I hate wearing dresses

Semiterrestrial Scientist

{insert title here}I like looking at them online cause they’re pretty. I just don’t like wearing them. Mom is making me wear one for an upcoming wedding and I have to choose one I like. It’s not that I don’t like any of them it’s just that I would never wear any of them by choice. I prefer a more androgynous look. I never wear anything but jean shorts and a T-shirt. I think she’s frustrated with me. Last night she asked me if I was a boy. How do I deal with this? Cause I don’t want to go shopping outside my house. Can’t deal with that

I wear shorts underneath any dress/skirt. If you get a long, flowy one, no one will know the difference.

Galactic Turtle

Shorts/spandex under dresses/skirts are my go to. I also always wear sweaters on top because I don't like my skin showing. 

Sometimes for events like weddings you just gotta go with it. You're going to have to wear something more formal than a t-shirt and jeans. Whether that's a dress or a suit or whatever is up to you.

Not liking dresses definitely doesn't make you a boy though lol.

The Maple Leaf Forever
2 hours ago, Syrthia said:

{insert title here}I like looking at them online cause they’re pretty. I just don’t like wearing them. Mom is making me wear one for an upcoming wedding and I have to choose one I like. It’s not that I don’t like any of them it’s just that I would never wear any of them by choice. I prefer a more androgynous look. I never wear anything but jean shorts and a T-shirt. I think she’s frustrated with me. Last night she asked me if I was a boy. How do I deal with this? Cause I don’t want to go shopping outside my house. Can’t deal with that

Is there a dad in the picture that you could talk to about speaking to mom about laying off on this issue?

10 hours ago, The Maple Leaf Forever said:

Is there a dad in the picture that you could talk to about speaking to mom about laying off on this issue?

Not really. Mom and dad are divorced. Moms a little old fashioned in some things. 

11 hours ago, Princess Merida said:

Will she let you go wearing an alternative like a women's suit or playsuit? 

feat.jpg

50-lace-playsuit-oasis-stores.com_.jpg

I tried to convince her to let me wear some nice slacks and an appropriate top but she said no because it’s a wedding and such.

10 hours ago, fuzzipueo said:

How about a compromise between a skirt and shorts? My niece loves skorts.

gray_pinstripe_work_it_skort_6_2.jpg?iop

http://www.qvc.com/Susan-Graver-Liquid-Knit-8-Gore-Pull-On-Skort.product.A264867.html

I don’t know. The big question, does it have pockets?

4 hours ago, Syrthia said:
15 hours ago, fuzzipueo said:

How about a compromise between a skirt and shorts? My niece loves skorts.

gray_pinstripe_work_it_skort_6_2.jpg?iop

http://www.qvc.com/Susan-Graver-Liquid-Knit-8-Gore-Pull-On-Skort.product.A264867.html

I don’t know. The big question, does it have pockets?

Some of them do have pockets.

I don’t know a lot about dresses, but I think sun dresses are pretty. Plus they look so breezy that it’s hard to imagine being sweaty in it

Celyn: The Lutening

I've got a khaki pair of skorts with the best set of pockets ever! I'm androgynous but I reconcile the wearing of skirts with the fact that KILTS ARE COMING BACK INTO FASHION!!! I used to wear my school tartan skirt even when first coming out as trans* and if anyone said "but you're wearing a skirt???" I replied, "This is mah kilt!" in a manly Scottish voice.

@Princess Merida Lol probably not. I already asked if I could just wear slacks and a nice shirt or something and she gave me the “Why can’t you just wear a dress for once?” look.

1 minute ago, Syrthia said:

@Princess Merida Lol probably not. I already asked if I could just wear slacks and a nice shirt or something and she gave me the “Why can’t you just wear a dress for once?” look.

Aww, that's a shame. :( *hugs*

I feel for you, I don't even deal with any gender identity issues but I hate dresses, I wear feminine clothes often but I'm always afraid of flashing someone if I don't have actual pants on :D I definitely think a skirt and nice top would probably be fine with your mom, it's basically the same as a dress, she's probably just hoping you won't wear a suit because it seems "masculine" but a skirt is very feminine. I suggest a skort so it feels like you're wearing shorts underneath, that'll probably make you feel better. 

Besides that, remember it's one day, a couple of hours and it's over. I imagine you're still a teen and your mom has a lot of power over what you do, but there will come a day when you're an adult and absolutely no one can tell you what to wear :) I dealt with similar issues with my own mom (my mom eventually relented though and let me wear just slacks because she knew I was no way going to behave as my normal charming self without pants :D ) 

Just try to focus on the positives of the situation- weddings are fun, you'll get to dance and eat awesome cake, so don't let the fact you have to wear a dress ruin it for you :)

PolgaraTheSorceress

What about one of those playsuits/ jumpsuits with really flowy legs that almost look like a dress but aren't, she might not notice the difference?

Grumpy Alien

Have you considered something more like a romper? 

Don’t wear something that you’re not comfortable in.

On 05/04/2018 at 2:30 PM, .Lia said:

I wear shorts underneath any dress/skirt. If you get a long, flowy one, no one will know the difference.

I always wear dance shorts under dresses and skirts. They fit like leggings and are short enough that they don’t show. It’s more comfortable to know my underwear isn’t showing and my thighs don’t chafe. No one can tell I’m wearing shorts underneath.

Archived