Weird Feelings Towards Friends

miss_confused_af

miss_confused_af

Alright, so I know for a fact that I'm not demiromantic (I'm actually aromantic, as I've never had a crush or been in love a day in my life), but I keep getting weird feelings towards my friends. Sometimes, I'll look at my best friend and I just kinda want to kiss her, but my feelings for her and all my other friends I get this way with are purely platonic. It doesn't happen often, but I'll get sexual fantasies with a couple of these friends, who I still only like platonically! I'm still in my late teens, so could it just be hormones that are affecting me, or something else? Idk I'm just super confused. (Also, I'm new to this site, so I apologize if I accidentally uploaded this to the wrong forum!)

I've had these same things happen to me. I tried researching it and what I found was that it's one of two things. Hormones is definitely one, and is a common explanation, but another part is instant attraction to people that are kind to you or people that relate to you (or you connect with) on some level. Acknowledging this (for me) helped control my attraction to my friends, and I was able to keep it platonic. But I started the habit of dismissing any romantic feelings at a young age, and so now whenever I feel even a slight bit of attraction to someone I doubt it completely, so I'd keep this in mind and not completely dismiss your feelings. 

Also, welcome to AVEN, I'm new too :cake:^_^

miss_confused_af
55 minutes ago, MelBel said:

I've had these same things happen to me. I tried researching it and what I found was that it's one of two things. Hormones is definitely one, and is a common explanation, but another part is instant attraction to people that are kind to you or people that relate to you (or you connect with) on some level. Acknowledging this (for me) helped control my attraction to my friends, and I was able to keep it platonic. But I started the habit of dismissing any romantic feelings at a young age, and so now whenever I feel even a slight bit of attraction to someone I doubt it completely, so I'd keep this in mind and not completely dismiss your feelings. 

Also, welcome to AVEN, I'm new too :cake:^_^

Thank you so much! This helped a ton! I thought I was just really weird, but I'm glad that I'm not the only one!

paperbackreader

When I was about 7/8, I had an impulse out of nowhere in response to something happy that happened at recess and kissed my best friend on the cheek. We are of the same gender and it kinda made us both go 'omg with what just happened'  a split second after I did that.. 

My best friend just made me so immensely happy for a reason I now can't recall and that's what I do with mom and dad when they made me happy so that's what I did! 

I don't think I've ever had that impulse again. I've certainly not acted on it. Nowadays if someone makes me feel happy I mostly just give a giant YAY.

We're still friends over 20 years and many miles in between later but we've never spoken about that incident!!! 

Archived