UK asexuality conference - 8 July 2018

michaeld

We are delighted to announce the UK Asexuality conference on 8 July 2018 at the University of Westminster, the day after the Pride London march.

Registration is free. This one-day conference will comprise talks, panel discussions and interactive sessions. Likely topics include

• discussions on asexuality, grey-A identities,
  • relationships and romantic orientations,
  • intersectionality with gender identities, and
  • the future of UK ace activism.

There is also a free lunch with cake. :)

The conference is open to people of any orientation. Some of you may remember the WorldPride 2012 conference in London. This conference will likely have more of a UK focus - we do not expect as many international visitors - but even so, people from any country are welcome to come.

The conference will take place at Westminster University, just across the road from Baker Street underground station. This allows easy access to the mainline stations, for people travelling for the day from outside London. We will also look into the possibility of group accommodation, if we get enough interest from visitors to the area.

To register for the conference please click here. We do not charge for entry. However as the number of places are limited to roughly 200, if you register and later cannot make it, we would really appreciate a cancellation note in advance to free up your space. We will also need to know how many are coming to order the appropriate amount of food.,

We would appreciate any help advertising the conference both online and in person (e.g. if you have contacts in LGBTQ+ groups). Later on today, I'll share our social media links. If you'd like to help out with the organisation in any other way, please send me a PM or write an email to UKAceCon2018@gmail.com.

EDIT: It's been pointed out we should probably be clearer about the location. The venue is the Marylebone campus of the University of Westminster, right opposite Baker Street station. See here for more details and a google map:

https://www.westminster.ac.uk/business/facilities-and-services/venues-for-hire/conference-and-venues/marylebone

The main lecture room we'll use is the Cayley lecture theatre, also listed on that site. (We'll also use a nearby classroom for parallel sessions.)

*starts plotting and scheming to be able to come*

2 hours ago, Heart said:

*starts plotting and scheming to be able to come*

Yay! Look forward to seeing you there, hopefully. :cake:

Oh and we now have a facebook page!!! (Thanks Kelico! :cake:) Please - everyone who has Facebook - like and share!

https://www.facebook.com/UKAceConference/

I clicked 'here' but I'm not sure anything happened. I would like to come to the conference.I'm not on Facebook.

Thank you @BlueOrbit

I have just completed the form on the link.

Everyone, this is the link in the UK meet-up mart 

London conference 08.07.18

and the Pride parade 

London Pride Parade 07.08.18

This  ONLY applies if entering the parade on the Saturday, could you please register your name on that thread as numbers on the day are limited

Tasha the demi squirrel

When is the deadline for registering? Because although I'm hoping to come I won't know just yet

4 hours ago, Tasha27 said:

When is the deadline for registering? Because although I'm hoping to come I won't know just yet

There is no deadline. However we are limited to 200 places - lecture theatre size! - so it's first come first served. Also for people with special requirements, we might not be able to accommodate late requests.

Or if you were referring to the Pride London march then I think the same applies but the limit is much lower. 56 if I remember rightly?

banana monkey

What is the timing of this conference? I cant find it anywhere. It is a consideration when working out if I can travel on the day. 

Thanks for the question, banana monkey! Good point. We're going to announce the full timetable later, but the timing will be 0900-1900. The first hour (0900-1000) will be registration. The first session will start at 1000. After 1900, we will likely go find a pub.

I'll get the timing info added!

I really like the registration form – choose exactly what “name” appears on your badge, and if/what pronouns as well!

(The “first name”/“family name” thing isn’t ideal, because not everybody’s names are formatted that way – but giving free choice over what appears on the badges is a nice touch I haven’t seen before.)

Registered! Thanks a lot for organising this! My friend might wish to come but they are worrying  because they are not Ace, and may find it uncomfortable to be there...

2 hours ago, alexwlchan said:

I really like the registration form – choose exactly what “name” appears on your badge, and if/what pronouns as well!

(The “first name”/“family name” thing isn’t ideal, because not everybody’s names are formatted that way – but giving free choice over what appears on the badges is a nice touch I haven’t seen before.)

The family name is supposed to be optional. Still we're open to rephrasing if there is a better way? We want to encourage people to put their full name on the registration form *if* they are comfortable doing so, so two fields seemed like a better idea. We could maybe change family name to something like "family name (if you have one)"?

Falcon - your friend would be welcome. We are open to all orientations. We hope it will be a comfortable environment for everyone, but it's up to them...

Tasha the demi squirrel

I have registered

If I end up unable to make it I'll let you know

I should be able to get there for the conference. Would like to be in the march, but not sure if I can yet.

banana monkey
23 hours ago, michaeld said:

Thanks for the question, banana monkey! Good point. We're going to announce the full timetable later, but the timing will be 0900-1900. The first hour (0900-1000) will be registration. The first session will start at 1000. After 1900, we will likely go find a pub.

I'll get the timing info added!

Thanks, a little earlier than I expected - doesnt seem to be that much time for those travelling on the day.  I planned to travel on the day, as I dont want to go to pride and it seems silly to spend money on accommodation in that case given that I live relatively close. However, it being a Sunday (trains starting later) means I would be pushing it a bit fine. I will see if I can get around it. 

12 hours ago, michaeld said:

The family name is supposed to be optional. Still we're open to rephrasing if there is a better way? We want to encourage people to put their full name on the registration form *if* they are comfortable doing so, so two fields seemed like a better idea. We could maybe change family name to something like "family name (if you have one)"?

It has the red required star, so I wasn’t sure if it was optional?

My preferred approach to name is just a freeform text box that says “name”, and let people write as much or as little as they’d like. Since you’re letting people choose what they write on badges, whether somebody’s name follows a first name-family name construction is less important?

(The topic of asking for names is a thorny one!)

1 hour ago, banana monkey said:

Thanks, a little earlier than I expected - doesnt seem to be that much time for those travelling on the day.  I planned to travel on the day, as I dont want to go to pride and it seems silly to spend money on accommodation in that case given that I live relatively close. However, it being a Sunday (trains starting later) means I would be pushing it a bit fine. I will see if I can get around it. 

Noted for future reference. We have the rooms 0900-1900 and a lot of potential sessions so it makes sense to use the time we have as best we can. However the first session won't start till 1000.

34 minutes ago, alexwlchan said:

It has the red required star, so I wasn’t sure if it was optional?

My preferred approach to name is just a freeform text box that says “name”, and let people write as much or as little as they’d like. Since you’re letting people choose what they write on badges, whether somebody’s name follows a first name-family name construction is less important?

(The topic of asking for names is a thorny one!)

Ah yeah it was technically required but with advice to write "none" if you don't have one. I've changed it now so that it's optional. I hope this looks better?

Yes as you say, we maybe should just have one entry for "name". As we've already started it this way, we'll keep two name entries this time. It also makes it more convenient for the name tags. For example someone may put their full name on the form but only wish their first name to appear on their badge. Having separate entries makes this a little easier to manage for us. But we'll keep your alternative in mind for next time. :)

AFlyingPiglet

I completed the form and then went back into the form to look at something.  I'm wondering if going back in cancelled out my registration?  If it did, I will need to register again. Please can you let me know as I don't want to register twice.  I did say I was AFlyingPiglet on the entry so it should be obvious its me.

Don't worry - we got your registration!

As a few people have asked, I'm going to look into whether google forms can send an automatic confirmation on receiving the registration. We'll be sending our own emails to everyone before too long, but an instant email might be nice.

Tasha the demi squirrel
14 hours ago, michaeld said:

confirmation on receiving the registration

This would be useful 

ThinkNotVanilla

I'll definitely be coming :) Here's hoping for some controversial topics to dig into. 

We don't get a confirmation email when we register, right? I registered earlier today and just want to check I'm not accidentally missing out!

Not just at the moment I'm afraid! I would if I knew how to. But don't worry; we got your entry!

Tasha the demi squirrel

Maybe pm us on here to confirm

Well I've just sent everyone who registered an email. (What I don't know how to do is get it sent automatically, as soon as someone registers.) So if you tried to register but didn't get an email, something is wrong! PM me if so.

heh, I need someone else to write these emails - to add more colours and cake and things...

That reminds me: we are about to design a poster to put up in various strategic places advertising the conference. I mentioned it in the email. Anyone like to help design this? I can give you the info to put on, but I'm far from a graphic designer...

Irishexilefighterpilot

I have registered. Will be good to see and meet some fellow aces outside of the meetup group I go to

Archived