The Science of Race

Calligraphette_Coe

Calligraphette_Coe

https://press.nationalgeographic.com/files/2018/03/April-2018-NGM-Highlights.pdf

If you folow this link, you'll see a cover picture of twin sisters. And when you see them, you'll be dumbstruck that nature is consistently beautiful when she practices contradiction and diversity. These two beautiful sisters have made a lot of people in real life rethink their bad ideas about race and how science shows that racism is just plain stupid. We're all the same race-- the human race.

SithAzathoth WinterDragon

I'm 44% Swedish 29% Celtic, the other part I'll not even mention since I have no honor in it but I get benefits from it so I guess that's the only part that's somewhat good from it. 

But because I tan too easily I am judged by my skin and not blood, looks have nothing to do with ones race, it's the DNA that matters, and because I'm mostly Swedish I do have the rare blood defect the Swedes do get since they have periods of time when there is no sun depending on where you're located in Sweden.

There are 2 other twin sisters besides these 2 where one is white and the other showing more black skin.

A friend of mine has an ancestor who was black and she recently mentioned she has an area that black where no eyes should see. How one looks has nothing to do with who you are, it's genetics and DNA that counts.

Despite their former colors, all cattle are identical in a meat locker. Race appears to be based on appearance only. However the color of my skin isn't any more significant than the fact I can drink milk whereas many Asians can't due to lactose intolerance.  Yet appearance is more important than the fact I'm a milk drinking mutant. Its not so much the science of race as much as it is the politics of race. 50 years ago this month King lost his life. An aging civil rights marcher was quoted as saying black people in America have come a long way but they still have a long way to go. Come to think of it, on a bus everybody looks the same regardless of their sexual orientation. More politics at play.

Lonemathsytoothbrushthief

Dismantling racism is still more complex than that though. The fact is that a black person with vitiligo or who has albinism will still be systemically discriminated against in a variety of ways, and only a small part of fighting against racism is about eliminating biases in the minds of people since those biases are only a symptom of the problem.

The question I would ask is even if we find genetic differences between races, is that enough to justify treating other races differently. In genetic terms there is only change and adaptation to environment. That seems like paltry grounds for discrimination.

On 4/10/2018 at 5:17 PM, ABryonJ.maybe said:

The question I would ask is even if we find genetic differences between races, is that enough to justify treating other races differently. In genetic terms there is only change and adaptation to environment. That seems like paltry grounds for discrimination.

I think its fine to recognize differences. It can also save your life. Medicine is a good example. Predisposition is important.

In an extreme example, think of it like fantasy races, like in DnD. We are born as a race, and they come with perks and hinderances. But all are capable of anything if they put their mind to it. But culture might reduce those possibilities, depending on where you were born, and how you were raised. All races are still part of society, and must work together to bring peace. 

If you come from a race that is physically stronger and more athletic than others. Knowing that would make your life easier if you decidedly walked those paths. Like, instead of being told you should be a mage regardless, when you are built to be a warrior. Its not like you cannot be a mage if you wanted to, but it would be more difficult. Etc.

Now im not trying to say races are that different, just an analogy. 

I think culture is a far bigger teller of one's personality and actions. 

Archived