The asexuals and intelligence?

YaMi

hi,
am newbie there and don't really know myself for 100%. but that's not what I wanna talk about.
I am thinking of asexuals as of another people, yet wondering if our less sexual activity can bring us more knowledge. I don't think that every asexual is wisser than person who is sexually active, however we have more time for ourselves, so we can earn more knowledge about people or about lots of things we are interested in, because our sexual time is not big.. We don't really looking for sexual partner, we don't spend time for persuadion another to hase sex with us, so we save some more of free time to think. 
So do you spend your time with self education and self studying for being wisser? 

To be frank I don't think there's any correlation. Seeking out a partner isn't *that* time consuming for folks that are into that kind of thing and some of the things they get up to while courting is perfectly fine for gaining wisdom.

As an aside, it's spelled "wiser".

Any asexual can be as dumb as any sexual. Also, any sexual can be as wise as any asexual. Another point is that we shouldn't mistake knowledge and education for being intelligent. One can be intelligent, but not textbook smart and vice versa. There's also more than one type of intelligence. Aside from that classic one, we have emotional, spatial etc. as well. As for knowledge, it's not like any healthy sexual thinks exclusively about sex. And thinking about sex doesn't exclude a sexual individual from taking any form of education.

Long story short - I don't think one's sexuality has anything to do with intelligence and/or education.

I don't think asexuals necessarily spend more time by themselves thinking. We could spend time doing lots of things, being with friends, playing sports, watching TV, you name it. Not necessarily "intellectual" pursuits. And though we might not seek out a sexual partner, we might seek out a romantic one. Also, I'm sure plenty of sexuals spend a lot of time on their own thinking. It has more to do with other factors, like introversion vs. extraversion, than sexuality IMO.

Well using myself as example and i am far from the smartest person ever. I don´t think i have to say more.

andreas1033

I will give you a hint on what you just wrote.

There is an idea called "bread and circuses"

Its that if you give the public enough to eat and games and rubbish to fill there time, they will be happy.

Sports and soap operas are a perfect example, of ways the ptb make sure, the public use all there energy and focus on stuff that has no meaning in the world, and there own lifes.

Part of the answer to what you asked, is bread and circuses. Ponder, on what that means, and why the ptb gave the public this, and you will be able to answer your own question. If you have asked this question, you probably are capable of answering why bread and circuses are important.

You can answer it for yourself, if your smart enough to know to ask such a question.

This feels elitist.

WinterWanderer

No. Sex doesn't actually take up that much of a typical person's free time. And even if it does, an asexual is not more likely than a sexual to spend their free time on intellectual pursuits....

Also, just pointing this out: studying/educating oneself doesn't necessarily make someone wiser.

I guess it just means that you (general you) have something else you pass the time with. Work, travel, eating pizza, drawing, taking your dog for a walk...

1 hour ago, Cathara said:

To be frank I don't think there's any correlation. Seeking out a partner isn't *that* time consuming for folks that are into that kind of thing and some of the things they get up to while courting is perfectly fine for gaining wisdom.

As an aside, it's spelled "wiser".

I am not english speaker, and it's hard for me to speak english. so sorry :)

1 hour ago, TheAP said:

I don't think asexuals necessarily spend more time by themselves thinking. We could spend time doing lots of things, being with friends, playing sports, watching TV, you name it. Not necessarily "intellectual" pursuits. And though we might not seek out a sexual partner, we might seek out a romantic one. Also, I'm sure plenty of sexuals spend a lot of time on their own thinking. It has more to do with other factors, like introversion vs. extraversion, than sexuality IMO.

maybe I should write the introvert aces :) 

A shard of glass

Uhhh... more spare time doesn't really mean "more time to study", it usually just means "more time to pursue hobbies". Think of sexytimes as a hobby.

Now you have a more accurate view of how everyone spends their spare time :)

Asexuals are heavier, because we have more time to eat cake. :ph34r:

A shard of glass
8 minutes ago, timewarp said:

Asexuals are heavier, because we have more time to eat cake. :ph34r:

I am eating cookies as I type, and I approve this message

Randomchaos
27 minutes ago, CBC said:

Ahhhh yes. The asexual elitism thing again.

Me too stoopid to understand the things because SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX. Cannot brain. Oh, dearest enlightened asexuals, please tell me how to be "wisser" like you. I haz the dumb. :(

Lmao. Awww CBC you should stick around more often. Almost forgot how much I love reading your posts :cake:

I am perfectly capable of wasting time on silly things like social media sites and watching TV without getting any more knowledgeable or wiser about the world. In fact, I really wanted to read my books yesterday so what did I do instead? Yep, spent two - three hours bouncing between Facebook, Goodreads, and AVEN. I finally made myself go outside and water the side yard just to get some activity in my day. :D

I've known several highly educated fools who demonstrated the difference between intelligence and wisdom. By the same token many ignorant people can be very wise. 

4 hours ago, andreas1033 said:

Part of the answer to what you asked, is bread and circuses

This is an excellent point. People in my culture aren't all stupid but are still encouraged to think less. I've learned to tune out all the noise so maybe I just appear to be more intelligent. Then again maybe that part of my brain that is connected to sexual attraction is being used for something else. This could contribute to intelligence but it is just as likely that it helps prevent constipation instead. I just don't know ...

You might think that, but it can just give you more time to dick around online doing pointless, mindless and repetitive shit, just one less thing to have as an excuse to procrastinate. XD

Alejandrogynous
4 hours ago, Baggage_warrior said:

Uhhh... more spare time doesn't really mean "more time to study", it usually just means "more time to pursue hobbies". Think of sexytimes as a hobby.

Now you have a more accurate view of how everyone spends their spare time :)

"Man, you're so lucky you don't collect stamps - you must have so much free time!" :lol:

9 hours ago, YaMi said:

I am thinking of asexuals as of another people, yet wondering if our less sexual activity can bring us more knowledge.

Knowledge will be gained by anyone who seeks it. Same with growth.

You mention wisdom. This means, you've gone out and experienced life. Learned and grew from your mistakes. You can have a healthy sex life, and still do this. I fail to see how this would stop you.

If you're a lazy nympho, and just want to have sex all day, all night to the tune of not even looking for a job. Then yeah--this may be an argument for someone who's an idiot. But the same could be said for a lazy asexual, wasting their lives and not spending any time on themselves to learn.

Its essentially saying sexual people don't have the capacity of self-control. Many do.

Some of my friends are highly sexual, but spend tons of time reading books and learning, too. Their thirst for knowledge either matches or exceeds my own.

I'll look at that portion of your attitude to determine where a person will be 5 years from now. Not who they're sleeping with.

Asexuality removes a big distraction in life, but also removes a big driving force for success.  Not clear how those two balance out. 

Randomchaos
16 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

I'll look at that portion of your attitude to determine where a person will be 5 years from now. Not who they're sleeping with.

This is exactly the problem.

People get on a moral high horse about sex, and I look at their everyday lives and want to rofl. Because they are less productive than the person they were just complaining about.

Sexuality plays no part in intelligence. Intelligence is about attitude and work ethic. Anyone who says it is tied to sexuality or race is just being ridiculous. 

WinterWanderer
2 hours ago, uhtred said:

Asexuality removes a big distraction in life, but also removes a big driving force for success.  Not clear how those two balance out. 

How is sex "a big driving force for success"? Unless someone is sleeping with their boss to get a promotion, I don't see how sex, or lack of it, can influence your ability to succeed. :P 

WinterWanderer
1 minute ago, CBC said:

Whilst I get it, it seems a little far-fetched, many people are (unsurprisingly!) more functional in life when they feel an overall contentment and fulfilment of particular psychological needs. Sexuality can feel like a vital part of who they are, so shutting that part down (say, in the case of someone in a relationship with an asexual partner) or simply just not having an outlet or direction for it due to life circumstances, can be very depressing. And having a fulfilling connection with their own sexuality can likewise improve overall mood and functioning. I know asexuals won't have a personal understanding of that, so it'll sound ridiculous (and that's fine, so long as it's accepted as being true), but it really can make a difference. People whose emotional and psychological needs are met are healthier, happier, more productive individuals.

That's one way it's true, anyway.

That does make sense. But to me, that seems like something that someone who is celibate, or as you said, a sexual person with an asexual partner, would have more issues with. Versus someone who is asexual and typically doesn't have sexual desires that need fulfilling.

But I can see how, if someone is asexual and their emotional and psychological needs aren't being met (such as in a relationship), that would keep them from being productive. But I'm not sure regarding sexual fulfillment. I guess it just varies from person to person.

Telecaster68
1 hour ago, CBC said:

Sexuality can feel like a vital part of who they are, so shutting that part down (say, in the case of someone in a relationship with an asexual partner) or simply just not having an outlet or direction for it due to life circumstances, can be very depressing. And having a fulfilling connection with their own sexuality can likewise improve overall mood and functioning.

This.

2 hours ago, Rynn said:

How is sex "a big driving force for success"? Unless someone is sleeping with their boss to get a promotion, I don't see how sex, or lack of it, can influence your ability to succeed. :P 

A desire to impress people

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2018 at 12:25 PM, CBC said:

People whose emotional and psychological needs are met are healthier, happier, more productive individuals.

Look it up:  Maslow's hierarchy, Psych 101.  Agreed!

Ms. Carolynne

There are plenty of things to waste one's time on, and more to life than sex and study.

Archived