What is fandom?

Frogster

11 hours ago, Shieldmaiden WinterDragon said:

I like your name by the way

The juxtaposition of information clusters you presented is really interesting. Do you walk around in the world open to all of them simultaneously or are they compartments with bridges between them. I ask because I'm trying to figure out how and if to navigate given various online possibilities and the world where I grow plants and have a dog.

for example

there is a lot of geological interest here---outside---rocks, cliffs fault lines etc

there is geology I remember--happening to be looking the right direction when St Helens blew

there are actual earthquakes that I don't care to be present for

there are words that can be used for communicating or not

there is that video of yours that reminds me of earthquakes and volcanoes

there are people on main street

there are people who come here

how do you get from say a rock to this place and back on a regular basis?

I don't know if I am making sense at all.

SithAzathoth WinterDragon
1 minute ago, froglady said:

The juxtaposition of information clusters you presented is really interesting. Do you walk around in the world open to all of them simultaneously or are they compartments with bridges between them. I ask because I'm trying to figure out how and if to navigate given various online possibilities and the world where I grow plants and have a dog.

for example

there is a lot of geological interest here---outside---rocks, cliffs fault lines etc

there is geology I remember--happening to be looking the right direction when St Helens blew

there are actual earthquakes that I don't care to be present for

there are words that can be used for communicating or not

there is that video of yours that reminds me of earthquakes and volcanoes

there are people on main street

there are people who come here

how do you get from say a rock to this place and back on a regular basis?

I don't know if I am making sense at all.

I specialize in volcanism more than the old "rock " saying people get all the time. Also earthquakes are in that aea to in what I specialize in, I've been through 3 volcanic eruptions on the plinian scale and I loved it.

3 minutes ago, Shieldmaiden WinterDragon said:

I specialize in volcanism more than the old "rock " saying people get all the time. Also earthquakes are in that aea to in what I specialize in, I've been through 3 volcanic eruptions on the plinian scale and I loved it.

I live relatively close to Mt Borah and associated faultlines. Maybe it would be easier to get from an earthquake to a fandom and back than if one was coming from a rock.

Guess I have the tendency to hang on to rocks and run from earthquakes.

13 minutes ago, froglady said:

I live relatively close to Mt Borah and associated faultlines. Maybe it would be easier to get from an earthquake to a fandom and back than if one was coming from a rock.

Guess I have the tendency to hang on to rocks and run from earthquakes.

I find earthquakes kind of fun, as I'm in an earthquake region. Just under a year  we've had a 7.1 and a 7.8 quake, I was more excited by them than others who claimed to be terrified. Our buildings are built to the standards needed to survive a quake and our bridges, since the 1964 quake it's state policy to have all buildings built to withstand such large quakes.

1 minute ago, Shieldmaiden WinterDragon said:

I find earthquakes kind of fun, as I'm in an earthquake region. Just under a year  we've had a 7.1 and a 7.8 quake, I was more excited by them than others who claimed to be terrified. Our buildings are built to the standards needed to survive a quake and our bridges, since the 1964 quake it's state policy to have all buildings built to withstand such large quakes.

I live in an old brick house. 

I think that 1964 was around the time the house I used to live in in Kenai fell into Cook Inlet. I don't remember for sure.

I need to think about changing my attitude toward earthquakes. It never occurred to me to respond to them with anything but fear. Fear isn't all that helpful to me, especially when something potentially dangerous is happening. 

1 minute ago, froglady said:

I live in an old brick house. 

I think that 1964 was around the time the house I used to live in in Kenai fell into Cook Inlet. I don't remember for sure.

I need to think about changing my attitude toward earthquakes. It never occurred to me to respond to them with anything but fear. Fear isn't all that helpful to me, especially when something potentially dangerous is happening. 

WELL!! Hello there fellow former Alaskan! Yeah,  We scientists say it's best to remain calm during our nice shakers.  Do you remember Redoubt and SSSSSpurrrrrsss eruptions :P I remember Spurrs more than Redoubts but love the photos of Redoubts eruptions... (Sorry for the excitement) 

1 minute ago, Shieldmaiden WinterDragon said:

WELL!! Hellop  there fellow former Alaskan! Yeah,  We scientists say it's best to remain calm during our nice shakers.  Do you remember Redoubt and SSSSSpurrrrrsss eruptions :P I remember Spurrs more than Redoubts but love the photos of Redoubts eruptions... (Sorry for the excitement) 

I don't remember those, but I can certainly go find photos. The only eruption I have actually seen was St Helens. I just happened to be looking the right direction when it started. Really neat. The problem with fear is that it keeps me from noticing things like that and asking good questions about them...not very useful if your house might be about to crumble around you. 

13 minutes ago, froglady said:

photos of Redoubts eruptions... (Sorry for the excitement) 

I found some great photos. I had no idea that was happening. It really is exciting. I'm glad they build things to withstand earthquakes in that area. All the places I lived there as a kid were destroyed. The old boarding house for fishermen on Cook Inlet, the back of the old shoe store in Kodiak, and the house that my dad built outside Kenai.

I feel like someone just shook me awake. Thanks. I'm going to go outside now,

Archived