• Moderately averse - I am ok with touch under limited situations
    • Neutral - I'm neither touch averse nor touchy-feely
    • I'M THE HUGGER
  2. 2. About how often do you fist bump?

• Regularly - Daily or weekly
    • Occasionally - Monthly or several times a year
    • Very rarely
    • I have never fist bumped anyone
  3. 3. About how often do you shake hands?

• Regularly - Daily or weekly
    • Occasionally - Monthly or several times a year
    • Very rarely
    • I have never shaken hands with anyone
  4. 4. Fist bump or handshake?

• Fist bump!
    • Handshake!
    • DON'T TOUCH

This poll is closed to new votes

I’m not touch averse as long as it’s not intimate contact; hugs are just about the absolute limit before things feel too weird for me, and even hugs feels really awkward.

As for fist bumps and handshakes, I’m fine with either. Though, I sometimes end up screwing up fist bumps unless people make it really obvious that they intend to do a fist bump 😅. I actually try to shake hands with everyone the first time I meet them, though I’d try to avoid it if the person was kinda dirty looking (plez keep hands fairly clean before shaking mine 😅).

Celyn: The Lutening
On 11/04/2018 at 11:54 PM, Ortac said:

... or things could go even further and we could replace hand shakes and fist bumps with bowing like the Japanese do. There would be no physical contact at all then. 

That would be ideal

I'd rather bump fists. Hands get clammy and they're sometimes uncomfortable since I subconsciously mix hand-holding with romantic situations. I think I might have a level of touch aversion, though.

everywhere and nowhere

Btw: I don't really like this gesture, but the fist bump has a funny name in Polish: "żółwik", or literally "little turtle".

flagsforhippos

I didn't realise there was such a 'shaker'/'bumper' divide. Maybe from now on when I greet people I should hold my right hand out open-palmed and the other as a fist and then the person I'm greeting can just shake/bump the one they prefer.

I'm french so I'm more accustomed to a quick kiss on the cheek, "la bise", to greet people I don't know that well (adults and simple acquaintances)

Handshakes are way rarer, most of the time only with some men that for some reason don't kiss on the cheek and it feels a bit awkward.

We only fist bump with friends though, but it feels less awkward than handshake. Some use it to greet, but I use it more in "winning case", like after a well done action in a game or something. Other possibility is a fist bump customized within a group or with another person.

But yeah, in France I don't think this question is a big deal or exists at all.

(Btw, I'M THE HUGGER)

I probably shake hands more than fist bump but I play it by ear.

Also I prefer the armwrestling handshake, with some people I'm close to, it also turn into a half hug.

hqdefault.jpg

Mine never look that good

:(:lol:

Fist bumps are okay, though I prefer being greeted verbally. I dislike handshakes, because they make me awkward.

J. van Deijck

1. How touch averse are you?
I guess moderately. I love to snuggle with my bf, I let my parents and close friends hug me, I tolerate my coworkers' touch, although I'm not a big fan of it, and I absolutely hate when strangers or people I don't like much enough touch me. It's very unpleasant. Also, no cheek kissing please. I hate it.
I used to be strongly averse in the past, but recently I seem to have gained more trust and I'm less averse than I used to be.
2. About how often do you fist bump?
Not often, I don't like it.
3. About how often do you shake hands?
Not often, I hate it.
4. Fist bump or handshake?
DON'T TOUCH.

This is what happens when you do a fist bump in this country.

8 hours ago, timewarp said:

This is what happens when you do a fist bump in this country.

I thought of this thread when I saw the headline too :)

• 2 months later...
divided_sky

Neither. Neither of them feels remotely natural to me and always catch me off guard. Also, I never know what someone is going for. If they start reaching their hand out to me, and I guess which one they are doing, I will always guess wrong. Then if I wait to see, I am too far behind and now it comes off more awkward and forced. Like "oh, you are trying to shake my hand. Ok, I will stick my hand out now". And I resent the fact that I now have to make contact with the person, or it will be taken as being very rude. Feels like I have no choice in the matter. They have decided for both of us that we need to make physical contact

divided_sky

And then I can't touch my face or eat anything until I can wash my hands, which could be a long ways off

On 4/11/2018 at 11:54 AM, Ortac said:

... or things could go even further and we could replace hand shakes and fist bumps with bowing like the Japanese do. There would be no physical contact at all then. 

The church I go to has people bow to each other instead of shaking hands during flu season.

By the way, does anyone else use the strategy of offering a handshake to avoid an unwanted hug?

divided_sky

If somebody knows that they are sick and still initiates a handshake with someone, they should have their hand cut off

As far a being touch averse, it depends. I cannot stand people putting their arm around me for any period of time. Hugs are OK as long as I know them and its not too long. Holding hands is just uncomfortable. I'm fine shaking hands, though I have trouble initiating it. With family I have been conditioned to like and expect hugs, but I tend to fist bump as an alternative for young boys in my family and friends I know aren't in to hugging. I just want an acknowledgement of our goodbye.

In conclusion, but also knew point, I see handshakes as formal and socially expected. Fist bumps are informal and a nice alternative to lots of physical contact.

I have no idea how to handshake properly, my hands are always clammy and i don't really like touching strangers so the fist bump works much better for me

I have both shaken another person's hand and done a fist bump - but I would not initiate either scenario.

I don't usually initiate contact with others at all unless I am VERY comfortable around them. Once I reach that point then I would become what you call a "hugger."

3 hours ago, Dark Heart said:

I don't usually initiate contact with others at all unless I am VERY comfortable around them. Once I reach that point then I would become what you call a "hugger."

Me in a nutshell

I prefer fist bumps but I would be taken even less seriously if I tried to fist bump representatives. 

I would say I'm moderately touch averse. I think I've occasionally initiated a high five with close friends, but I definitely never initiate handshakes, fist bumps, or hugs. So for those I don't really have control over the frequency. I find these sorts of things somewhat awkward/uncomfortable, but it would definitely be far more awkward/uncomfortable to, like, dodge a hug or leave a fist bump hanging or whatever. 

• 5 months later...

Mostly it is neither, on occasion I shake hands, often people bow or curtsey to me, though I do not demand or even encourage it.

One issue with the poll is the first question.  It needs to be separated by gender, I think.  Because I'm a Hetero asexual there's a big difference for me in being touched by a male and a female.

1. How touch averse are you?
I love being touched but only by people that I know and trust

2. About how often do you fist bump?
When someone offers, Like sex I never initiate this

3. About how often do you shake hands?
Often, though again more if someone offers. With friends I prefer hugs

4. Fist bump or handshake?

I wanted to skip this but it was not permitted. OTHER - whichever the other person prefers and preferably hug if I care about them

J. van Deijck

now I work in the place where handshakes with everyone around are something normal and obvious. so I'm getting used to it. with my favourite workmates, fist bumps or even hugs are a normal thing.

I'm okay with fist bumps, high fives, and hand shakes.

Just don't hug me or intrude my personal space if I don't know you because that will not and I repeat will not be pretty.

Archived