• Moderately averse - I am ok with touch under limited situations
    • Neutral - I'm neither touch averse nor touchy-feely
    • I'M THE HUGGER
  2. 2. About how often do you fist bump?

• Regularly - Daily or weekly
    • Occasionally - Monthly or several times a year
    • Very rarely
    • I have never fist bumped anyone
  3. 3. About how often do you shake hands?

• Regularly - Daily or weekly
    • Occasionally - Monthly or several times a year
    • Very rarely
    • I have never shaken hands with anyone
  4. 4. Fist bump or handshake?

• Fist bump!
    • Handshake!
    • DON'T TOUCH

This poll is closed to new votes

So... this question has been on my mind off and on over the years, and I am curious to see what the AVEN folks think.

To avoid biasing the poll, my thoughts under the cut:

Spoiler

Even though I'm a fairly touch averse person, I tend to prefer a handshake over a fist bump, while logically I should prefer the fist bump.  There's less skin contact, after all.  However, every time I fist bump someone, all I can think about is the feeling of their knuckles, and for some reason this weirds me out.  On the other hand, I have exchanged fewer fist bumps than handshakes in my life, so maybe I am just less conditioned to this type of touch.  Is that the real reason?  Hopefully others' comments will help me figure it out.  :lol:

Fist bump or handshake? I'm more of a high-five kinda gal 🖐🏼

The "fist bump" is something which I associate with teenagers or people not much older than that. I think it is a relatively recent thing to have developed; the fist bump was not something that anyone did back when I was a teenager. I would be interested to know whether anyone over the age of 30 has ever done a fist bump; I certainly haven't. Further, I would be interested to know if anyone over 30 has ever done a fist bump with another person over 30.

Now I have to confess that I am normally a miserable old grump with a negative attitude towards trends like this that are invented by a younger generation, but in the case of the fist bump, I actually quite like it. I can envisage it becoming a normal and accepted alternative to a full handshake in formal situations, which could be good for people who are averse to a full handshake, and also it is likely to be more hygienic and result in the transfer of fewer germs. 

Here in France, we shake hands a lot, and I mean a lot. Much more than in English speaking countries. It may take many years for trends to change, but I think a fist bump is a viable alternative. 

blunose2772
19 minutes ago, Ortac said:

I would be interested to know whether anyone over the age of 30 has ever done a fist bump; I certainly haven't. Further, I would be interested to know if anyone over 30 has ever done a fist bump with another person over 30.

I'm 33 and have but I wasn't the one who initiated it. I do it just to get things over with and move on with my day.

I'm not big on touching, but I prefer the handshake. It seems (to me at least) as more formal and respectful.

Celyn: The Lutening

Definitely prefer fist bumps because there's less touch, handshakes seem way too intimate to me. And palms just feel gross - either clammy or dry and too soft either way. Ugh.

.diva plavalaguna.

I know handshakes are more well-known and formal, but if fist-bumping or uh, thumbs-upping became more acceptable, I would not be upset about it at all. I hate shaking people's hands. Who knows where that hand has been? I've seen way too many people coughing into them, wiping their noses/faces...and there are those dreaded folks who don't wash their hands when they go to the restroom. I see you. I run away from you. Yuck. 

Generally touch averse, although hand to hand is fine. Handshake (I'm British so I don't think a fist bump is a thing :P

200w.gif

1 hour ago, Skycaptain said:

Generally touch averse, although hand to hand is fine. Handshake (I'm British so I don't think a fist bump is a thing :P

My sons do it - and I can just about cope with doing it with family but not strangers. You can tell a lot about a person by their handshake 

Grumpy Alien

I’m not at all touchy feely but I’m also not in the least touch averse. I never initiate either so they’re both quite rare for me - maybe a few times a year will I shake hands and maybe one fist bump, if that. It depends on what the other person initiates. I prefer handshakes simply because there’s no complex handshake thing they could initiate whereas some people add gestures to fistbumps. Hugs for me are infinitely more common. I don’t tend to meet many new people who want to shake hands or anything other than exchange pleasantries.

8 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

I suspect that it probably is a thing in Britain; it is one of those American ideas that has caught on with youngsters in France so I would have thought that it has in Britain too. It may be that you are just a little too old to be aware of it :P

I have never fist-bumped to the best of my recollection. I don't like handshakes or high-fives either. My ideal greeting like that would be the head nod, with NO physical contact needed; and hug greetings for a select few people I know well and want to hug. :P

For a while I was suffering from tendinitis in my right elbow and every time someone would shake my hand it would hurt, but if I didn't shake it would appear rude. And the way things work with handshakes I usually didn't have a chance to say something beforehand (maybe I should have worn something like a brace or sling... just to forestall handshakes).

I prefer handshakes over fist bumps. If someone put out their fist for bumping, initially I wouldn't be sure what they were looking for.

I'm kind of neutral on the whole thing. I did shake hands with friends yesterday evening but I hadn't seen some in a long time.

I'm an old-school handshaker...my dad compliments my handshake lol. It's so firm and businesslike. :P I am confused by fist bumps and have never done one to anyone except my brother when he was talking about the kids at school (he works at a school) and how they always fist bump him. It's not my thing lol! As for hugs, you know I'm a hugger online haha...but IRL I give them sparingly. You gotta be really close/dear to me to get those hugs.

Celyn: The Lutening

I tried to train my dog to shake but he didn't like me holding his paw (I think he thought I was going to clip his nails). He gives great hi fives though!

Cat-a-tat-tat

SNAIL! :3

Image result for snail fist bump

Sometimes it's fine, other times it's not.

I will only handshake in professional situations and only if I can't get away with a wave or a nod.

My work colleague and I high five/fist bump but since they know I'm not a fan of touching he'll make sure it's like an air high five or an air fist bump. It's nice, it makes me feel a lil respected! 

I dislike shaking hands, I hate people with a firm grip who squeeze my hand, and I dislike the feel of clammy hands.  I shake hands to be polite, but would never initiate it.

I would dislike fist bumps in case the knuckles actually engaged painfully.

High fives would mean palm contact, so, no thank you. :P  

purpleandgreylife

I'm pretty touch neutral. I actually really like physical contact, but only from people I already know and feel comfortable around.

To answer the fist bump v. handshake question: I think for me it really depends on context. For instance, when I'm spending time with my little nephew and he does something I want to positively reinforce, I give him a high five. When he first greets me and before he goes home he gives me a hug and sometimes (less and less the older and heavier he gets) I'll even pick him up or do piggyback or something (every once in a while).

I hug my family when I see them as well as when I see close friends since we don't see each other that often and I feel comfortable enough for the gesture.

If I were meeting a new person or going on a job interview, I would shake hands. It's a formal way of meeting people that's polite, while allowing me to keep my physical distance from someone I don't know that well and hence don't want touching me.

If someone initiates a fist bump, I will bump back, but I don't generally initiate them (I may, but not that often).

I would want to cuddle and hold hands with and maybe kiss (closed mouth) and definitely hug someone I am in a relationship with.

Awesome feedback, all!  It is so interesting how the numbers are evening out in the poll. 

Anyways, glad I am not alone in this.  ^_^ 

I find these ritualized forms of physical contact all rather bizarre. I might want to do some research to figure out why other people find meaning in these actions.

I was once working at a community center and I had to shake hands with clients.

I would prefer a fist bump or a high five than a handshake. Some weirdos will shake my hand too long and just hold on to it. 

That makes me super uncomfortable. 

Why not both? :P

knittinghistorian

My dad is a doctor, and he told me that there had actually been a professional study done, which found that really, medically speaking, everybody should fist-bump instead of shaking hands, as it's much more sanitary.  That made me laugh.

... or things could go even further and we could replace hand shakes and fist bumps with bowing like the Japanese do. There would be no physical contact at all then. 

I don't associate fist-bumps and handshakes as the same social whats-the-word.

Fist bumps are an alternative to/"modern" version of high-fives.

That said, I am touch adverse (because, I simply don't like it, as well as it causes physical pain.)

I hate handshakes. I don't care for high-fives. Eew, germs!

I fist bump with my brother's kids because they are the type of family that forces their kids to "hug goodbye." - I don't like touching adults! I loathe touching Children!

I haven't had any bad experiences with fist bumps, while I have with handshakes. Males have attempted to crush the bones in my hands during handshakes before. So yeah, I don't like handshakes very much.

Archived