• Announcements

Midland Tyke

Is AVEN growing? Or in decline?

Midland Tyke

I've been here just over a year now, and like the parts of AVEN that I frequent. But is the forum growing? Or in decline? I know that the user number keeps going up, but that doesn't really mean anything, does it? Users don't all stay. What would be interesting to see is activity levels, and I suppose the easiest way to gauge activity level would be post count. So can some clever person, with access to the database, tell us how many posts have been made by Calendar year, for example?

Kumoku

Honestly if the admins deleted the ghost accounts on a regular schedule (ghost as in NEVER make posts) as well as the people that make a 1-5 posts but then never come back to the site ever again (say makes 1-5 posts and then 30 days later if they don't make a new post, they go poof), it would be a LOT easier to gauge this. 

Rei Kara Stroud

At the very least I know that chat on AVEN is kinda slowly going downhill. The application is just so broken that half of us gave up using it. 

Julian of Norwich
1 hour ago, Kumoku said:

Honestly if the admins deleted the ghost accounts on a regular schedule as well as the people that make a 1-5 posts but then never come back to the site ever again (...)

Well, ghosts might be bad for statistics, but I think it's important that silent members that don't post and just read the forums are welcome as well. Never forget that AVEN can be very helpful and important to aces and partners/friends of aces.

Not everyone has the courage to post in an online forum, nor do they have to.

Pramana

My impression is that the forum is in decline, which is partly because people are sick of arguing about identity politics, but even in the fun forums I find that there are fewer new topics to post on. More broadly, I'm finding that the online asexual community in general is on a downslide, at least across the traditional forum and blog platforms. On the flip slide, I think more people are moving to social media formats like Discord chat services.

ripley
1 hour ago, Kumoku said:

Honestly if the admins deleted the ghost accounts on a regular schedule (ghost as in NEVER make posts) as well as the people that make a 1-5 posts but then never come back to the site ever again (say makes 1-5 posts and then 30 days later if they don't make a new post, they go poof), it would be a LOT easier to gauge this. 

Sometimes those ghost accounts find their souls again when the person returns and feels more comfortable and confident to post in the forums. At least that was the case for me, who finally decided to come back and try to be a part of the community more :) 

But I get what you mean, it can be tricky to figure out who’s a lurker, who might return one day, and when an account is just dead.

sea-lemon

I think it's just about in equilibrium right now, going by what I've seen over the 3 years I've been around. Sure people have left, some of them very publicly which can give an impression of decline because it's so loud and noticeable; but at the same time new people are joining and making connections and sticking around so it all balances out. Though I'm hoping that the new visibility efforts that are going on will help on the growth side, so we'll see what the future brings :)

FictoVore.
1 hour ago, Rei Kara Stroud said:

At the very least I know that chat on AVEN is kinda slowly going downhill. The application is just so broken that half of us gave up using it. 

Yeah it's really unfortunate because chat used to be one of the best parts of AVEN for instant socializing, we'd often have around 25 members in there at any one time chatting and having beers and a laugh etc. It's really unfortunate that it broke with the forums update (and has become almost impossible to find) because the forums are very intimidating for many members and chat is a light and easy alternative which a LOT of members found preferable to the forums. I'm not sure if you came here before the forums updated, but the chat icon used to be right up there at the top of the page near where the 'forums' 'calendar' 'staff' 'online users' tabs are. You could see from the main page how many people were in there, and it had it's own dedicated page on the forum itself once you entered (as opposed to that weird little pop-out thing that always breaks) ..Olden days chat was amazing <3 RIP chat.

37 minutes ago, Pramana said:

My impression is that the forum is in decline, which is partly because people are sick of arguing about identity politics, but even in the fun forums I find that there are fewer new topics to post on. 

You've only been here a little over a year, lol. This site will always have ups and downs depending on what's happening elsewhere, but as most probably know by now I'm a pretty prolific poster and as of yet have never once had a day go by without at least 3 new topics grabbing my attention (though it's usually more like 10-15 topics). It's also not just about the amount of topics started, what's equally important (well, actually, more important) is the engagement in the topics that are newly started/were started in the past month or so. Sure some don't take off, but many end up as threads that are hundreds of posts long.

Also, maybe you didn't notice but there is a LOT to discuss here outside identity politics and the 'fun forums'.. if you looked harder you might have noticed how much is actually happening around here :) 

Skycaptain

I think a fair comment would be that a few people who made a lots of posts have either become less active, or don't come here at all. 

Hotbox and PPS seem to be having a slack time :(

However, certainly in Britain, the meetup forum is going from strength to strength :)

Tasha27
16 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

certainly in Britain, the meetup forum is going from strength to strength :)

That's good to know......still hoping people will get back to me about the Eastbourne meet up

invokeLogic
3 hours ago, Kumoku said:

Deleting them would be cruel, as they may wish to return at any time; but what AVEN can do is track the numbers of 'quarterly active users' (defined by some exact criterion for statistical purposes only) and 'quarterly new users' like online businesses do.

As for the chat, I think AVEN should make an official Discord server.

Edit: I know about Kazka's unofficial server and may even join it, but perhaps some AVENites would like a server with the same standard of moderation as the AVEN forums.

Edited by invokeLogic

daveb

To me it seems about as active is it ever was. People come, people go. I don't see anything wrong with leaving accounts in place even if the person has never posted or has apparently stopped posting. Some people take breaks. And some people probably come for information but don't want or need to post anything themselves. I think it's all fine. :)

CBC

Man, I'm glad I didn't get deleted for being inactive. I'm proud of my 2004 join date haha. 8) But I disappeared completely after seven posts and didn't show up again till 2008. I still take long breaks. They're necessary.

I agree with @daveb; seems about as active as ever to me. And I can promise you it's bucketloads more active than it was in '04! 

.Lia
2 hours ago, invokeLogic said:

Edit: I know about Kazka's unofficial server and may even join it, but perhaps some AVENites would like a server with the same standard of moderation as the AVEN forums.

This is difficult, and it's why AVEN ended up with the chat software that we did. We needed one that would integrate with our forum software, and where users were forced to join with their AVEN name. Many services, like Discord, don't allow for that.

invokeLogic

It's possible to verify accounts manually, i.e. ask every member wishing to get a role that permits to read and post on the server to send their Discord username in an AVEN forum PM to a chat admin. The user's nickname on the server can be changed by an admin to match the AVEN display name if necessary. This method isn't user-friendly, but it would make mobile chat possible, with automatic moderation bots, reaction emoticons and other perks. (I've never been a chat user, though, so I have no say in the matter.)

Sally
3 hours ago, CBC said:

Man, I'm glad I didn't get deleted for being inactive. I'm proud of my 2004 join date haha. 8) But I disappeared completely after seven posts and didn't show up again till 2008. I still take long breaks. They're necessary.

I agree with @daveb; seems about as active as ever to me. And I can promise you it's bucketloads more active than it was in '04! 

SO glad to see you posting again, CBC!!!!!   Was worrying...

Kumoku

If deleting isn't on the table then at least have an archive group where inactive accounts go and if people decide to return, they can PM admins and admins can move them back to the active member group. 

daveb
14 minutes ago, Kumoku said:

If deleting isn't on the table then at least have an archive group where inactive accounts go and if people decide to return, they can PM admins and admins can move them back to the active member group. 

But why is it a problem? I'm asking this seriously. Maybe I'm missing something? 

Kumoku

Honestly part of it is just me wanting to keep things organized. From an admin CP point of view, it's very easy to keep track of who is active on the site (and can be done form the public's view too). 

Rynn

Aw man, I miss the old chat so much! That's really all I did during my first year or so at AVEN, was hang out in chat. Sometimes all day. 

But since AVEN switched formats, I've been coming to the forums instead. It seems like there is never anyone in chat anymore. And some of the users who once frequented chat the most are no longer members here. :( It's just not the same.

I think that AVEN is probably becoming more well-known than ever before. I don't think a lot of users stick around, though. But that's typical in many forums.

CBC
2 hours ago, Sally said:

SO glad to see you posting again, CBC!!!!!   Was worrying...

Oh, I think I'm some degree of indestructible. :P If I ever kick the bucket, I'm sure someone I'm close to outside of AVEN... Zoids or Skullery probably... would make an appearance and announce my mortal departure. 'Cause clearly I'm that important hahaha.

It's primarily my favourite people who keep me coming back, to be honest. AVEN doesn't serve a whole lot purpose for me identity-wise these days, but there are folks here I care about and whose thoughts I like to hear, and so for some godforsaken reason, I just can't leave permanently. Which I've made my peace with, haha.

daveb
35 minutes ago, Kumoku said:

Honestly part of it is just me wanting to keep things organized. From an admin CP point of view, it's very easy to keep track of who is active on the site (and can be done form the public's view too). 

Fair enough. I guess I'm coming from another tack; I don't like to toss things out. Terrible at Spring cleaning or getting rid of stuff when I move. :lol:

But seriously, I don't see any problem with leaving inactive accounts be. They could be people who only read and don't post, and I think that's fine. Or people who do post, but aren't around for a while for whatever reason.

15 minutes ago, CBC said:

'Cause clearly I'm that important hahaha.

You are. :) 

CBC

Aw jeez, you and @Sally are giving me the warm fuzzies, @daveb. :P I'm happy I'm appreciated here... for god knows what reason haha, but I'll take it. ^_^ 

Skycaptain

So far as non-posters go, historically, before our server cut chat, we had a lot of members only came onto the site for chat, and either didn't post at all, or only made a couple of posts 

oval

AVEN IS CURRENTLY EXPERIENCING MEMBER RETENTION ISSUES. MEMBERS MAY NOT APPEAR UNLESS THE SITE VITALITY IS FREQUENTLY REFRESHED.

Janus DarkFox

By the numbers, in terms of threads, posts and members, I'd say it's on an increase, or roughly on a steady flow of new content nearly everywhere on site.

Sally
4 hours ago, oval said:

AVEN IS CURRENTLY EXPERIENCING MEMBER RETENTION ISSUES. MEMBERS MAY NOT APPEAR UNLESS THE SITE VITALITY IS FREQUENTLY REFRESHED.

The beatings will continue until morale improves...

Skullery Maid

I love that AVEN keeps our accounts active. Here's a fun fact about life... it's fucking longggggg. I remember being young and thinking that a year was basically eternity. This is my first post in over a year but I'll tell ya what, it feels like it's been about a week. So, how long before someone gets archived? I can easily imagine a world where I don't post for five years and then wander back one day. 

You know what PayPal did? I'm tryna send weed to a friend across the country and he wanted to pay me via PayPal... went to log in and, nope. Locked out. Since my phone is on a family plan, it's not in my name, so no more PayPal account for Skullsy. 

Let's not make aven PayPal. That's all I'm saying. 

CBC

^^ I TAKE FULL CREDIT FOR THE ABOVE POST.

Yessssss. I dragged you back by sending you AVEN links. I'm good. 8) 

Skullery Maid

I'm not back. My therapist hasn't given me permission yet. ^_^