Could it be possible to be sexually attracted to one gender but romantically attracted to another?

rainbowteacake

rainbowteacake

This isn’t about me personally but I just wondered if in general, one could be say sexually attracted to women, but romantically attracted to men or vice versa, is that a thing at all? (Sorry if I’ve posted in the wrong topic)

It is uncommon, but yes it is.

Yes, it is. I stumbled across such individuals.

Grumpy Alien

Not unheard of

Divide By Zero

I'm sure it's possible since sexual attraction and romantic attraction are two different things. I've often wondered if such people may not be aware of the difference between sexual and romantic attraction and end up identifying as bisexual.

bburlacchini

I think it's very possible! I for once am sexually attracted to both men and women but only romantically attracted to men!

bburlacchini
On 14/04/2018 at 4:00 AM, Tuple said:

I'm sure it's possible since sexual attraction and romantic attraction are two different things. I've often wondered if such people may not be aware of the difference between sexual and romantic attraction and end up identifying as bisexual.

Me too! I see so many people, specially female celebrities, being criticized for identifying as "bisexual" and only dating men - because society assumes that bisexuality implies wanting a romantic relationship, when it's only about feeling sexual attraction... So I think many of those people may be bisexual heteroromantics, but aren't aware of it because aromanticism is so overlooked.

Yeah it's possible. My orientation is something similar to that, that's why I used to identify as heteroromantic homosexual. I've heard that it's called being bi-andrian but that term isn't very well known. 

Divide By Zero
9 hours ago, bburlacchini said:

Me too! I see so many people, specially female celebrities, being criticized for identifying as "bisexual" and only dating men - because society assumes that bisexuality implies wanting a romantic relationship, when it's only about feeling sexual attraction... So I think many of those people may be bisexual heteroromantics, but aren't aware of it because aromanticism is so overlooked.

From what I understand, for people who are bisexual and/or biromantic, the attraction may not be equal. So someone could have a strong degree of attraction to one gender and a lesser degree of attraction to the other gender. I wonder if that may be a factor in some cases.

no it isn't possible. it's either internalized homophobia or internalized biphobia, most likely

Greenstar55
On 17/04/2018 at 3:27 AM, coolguy69 said:

no it isn't possible. it's either internalized homophobia or internalized biphobia, most likely

i mean its possible, again just because its something you may not experience doesn't mean it isn't possible 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes! This is definitely my experience - I'm homosensual and heteroromantic - attracted to men for non-sexual physical intimacy and attracted to women for emotional intimacy. Some people have used the term 'cross-orientational' where someone is attracted to different people in different ways, e.g. heterosexual biromantic, so I sometimes use 'strictly cross-orientational' to explain being attracted to different people in different ways without a cross-over i.e. where you can't be considered 'fully satisfied' (really dislike this phrasing but struggling to find a better way to express it) by a single person/gender.

Happy to answer any questions if you are curious!

itsmeelysemarie
On 4/15/2018 at 6:49 AM, bburlacchini said:

I think it's very possible! I for once am sexually attracted to both men and women but only romantically attracted to men!

I'm the opposite. I'm sexually attracted to women and romantically attracted to men...but then again, I'm fictosexual so idk if this even counts.

Archived