Your parents' MBTI personality types compared to yours

Ytterbium

How different are your parents' personality types from yours?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. How different is your mom's personality type from yours?

• The same personality type (e.g. ESFJ and ESFJ)
    • 1 letter is different (e.g. ESFJ and ESFP)
    • 2 letters are different (e.g. ESFJ and INFJ)
    • 3 letters are different (e.g. ESFJ and ISTP)
    • All letters are different (e.g. ESFJ and INTP)
    • I don't know
  2. 2. How different is your dad's personality type from yours?

• The same personality type (e.g. ESFJ and ESFJ)
    • 1 letter is different (e.g. ESFJ and ESFP)
    • 2 letters are different (e.g. ESFJ and INFJ)
    • 3 letters are different (e.g. ESFJ and ISTP)
    • All letters are different (e.g. ESFJ and INTP)
    • I don't know

This poll is closed to new votes

There have been personality type polls before, but this one is (hopefully) something new.

After doing the 16personalities test myself for the first time (I'm INTP), I asked my closest relatives what their personality types are, so that I can compare them, and it turned out, my entire nuclear family is IN__.

What about you and your parents (and other relatives)? Are your personality types similar?

I'm ENxJ, my father is ESTJ and my mother is probably INFP (they both took the test, she didn't finish it but I've seen her answers and they suggested me she's INFP).

I’m an INTP. I haven’t asked my parents or had them take the tests, but I think my mom is ESFJ and my dad is an ESTP. My sister is a textbook ESFP(yep I’m the only introvert in my immediate family).

everywhere and nowhere

How should I know? To be honest, I don't even know my own personality type and all I know is that I, for example, can never place myself on the introversion-extraversion scale. And I'm NOT in-between, I'm from-to or either-or.

However, on the most general level I can say that I'm psychologically very much unlike all of my family. They are the embodiment of "normalcy" and sanity and I'm... just not. There is nothing which would support a suspicion that I'm not their child and a lot to support the thesis that I indeed am (physical similarity), so my conviction is that personality is not heritable. At most it can be socially heritable, but anyway I prefer to see it as a Superior, non-biological phenomenon.

My immediate family: 

• I am INFJ (and strong in all four categories). 
  • My mom is ESFJ. E and S are different. (We have a turbulent relationship, lots of friction.) 
  • My dad is INFP. P is different. (I have, like, the same personality as him. The only difference between us is caused by that P; it is evident in our behaviour.) 
  • My little brother is ESTP (opposite of mine). (We actually get along pretty well, even though we're polar opposites and don't always understand each other. He struggles with being a T and having the rest of the family be Fs. He gets self-conscious about not showing emotion the same way as us.) 

So, we have: 

• Two introverts and two extroverts, 
  • Two intuitive and two sensing, 
  • Three feeling and one thinking, 
  • Two judging and two perceiving. 

We're pretty much half-and-half. I have found our family dynamic very interesting. 

Bonus round (actually irrelevant to the question, but I find personality compatibility SO interesting): 

• My ex-boyfriend is ENTJ. E and T are different from mine.
  • My current partner is INTJ. Only T is different from mine.

My own is infp-t

Doing the test in the other ones, imagining how my parents would answer, my father is istp-t so 2 different

My mother is estj-t so 4 different there

Grumpy Alien

I have no idea. My mom has likely never even heard of it and I haven’t had any contact with my father in a decade or so.

My brother and I have the same type but we're very different so it was interesting! My mom and sister both shared two letters with us, although they were a different two. Not sure about my dad 'cause he never took it.

• 2 weeks later...
J. van Deijck

I'm in between INTJ and INFJ (leaning more towards INTJ as I grow older). my dad is ISTJ, so there would be one letter difference. for my mother, I don't think she has any personality at all.

While I really don't know, my parents' ways of experiencing life are drastically different than mine. They're strongly "type A" and I'm relatively "type B." They both like to plan things and go bananas when things don't work out, I'm more chill and just make my decisions as I go along.

My parents are also both extraverted, though my dad's slightly less so.

I get either INFP or ENFP (always assertive) depending on how I feel. Social interaction doesn't "drain" me, but I like being alone. Usually people mistake my enthusiasm for extraversion :P

• 1 year later...

@Ytterbium

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived