Does AVEN make you feel lonely/lonelier?

Palovana

Does AVEN ever make you feel lonely?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Does AVEN ever make you feel lonely?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

This poll is closed to new votes

Definitely not, just the opposite in fact. I've far more friends and acquaintances now than I've ever had before :):)

I barely arrived a day ago, but everyone here is really nice and kind and it feels great to be around people so accepting,  if anything I feel much less lonely than before. x))

Quite the opposite actually! 

Sometimes my friends in real life make me feel lonely, because I love them but they'll never understand this huge part of me. 

Here, I feel like everyone just gets it. 

I would say that there are some notable limits to Internet socialization in general. And AVEN specifically becomes repetitive after a few months.

Sometimes, yes. On one hand it allows me to relate to other people that pass more or less for the same experiences than me, which makes me feel not so bad about myself. On the other it also makes me realise that those people are really far away. I need physical contact, online friends is not enough for me. However I don't have any friends in the real world.

I've realized I have little in common with people here as well. Both politically, and hobby related. So my use has declined. I am not a rather sociable small talk person either. So the mundane forum games have lost my interest. I do enjoy the philisophical and political discussions to a degree though. It has expanded my knowledge. Though I am rather intimidated by the venomous approach some people have. So I will avoid those confrontations.

3 hours ago, Astatine said:

Sometimes, yes. On one hand it allows me to relate to other people that pass more or less for the same experiences than me, which makes me feel not so bad about myself. On the other it also makes me realise that those people are really far away. I need physical contact, online friends is not enough for me. However I don't have any friends in the real world.

This ^^^

I wouldn't say lonely, but more frustrated and restless sometimes.  AVEN was/is a good source of info and support, but I'm not much of an internet socializer to begin with but more of a reader/researcher, so if I start getting caught up in online drama it bogs me down.  I pop in once in awhile just to see what's new, but otherwise, there are too many other things to do. 

I am new here and am hopeful to chat with someone who is interested in a long-term committed sexless relationship. I'm not sure how long it will take to feel lonely on here ;)

It kind of makes me lonely in the way that I quickly realize that I don't know other asexual people outside of AVEN. My classmates especially don't always understand the fact that sex kind of disgusts me so I can't seek for solidarity or most often even understanding from them. Even when I say something like "Sex is unpleasant", people can get defensive and it's exhausting.

At the same time AVEN is great for sharing all kinds of asexual experiences and other stuff since people are often very understanding here. :) I'm definitely happy that I found this site. A great site with great people.

I'm new, so perhaps I have a biased point of view, but AVEN makes me feel a lot less lonely. It showed me that there are other people like me, and the success stories thread has calmed a lot of my fears that I would never have a meaningful relationship.

• 11 months later...

@Palovana

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived