romantic movies (for the most part), I've got life to give me my fill.

RoseGoesToYale

I'm shocked! :o But seriously, since we know now that aces tend to have negative attitudes toward sex, the question becomes why, and which aces?

1 hour ago, Pramana said:

Past research suggests asexuals have negative attitudes toward sex,

Not all of us. I simply don't care. Of course some of us certainly do.

Luftschlosseule

In German, when someone is in love we speak of this person looking through pink-tinted glasses.

Sooo... people who don't wear tinted glasses don't see the world pink? Alias: Are lacking the emotional part that makes people see all the positive bits rather than all of them.

My attitude is not as negative as it used to be because I actually understand better why people have/want sex outside of procreation, but there was a time when it made me a little angry that it was "expected." When you want to get close on a non-physical level and you're given this impression that no one "does that," it's upsetting, so I can see where negativity would emerge. Plus, it's easy to criticize something you don't understand, so it would make sense if an aromantic or asexual, who might not understand romance or sex, developed negative attitudes.

I don't think this study is very surprising. They were looking at the sex-averse, sex-indifferent, sex-favourable gradient and found that asexuals and aromantics make more negative associations and fewer positive associations with sex and romance than sexual romantic people do.

Archived