Pride?

notyouravgjomarch

notyouravgjomarch

hi all.

how do aces feel about Pride parades?

currently living in a small town who is lucky to have a Pride at all, but it’s a fairly new thing and they need a lot of support.

wasnt identifying as asexual until recently, and still only with close friends.

wondering is “coming out” at Pride a good or bad idea?

is it generally just an lgbtq thing? Am I appropriating someone else’s space? 

Not sure either, but the majority consensus is that we DO belong in the LGBTQIA+ community.  The A is for a-spectrum people.  I have noticed some differing opinions in both communities on this, but I think the majority are accepting.  I don't feel like joining in Pride celebrations is appropriation since most people feel we do have a place in the community.

Good luck whatever you decide.

I've never been to a pride parade, simply because I just came out and there are none in my region. However, I feel that Aces do have a place there, as much as anyone else.

From what I know about people, there'll probably be a few people that discriminate, but just don't take it to heart. In my opinion pride parades are more for showing off the pride your have in yourself and the people around you.

If you feel that you identify with this group, and you feel you are included and welcomed, than you should go :)

I believe that aces who don't have traditional relationships, which is a lot of us (people in same sex QPRs, people who are homoromantic or bi or panromantic, etc) would definitely feel a sense of belonging there, because they likely face the same issues in a sometimes homphobic society as a non ace LGBT person would. 

I don't believe you're appropriating someone else's space. If straight allies and supporters are welcomed, why wouldn't you be? :)

Personally I don't go to Pride because for one I despise crowds, but also as someone who's only had straight relationships I do have a hard time relating. However, I think anyone who does feel a part of the community should join, no matter where you fall on the asexual spectrum. It's really a personal decision....and it really is that simple :)

In Britain asexulity is welcome at Pride parades and events. I usually attend three a year, ranging from festival only at Carlisle to the London Pride which is one of the largest anywhere 

Archived