Teaching Sexualities and Gender Identities to Younger Children

DoubluBubbleDiscoQueen

DoubluBubbleDiscoQueen

Hello! As you know, hate is something that is taught, not something a child is born with. I have a older brother, who happens to dislike the LGBT community, and also a younger brother, who is still young in his elementary school years. I am trying to teach my younger brother about this community and that it is okay to like anyone he chooses, also to teach him there are many gender identities. I'm not sure how to teach these to him besides the basic, boys can like boys and girls can like girls, as I am trying to teach him the rest.

There are some fun little videos about the community that you can find online. I'd just browse through them, and show your sibling one that you think may reach them.

What I've read thus far on this forum suggests the LGBT community is rather easy to understand compared to the asexual community. People like me aren't common but we exist in 1000 shades of grey. Some asexuals are completely repulsed by sex and never engage in any form of it. Others like me have a libido and while not sexually attracted to anybody they find themselves auto erotic. Some asexuals like non-sexual contact like cuddling and kissing. Some even have sex but do it only to please a sexual partner. Others are completely averse to touch of any kind. I don't mind being hugged but I get no pleasure from it. Many asexuals develop deeply romantic relationships with others. They even can have "crushes" and "squishes". I tend to be aromantic, making me an "Aro Ace". Gender identity can also be an issue. Its no surprise that this creates quite a bit of confusion. I seem to be unusual in the sense that I've always accepted what I am and am comfortable being me. I think this is so because I never experienced peer pressure to be either straight or bi or gay or trans. With me it was "none of the above, thank you." 

Miss Anne Thrope

Just having occasional chats with him about it can be good. I'd also suggest exposing him to media that includes good depictions of LGBT+ people, though not just stuff that mainly focuses on LGBT+ stuff. For example, I watch Steven Universe with my little brother. The show has same-sex partners, an androgynous character, and diverse gender roles; these things aren't the main focus of the show though. Showing LGBT+ characters existing outside of LGBT+ conversations normalizes them.

I've been doing this with my brother (who is currently 13) for a few years now. Several months ago he asked me if a YouTuber we like had a boyfriend or a girlfriend, and in such a way that made it clear that he didn't even have to think about mentioning both options. Also, when I first told him that some people didn't like girls who love girls or boys who love boys and that they only recently became able to marry each other, he thought that that was insane. 

One extra tip: make sure your brother knows that it's okay to not 'like' anyone either.

CierraJasmineJ

Hi! This is actually a really great question. Obviously, there is no one good way to go about it, but I think it is great that you want to introduce your brother to such an important concept young! I personally didn’t really realize that there was anything other than cis and straight until pretty late, and even then, I’m pretty sure the first time I realized that being gay is a thing was from watching Glee. On that note, I agree with previous posters, that watching videos can be a great way to introduce him to these things. You could also just casually throw things out there, like showing a picture of a celebrity and being like “Wow, look at this guy and his husband and their dog! It’s a great picture!” If he asks questions, then it’s a great way to explain the basics, but otherwise, you could just dip his feet in the shallow end, basically, trying to just normalize the LGBTQ+ community by not putting too much emphasis on it, but just exposing him to it. If he is still in elementary school, he is quite young, and obviously may not be able to grasp all of the intricacies of discrimination against the community, but even a little bit of exposure can go a long way. Clearly, this isn’t the only way to go about it, and there are many ways, but just a suggestion.

I mean this isn't really advice, but let this video be your inspiration?:

Spoiler

The cutest thing ever if you ask me. They did such a good job at explaining something complicated to such little people :) 

Archived