"Fast Facts" on gURL

Charlieee

So I've been getting gURL emails for years, but never open them and never bother unsubscribing... and then I see one about comic books, and I go in, and then I'm exploring the site, and what do I come across?

http://www.gurl.com/findout/fastfacts/arti...76252-1,00.html

2013 Mod Edit: The above link doesn't work anymore, but its content can be found here. For future reference:

FAST FACTS
image.gif
DEFINITION: Someone who identifies as "asexual" usually experiences little or no sexual attraction to any other person. That said, definitions about what constitutes "sexual attraction" vary widely, even among people who use the word "asexual" to describe themselves.
ASEXUALTY VS. CELIBACY: Asexuality is not the same thing as celibacy, abstinence or impotence. Celibacy is a choice made by people who experience sexual attraction to not act on that attraction. Abstinence is the decision to refrain from sexual activity for religious or philosophical reasons, such as "abstinence before marriage." Impotence is the inability for a male person to get or keep an erection.
CAUSES: Asexuality is not caused by sickness, denial, or sexual trauma--asexuals just aren't interested in sex with other people. Most asexuals are happy being asexual and don't consider it a problem.
RELATIONSHIPS: Asexual people may want to be in romantic relationships with other people, but they most likely will not want to have sex as a part of that relationship.
SEXUAL IDENTITY: People who identify as asexual are not closeted homosexuals. Some people may identify as asexual for a long period of time and then later identify as straight or gay or bisexual. Some people may identify as gay or straight or bi, and also identify as asexual. Some people may identify as bisexual, gay or straight for a long time and then identify as asexual.
SEX: Asexual people can have sex, and sometimes do, but generally are not interested in sex.
IS IT UNHEALTHY?: People who do not engage in sex or experience sexual arousal are not sick or unhealthy. However, sometimes a lack of arousal can be the symptom of medical condition.
ASEXUAL REPRODUCTION: Asexuality is not the same as asexual reproduction, the process by which plants and single-celled organisms reproduce by cellular division (mitosis) or spore formation. Asexual people are capable of sexual reproduction, but usually choose not to do it.
MOVEMENT: There is a growing movement of people who identify as asexual. For more information, check out the AVEN, the Asexuality Visibility and Education Network.

crazyjerseygirl

i like the bit on how were not single celled organisms!

woohoo for recognition!

TTFN

Renee'

On the plus side, those who haven't seen the other thread have seen it now, and possibly congratulated the site.

I know I did. ;p

That is a pretty good essay.

On the plus side, those who haven't seen the other thread have seen it now, and possibly congratulated the site.

I know I did. ;p

I totally missed that link originally. And sent them some lovely feedback. Man! That was so well put together! Yay them! Yay us!

Cool link. Good article.

Archived