UK asexuality conference - 8 July 2018

michaeld

TophatNTails

Registered.

It's great that you've organised this, really. I'm interested to see how many non-ace and media people actually come along (it would be great exposure for us).

Will this be happening next year as I am not sure I will be able to make it this year as I have no one to go with ? 

5 hours ago, TophatNTails said:

Registered.

It's great that you've organised this, really. I'm interested to see how many non-ace and media people actually come along (it would be great exposure for us).

Thank you! Yes that's the idea. We do have some media interest already! I hope we'll get good coverage.

However regarding "non-ace", nearly everyone who has signed up so far is a member of the ace community (we don't ask for people's orientation - we only ask if they are a member of the ace *community*, which will include some sexual allies too) and over the next months we are going to try to attract people from further afield. It'd be great to have help with this - e.g. if anyone can publicise the conference around LGBTQ+ clubs they are involved with.

23 minutes ago, E.W said:

Will this be happening next year as I am not sure I will be able to make it this year as I have no one to go with ? 

I hope so! No guarantees but I'd like to make this a yearly thing. We are also hoping to expand past London. For example, we have a strong base in Scotland. Maybe next year we'll have one in Edinburgh too. But that's a way off! Part of the point of the conference is to plan the future of UK ace activism, including conferences.

I hope you can make it this year too. Is travel the issue? You can PM me with details if you like and I'll see if anything can be done.

Oh man, I've never been to Scotland but I want to go! Maybe that could be my excuse, if I find myself in Europe one year where that happens ;)

Anomaly Q3Xr

I have registered, looking forward to meeting some fellow aces.

I've registered! Look forward to finally getting to meet some people and feeling part of the asexual community :)

Hey! I registered but didn't get an email. Please confirm if my registration form has been accepted thanks 

1 hour ago, kimbo21 said:

Hey! I registered but didn't get an email. Please confirm if my registration form has been accepted thanks 

Hmm. I don't see you! Did you put kimbo21 for online username / handle?

SithAzathoth WinterDragon

Someone in a Facebook wants to know how she can figure out if she's registered for the conference, is there somewhere she can figure that out? 

Say that the next batch of emails is coming soon. If she hasn't got anything in the next day, it means her registration has not been received. Thanks.

Maybe I'm going to have to start sending these email batches daily... I still can't find how to do it automatically.

SithAzathoth WinterDragon
1 hour ago, michaeld said:

Say that the next batch of emails is coming soon. If she hasn't got anything in the next day, it means her registration has not been received. Thanks.

Maybe I'm going to have to start sending these email batches daily... I still can't find how to do it automatically.

I let her know, I also said to message us if she has not got a response.

Tasha the demi squirrel

A friend at work said if there are any posters we might be able to put one up at work? 

• 2 weeks later...
GlamOsprey

I'm genuinely interested but I'm not certain of my availability yet. Are there still many places left?

cutiepastels

just registered! hope I get an email confirmation soon

ThinkNotVanilla

Question for @michaeld: Will there be any BoF (Bird of a Feather) sessions for alternative tracks? I'd like a forum to question our LGBTQA++++ membership, left-wing/liberal tendencies of Aces, whether Pride marches in the UK are now surplus to requirements, challenging labels, genetically Ace(?), fetishes, political correctness/victimisation, improving awareness versus seeing inclusions/rights, and questioning the term 'asexual community'. All subjects I'm sure aren't in the spirit of the Conference, but I'd like to see discussion around. :) 

Disclaimer: I've been the Layout Editor for the AVENues magazine for a year, so not a trouble maker to the Community!

Interesting points, ThinkNotVanilla. I think these are issues worthy of discussion, but the conference probably won't be the right venue for them. I'll PM to discuss this further though.

• 2 weeks later...

is there a specific postcode or location for this? Westminster College is bringing up multiple google maps hits. Just looking for hotels nearby really.

I'd like to go but I'd be attending on my own, do you think it'd be weird to just turn up by myself? Are most people coming in groups?

Sorry I get a bit anxious going new places alone, but I really want to meet more ace people :)

@AikoM I will also be going on my own so you won't be the only anxious person there:I'll be pretty anxious too. Like you, though, I want to meet some ace people - I don't know anybody ace . I'm reluctant to turn up at a meet because they seem very social and loose (in a nice way!) and maybe cater for younger people than  myself. Maybe the conference would be a little more structured and that would help me. Don't know. I'm going to go though. 

@Tunhope I'm also hoping that the structure of a conference will make it easier! Even if I feel awkward I can just sit and listen :)

On 6/7/2018 at 10:23 PM, Tciernn said:

is there a specific postcode or location for this? Westminster College is bringing up multiple google maps hits. Just looking for hotels nearby really.

I don't know the postcode but it's the Marylebone Campus.

5 hours ago, AikoM said:

I'd like to go but I'd be attending on my own, do you think it'd be weird to just turn up by myself? Are most people coming in groups?

Sorry I get a bit anxious going new places alone, but I really want to meet more ace people :)

Is it weird that you come alone? No!

29 minutes ago, Tunhope said:

@AikoM I will also be going on my own so you won't be the only anxious person there:I'll be pretty anxious too. Like you, though, I want to meet some ace people - I don't know anybody ace . I'm reluctant to turn up at a meet because they seem very social and loose (in a nice way!) and maybe cater for younger people than  myself. Maybe the conference would be a little more structured and that would help me. Don't know. I'm going to go though. 

To both you and AikoM, you'll both be welcomed if you go, and as for meets, they may appear to cater to younger people, but normally everyone is welcome to go, and expect the possibility of new people joining. If in doubt feel free to post in the meet up thread or pm the orginiser, who'll be happy to provide info if needed.

Yep - I think most people will be going alone! The conference is supposed to be for people new to the (online / in-person) ace community - and indeed people outside the community - just as much as for regulars. It's fine if you want to just sit and listen, but we definitely encourage getting involved with the discussions as much as you feel comfortable to.

I also hope a spread of ages will come. Being in my mid-30s, I'm pretty old myself by AVEN standards (ha!), but hopefully we'll cater to all ages. Last time we did this in London, back in 2012, the first person to arrive was an asexual woman in her 80s who had only just discovered the term. 😛

It's been pointed out we should probably be clearer about the location. The venue is the Marylebone campus of Westminster University, right opposite Baker Street station. See here for more details and a google map:

https://www.westminster.ac.uk/business/facilities-and-services/venues-for-hire/conference-and-venues/marylebone

The main lecture room we'll use is the Cayley lecture theatre, also listed on that site. (We'll also use a nearby classroom for parallel sessions.)

TheRealMrGray

Hi guys, myself and my husband have registered for this and looking forward to it! See you there.

marshalldude

Hi, quick question me and a friend have each booked a space at the event but my friend isnt sure that she can make it on time for the 9am start.  Is she able to come slightly later at say 11am or would she need to cancel her space?

Horse Ham Radio
5 hours ago, marshalldude said:

Hi, quick question me and a friend have each booked a space at the event but my friend isnt sure that she can make it on time for the 9am start.  Is she able to come slightly later at say 11am or would she need to cancel her space?

Coming for 11 is fine. Registration will be open all day :)

theotherpope

I've just registered for this too 😊 I'll be travelling up and attending by myself but I'm really looking forward to meeting other ace people.

Clumsy Fairy

I have applied... If my application is accepted, I can give lifts from South B-ham down the m40 to London. I am also happy to share a room with anyone. 

I want to set off the day before, and leave the day after. I will be bringing my mobility scooter, but if someone needs to transport a wheel chair, etc, I can help. 

Clumsy Fairy

I don't suppose you want a speaker to shout the virtues of AS-NS.net, and other alternative asexual communities? (Did I just ask that out loud?)

Archived