Asexy TV now on YouTube

Children of the sloth

Whoa. That was totally awesome, dude. (Tubuler, gnarly, other such old fashioned slang.)

"See all your favorite AVEN characters moving and talking in 3-D, coming to a computer near you."

Re: when he's with other people, they treat him with more respect...

We need to start forming tough, aggressive asexual gangs, people! We will all wear gang colors, and stalk around the neighborhood looking mean and bad, and then run all the sexuals off our turf!

Great stuff, thanks for those.

I'm feeling pretty good about The View interview. Yeah, some of them seemed to be quite sceptical, but they probably summed up a lot of feeling of the people who were watching it, and David did great job covering critique. I wouldn't want asexuality to be treated as a fragile subject that shouldn't be criticized.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay I pretty much cringed watching these, it seems that asexuality is pointed at a prodded with a very doubtful stick, people dont understand. They think we are cold creatures uncabable of attraction, or there is something WRONG with our non sexuality.

I'm sorry but I simply got the feeling that these were like wildlife programmes "Look at the asexual, see how he congregates, look how he behaves in his internet habitat."

It's distubrbing to see these people try and understand asexuality, like a kid trying to solve a math problem, or understand the concept of life on other plannets- we're not aliens! And reacting this way, with doubt, mocking humour, or even suggesting it be a problem that needs to be cured isn't going to help at all. Also, its tricky when asexuality isnt as clear cut as other sexualities, there are many different types of prefrence and lifestyles of an asexual, which I don't think was understood.

Okay, so it gets the message out, but I couldnt help being disappointed.

It's true, some people aren't as open or accepting to asexuality as I'd want, but hey, at least they're making an effort. Why punish a D math student for trying over and over again to solve a problem s/he just doesn't understand? S/he can still try.

Besides, it seems longer but I guess you could say that the "asexuality movement" has just begun. It's been, what, five years? For something as abstract as orientation and identity, that's not a very long time.

And besides, I think some of them did a pretty good job. The only one I didn't like was The View. I think. *goes to rewatch them*

• 3 weeks later...
Re: when he's with other people, they treat him with more respect...

We need to start forming tough, aggressive asexual gangs, people! We will all wear gang colors, and stalk around the neighborhood looking mean and bad, and then run all the sexuals off our turf!

What should we call ourselves? I say grey-white should be our gang colour!

(Hah, I'm getting a flashback to the Chicken Fries commercial...)

BTW, I'm going to watch these vids. Thank god for my headphones, I might die if Daddy walked in on this...

• 2 weeks later...

I just have to say this. I like the publicity, it helps let people know the option is out there, but it makes the asexual case harder to argue when most of the asexuals on TV have never had sex. It just lends itself to the "Well how do you know if you've never tried?" Of courese the double standard would be to ask a hetero how they know if they've never had with the same sex.

Stupid double standards.

the_dancing_spangle

The fact that the interviewers just DON'T UNDERSTAND boggles me. how come they can't seem to imagine living a non-sexual life? Don't they remember what it was like to be children?

I also hate that "try it you'll like it mentality" Sexual people didn't "try" sex, they wanted it first and then went out and got it. Likewise I don't think the majority of homosexuals "tried" being gay before discovering they liked it. Nor would a straight person become gay by "trying" it. Or a gay person becoming straight by "trying" it. Everybody knows that sexual orientation is not the result of experimentation.

Adventuress Heart
The fact that the interviewers just DON'T UNDERSTAND boggles me. how come they can't seem to imagine living a non-sexual life? Don't they remember what it was like to be children?

I also hate that "try it you'll like it mentality" Sexual people didn't "try" sex, they wanted it first and then went out and got it. Likewise I don't think the majority of homosexuals "tried" being gay before discovering they liked it. Nor would a straight person become gay by "trying" it. Or a gay person becoming straight by "trying" it. Everybody knows that sexual orientation is not the result of experimentation.

True, in fact it's sad that the reaction of others may push some asexuals to "try" things way beyond what they feel comfortable with just to come to the conclusion that they are asexual.

At some points in my life I felt I was going to sacrifice myself, not for the sake of trying, but for the sake of others (family pressures.. etc)

I'm glad I'm where I want to be today, if others can't put up with it or can't understand then thats just too bad.

the_dancing_spangle

If all the people who were "different" and misunderstood in this world sacrificed themselves, imagine how the world would be.... YUCK. Not a place anyone would want to live, I'm sure...

WOW.

Seriously!

I didn't know that we were THIS out........being on SHOWS?!

...beyond 20/20......such as the freakin' VIEW?!

Wow. Dude. Seriously. David Jay...you rule man. I used to think you just ruled...but now....holy crap.

GO US!

• 1 month later...

Finally managed to watch these today. Fantastic! So AVENites move and talk and everything! :D

Thats wonderful, but I hated the fact that the people doing the interview showed no understanding of what was being said. And thinking about it, its kinda like what the gays went through back in the 70's/80's, everyone thought it wasn't real, that it was unatural, it was a hormone thing yadda yadda yadda, thinking that them selves were right and they were wrong. Though, for myself, being an Asexual has made me understand and sympathize with all sexualities, and I know it isn't fare that people judge and make fun of them because of who they are. I just wish that people would lighten up and be happy for what people are.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I absolutely could not agree more. I just don't get how it's so hard for people to understand...

I absolutely could not agree more. I just don't get how it's so hard for people to understand...

Same here, how can they not see that it's not any different?

It was kind of amusing/somewhat annoying how they just kept on asking the same questions over and over and then just gawking and stuttering

This face sums it up >>> :shock:

They veiw made me pretty queasy too, its one thing to be critical, but its a completely different thing to be so rude to David Jay. They kept interupting him as he was trying to explain things to them (the one with the blonde hair was polite though, the one sitting next to her with the short red hair was obnoxious)

I think for the most part, the 20/20 one was pretty decent, the sex therapist got on my nerves, expecially when she said that asexuals were

"Uncurious" and "Unadverturous" Would anyone go up to a straight person and say "you won't have sex with the opposite sex, you most not be adventurous/curious?"

No. They wouldn't.

Also when she mentioned the religiosity bit i was like "WTF!?" I've read plenty of posts about religious people saying how "unnatural" asexuality is and that asexuality can't be real because sexuality is a "gift from god" :roll:

I am happy though that the word is getting out about asexuality, i'm just hoping that eventually all the ridiculous misconseptions will become out dated, just as a lot of misconseptions about homosexuality and bisexuality for the most part aren't believed anymore.

anyway, tons of visibility awards! :vis: :vis: :vis: :)

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, thanks for posting the interiews! They're informtive, but I can't do anything but to laugh on how disrespectful the women from "The View" were :roll: Instead of ansking informative questions, they have to joke about the situation.

Wow, thanks for posting the interiews! They're informtive, but I can't do anything but to laugh on how disrespectful the women from "The View" were :roll: Instead of ansking informative questions, they have to joke about the situation.

Ahh I love watching that one. It's hilarious :lol: As much as it sucks that DJ was put into that position, he totally kept his cool and withstood all of those ladies' ickiness.

Just be thankful that it doesn't have any of the controversy the show gets today... like the whole fight thing between Rosie and Donald Trump... :shock:

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

I hated Dr Joy's accusatory tone...."there needs to be more legitimate information, blah blah blah, from experts." Oh, like she's an expert on asexuality? It's hard to be an expert on something if you don't understand it at all.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to say thank you so much for posting these up! I've been wanting to see them forever! Now I just have to wait for them to download. ^^

Quick question though: Wasn't there also a program broadcasted in Canada about us too, around last year or so? Anyone know what happened with that?

Live R Perfect

Wow! Long time no see, Tom Nook. I recognise the avatar but I don't recall your original member name. Anyhow, wasn't the Canadian Discovery Channel thing broadcast around the end of 2004? I don't know if I ever did see a copy of that. Anyone?

I didn't get why Dr. Joy seemed so personally offended at the idea of asexuals existing. Maybe she was just agitated because the notion of asexuals is contrary to the ideas in her book. :?

As per dolo's excellent suggestion, here are the recordings from our various TV appearances of 2006 easily viewable on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=husongshu

I'll add new ones as they come along.

Wow,

personally, I just LOVE the whole "what is the CAUSE of it" thing, seeing as I have been spendinging the years since pueberty wondering what is the cause of all those crazy people acting like that!

PS. David Jay is HOOOOOT (in a totally I want to never touch you, sketch you and have your puppies/kittens kind of way ;)

• 1 month later...

They were great to see - thanks for posting them.

I have to say though there's a whole lot of irony in Dr Joy Davidson calling asexuals "narrow-minded" and "blind to possiblities"...