Video Game Romances

yonah

Do you bother with romance in video games?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. If a video game has romance options, do you go for it?

• I'm ace but not aro and I do romance
    • I'm ace but not aro and I don't romance
    • I'm aro and I do romance
    • I'm aro and I don't romance
    • I'm not ace or aro and I do romance
    • I'm not ace or aro and I don't romance

This poll is closed to new votes

LadyWallflower

For me, sometimes I like the romance and sometimes I don't! It really matters about the game, how well written the romance is, and so on. I don't like when the romance is tacked on. For example, I liked the romance in FFX between Yuna and Tidus. But I did not like the romance in FFVIII between Rinoa and Squall. It just seemed to come out of nowhere! [Also, in a film comparison. I liked the romance in Tangled but not in How to Train Your Dragon.]

When it comes to making romance options, myself... I often do stick to just friendships! Oftentimes, it is because I want to have good relations with everyone, and not just focus on improving my relationship with one character! Also, most of the games I play don't have a romance option.

Ironically, even though I don't like romance in a lot of books, I sometimes read shippy fanfiction. It doesn't make sense! Maybe I only like to read romance when I am seeking it out.

4 minutes ago, LadyWallflower said:

FFVIII between Rinoa and Squall

Uhhh, literally, the whole game is about their romance? :P Starting with the ballroom dance!

Oh, My name is Rinoa too :P 

LadyWallflower
17 minutes ago, Phoenix the II said:

Uhhh, literally, the whole game is about their romance? :P Starting with the ballroom dance!

Oh, My name is Rinoa too :P 

Ooh! Rinoa is a pretty name!

Spoiler for FF8

Spoiler

Oh yes, I know they were foreshadowing the romance during the ballroom dance. However, I think the thing that bothered me was that there was no real point where the romance started? It just kind of was? And I didn't find it believable? Squall was suddenly caring this girl on his back this long distance... and I don't know? [Mind you, I don't hate the romance. I am just apathetic towards it.] Sometimes I think he fell for her when she was unconscious. Which means he wasn't really falling for her. I don't know. [Also, it is important to note that I played this game a long time after it had come out, when I was in my struggling years. I didn't know my own asexyness then, but I felt something... wrong?]

Also that one scene was hilarious! The one where Rinoa was dangling off that balcony, and everyone was telling Squall, oh you better go over and save her. Lol, she could have fallen to her death a million times!

Sometimes, it seemed to me, everyone was telling Squall, you should like Rinoa! I almost felt like he was being pushed into the relationship. And I guess that is something I don't like. Squall could potentially be read as Ace, and I think the pushiness everyone showed, thinking of course Squall would be happier paired off, just rubbed me the wrong way.

Rinoa came out recently for Dissidia. And she looks so cool in the Dissidia game! I love how she fights with Angelo. But to this day, I still like Squall and Rinoa as separate entities. [But I am still cool with people shipping them! :)]

Spoiler alert haha I have yet to finish FF8 but I'm kidding I knew about these two :) It's a romance that I can't seem to get into... probably because it's the written kind and I'm used to actual audio dialogues. I'm still early in the game though, didn't even finish CD1 yet.

LadyWallflower
6 minutes ago, Kahlan said:

Spoiler alert haha I have yet to finish FF8 but I'm kidding I knew about these two :) It's a romance that I can't seem to get into... probably because it's the written kind and I'm used to actual audio dialogues. I'm still early in the game though, didn't even finish CD1 yet.

Ahh! I'm sorry! I'll put up a spoiler alert. [Although I realize you are kidding, I'll just be careful for future people!] I thought I was being vague enough, but I guess revealing a romance isn't necessarily vague, lol. :mellow:

It's okay if you don't get into the romance. I didn't! It's still a fun game to play. Just don't make the same mistake I did, and summon too much! As a kid, I wanted to hoard my magic (I hoard everything, magic, money, items), so I summoned way too much to save on magic.

I'm playing FF12: Zodiac Age, and I'm pushing myself to keep up-to-date with gear and weapons, and to not hoard money. It's been fun! [Also, I love how the leading lady Ashe is a widow looking for revenge. No romance for her. :)]

8 minutes ago, LadyWallflower said:

[Also, I love how the leading lady Ashe is a widow looking for revenge. No romance for her. :)]

It's refreshing when no romance gets in the way of the action too ;) I love that! Just a bad ass female character, kicking ass! The world needs more of these haha

Also, thanks on the tips for FF8 :) I'll try my best but for now I'm finishing another game w no romance so far since the game started with the wife dead. God Of War.

19 minutes ago, LadyWallflower said:

Ooh! Rinoa is a pretty name!

Spoiler for FF8

Hide contents

Oh yes, I know they were foreshadowing the romance during the ballroom dance. However, I think the thing that bothered me was that there was no real point where the romance started? It just kind of was? And I didn't find it believable? Squall was suddenly caring this girl on his back this long distance... and I don't know? [Mind you, I don't hate the romance. I am just apathetic towards it.] Sometimes I think he fell for her when she was unconscious. Which means he wasn't really falling for her. I don't know. [Also, it is important to note that I played this game a long time after it had come out, when I was in my struggling years. I didn't know my own asexyness then, but I felt something... wrong?]

Also that one scene was hilarious! The one where Rinoa was dangling off that balcony, and everyone was telling Squall, oh you better go over and save her. Lol, she could have fallen to her death a million times!

Sometimes, it seemed to me, everyone was telling Squall, you should like Rinoa! I almost felt like he was being pushed into the relationship. And I guess that is something I don't like. Squall could potentially be read as Ace, and I think the pushiness everyone showed, thinking of course Squall would be happier paired off, just rubbed me the wrong way.

Rinoa came out recently for Dissidia. And she looks so cool in the Dissidia game! I love how she fights with Angelo. But to this day, I still like Squall and Rinoa as separate entities. [But I am still cool with people shipping them! :)]

Can Love grow too instead of suddenly falling? 

Spoiler

I have dissidia.. But I'm yet to play it again, As I got a little sad by how the game is different compared to it's PSP editions.

But I saw Rinoa in dissidia :wub: 

1 hour ago, Phoenix the II said:

And the annoying thing is that I like ballroom scene but totally agree with theor romance.

*Spoiler of an even older game*

FF VI does a decent job (with it's large cast) with really only 2 characters ending up romantic with each other. The obvious "damsel who needs to find her prince" (Terra) stays single, and is happy with her life.

The 2 that do hook up, seem more natural as a couple and you can see it develop well (I think).

LadyWallflower

@Kahlan No problem! To be honest, 8 was the FF I played least effectively, lol. I should probably go back one day and replay it and do the junction system proud, lol. I hope you have fun playing God of War!

@Phoenix the II That's kind of what I meant. I guess I didn't articulate myself well. I didn't really see Squall fall in love with Rinoa (or the other way around). To me, it seemed like he didn't like her, and then... he was in love with her? It wasn't love at first sight. It wasn't slowly falling in love. It was like, the directors wanted the two main characters to be in love. And so they willed it. I just... couldn't believe it? But maybe if I replayed it as an adult, and not an early teen first discovering their asexuality, I would think differently.

I agree, Rinoa is sooo cool in Dissidia! I love her boots, her optimism, and her dog. Actually, she seems cooler in Dissidia than in the game!  [Squall is also super cool! Tween me first loved him in KH1, and I never stopped!]

Look at Rinoa!

Spoiler

@Scott1989 Yeah, I love how Terra ends up alone, but completely happy and fulfilled! It was so refreshing. Terra has ace-vibes to her as well.

I have a soft spot for everything romance. When i got to know tha you could get married and get kids in Stardew Valley, guess what my new goal was.☺️

Aria Ravenclaw

I love having romance options in games.  Like dragon age :3 I've played all of them and I love otome games/VN's where you try to pick who will be your romantic interest, as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really play games with romance options, but if a game does have a romance option I tend to ignore it. Mostly because I feel awkward trying to be romantic in a game.

• 4 weeks later...

Never played a video game other than DEFCON, plague inc, and portal but relationships just get in the way of completing a game

I'm aro ace, and I romance all the time. Lol! :lol: I absolutely love having that option in video games. I guess to live through my character something I don't feel? Dragon Age games are the best for that.

I'm aro ace, and I'll romance some characters if the game has written it in well. Im currently playing Stardew Valley and trying to romance some people in that, but I haven't managed it yet.:unsure:

I guess what I don't like is forced romance, like having the option is chill, but I don't always wanna pick it.

I like to do romance, but only if it has a decent plot. I've downloaded and promptly deleted so many otome games because they didn't have a good enough story to interest me.

I'm Aro Ace, and most of the time, I won't romance and will prefer to focus on the adventure itself.

HOWEVER.

If the game has character creation (Fallout 4, Saints row, The Sims), I love to recreate myself (Guilty pleasure of mine) , and will sometimes romance characters, if I feel some emotional bond with them. (Fictoromantic person here ! )

Strange thing is that I feel really umcomfortable with Real-life romance and somewhat uncomfortable/annoyed with romance in movies/shows and all...

But however, in really specific conditions, like feeling a strong emotional bond with a specific character and being able to recreate myself, it's different.
How confusing.

• 4 months later...

If a video game has romance you can bet I'm romancing literally everyone I can romance. Including robots.

Captain Jay

I can't say I recall playing any games that even have romance options. This is perhaps because I'm generally drawn to games that are more arcade-styled, or at least don't put much emphasis on storytelling.

That said, if I ever did come across such a game, I might be tempted to muck around with the idea. It'd probably depend on whether the game is otherwise compelling or has a good enough reason to do it.

(Ironically, I've had a lot of fictional character crushes, but they've almost always stopped short of wanting to date them. Though that may be because I'd feel uncomfortable putting myself in the picture... anyway.)

Bronztrooper
41 minutes ago, Captain Jay said:

I can't say I recall playing any games that even have romance options. This is perhaps because I'm generally drawn to games that are more arcade-styled, or at least don't put much emphasis on storytelling.

That said, if I ever did come across such a game, I might be tempted to muck around with the idea. It'd probably depend on whether the game is otherwise compelling or has a good enough reason to do it.

(Ironically, I've had a lot of fictional character crushes, but they've almost always stopped short of wanting to date them. Though that may be because I'd feel uncomfortable putting myself in the picture... anyway.)

I'd suggest looking into the games developed by Bioware.  Their romances are generally very good and completely optional, and their games are generally pretty good as well.

• 2 weeks later...
KuraTheChibiSleepingBeauty

I love romance in games! My favourite two, romance-wise, are Persona 3-PSP, and Rune Factory 4. Fire Emblem games get third place. I'm super excited for the new one. I'd like to do the 'gay hack' for Awakening, but I don't have a hacked 3DS and I'm definitely not the most tech-savvy person ever. 

dragon_cake

I go for the romance if the plot and character is interesting enough!

Some of my favorite games that have some romantic element involves Fire Emblem: Awakening, Stardew Valley, and Amnesia (yes, not the horror game LOL but tbh I was more drawn to the slight mysterious aspect of it than the actual guys although the art looks very nice in my opinion. I strongly recommend reading the reviews or story before purchasing this one though)

I think the very first otome game I've played is hakuouki when it came out on the PSP (Younger me favored Okita but now I like Saito a lot better in comparison after replaying the game)

I tried it the first time I encountered the option in a game because it was new and different, but it's otherwise never appealed.

@yonah

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived