Risky being Ace?

Bri is Me

Just doing a little thinking today and was wondering what others thought, too.

In today's world, do you think it's more risky to not just be, but to come out as ace or gay?

I live in America, so my thinking is based on our society here, but I'm open to hearing about thoughts on other countries, too.

I would think it was far more risky to come out as gay. Most people don't understand or know about asexuality, and even when they do, it's unlikely that they'd see it as a detriment to getting married and having children. Plus, there aren't any bibles (currently) that say asexuality is a sin. There are several that say homosexuality is, even though they didn't say it in the original version.

There are still risks to coming out as asexual, but physically, it is much safer. The risk most asexuals face is usually being misunderstood, dismissed as having "not met the right person yet," or emotionally stunted, or just generally being ignored.

Fortunately, any time a generation starts to exhibit a trait, the generation that follows is typically more tolerant of the concept that the generation that preceded.

Well. Most of the time people don't take me seriously when I tell them but in rare cases there were people threatening me with corrective rape. Still, I think in Germany it is still more safe to come out than in African countries, for instance. Not so long ago I read an article about an African woman who talked about the danger of coming out as lesbian, especially as a black woman, as she put it. I don't find anymore just now, though.

Gay gets it objectively worse; not only are there the dismissals and not being taken seriously, but there are also the corrective rape threats, gay conversion camps have been a thing, in some countries gay people are to this day being thrown off of buildings/stoned to death, there's a country... I think it's Chechnya, that claims "Gay people aren't oppressed here, because there are no gay people here C: " has reports/rumors of concentration-like camps targeting gay people; stories of being kicked out on the streets etc for being gay..... I've never heard stories on that scale for ace people; perhaps small, isolated incidents, but nothing like this type of stuff.
Based on what I've seen, it doesn't seem to be too risky to come out as gay in America overall/in general, though there are exceptions. Even a lot of conservatives [especially like 40-ish and below] are supportive of homosexuality, or at least even if they disapprove of it personally, they don't seem to mind if others are, and as time goes on, acceptance, I predict, will only increase.
As for ace, I mean.. even when I was in high school, I practically defined myself as such, even though I didn't have a word for it, and the worst I got was like puzzled looks and a bit of incredulity, but no bullying or anything. I didn't have a word for it, but it was understood that I wasn't about all that, and it wasn't a big deal.

Alejandrogynous

More risky to be gay, hands down. Being asexual might come with a lot of extra relationship struggles, difficulty finding partners, being invalidated and dismissed, etc. but it's rare for our physical safety to be at risk. People don't assault us on the street because we 'look asexual'. People don't get disowned by their families for being asexual. Come out as asexual and it's exceedingly unlikely that it will result in physical violence. In my opinion, there isn't even a comparison here.

Archived