Hormone junk

darklorelei

Ok, so I've been thinking, like, I've embraced it, time to tell the world (or at least the Queer community on campus!).

Thing is, how does one get over the hormonal aspect? I actually do have a thyroid disease, but I know that it doesn't really have an effect, at least on me.

So, any thoughts, from people with or without genuine hormone problems on how to attack that inevitable question?

I realize I didn't write that too well. It just seems to me that the obvious question that I see get asked a lot is, "What's wrong with your hormones?"

I suppose something better to ask would be something along the lines of, is there anything that shows that asexuality doesn't really have anything to do with it per se? Something beyond, "That's bs, next question?"

Ah. I understand now.

Well, personally, I'm completely unaware of how my hormonal balanace affects my preferences. I recognize the fact that I may in fact have a problem with my hormones that prevents me from experiencing sexual attraction.

My general response to this sort of question would be that even if there's something "wrong" with me - it's impossible for me to know - it doesn't feel wrong to me, and so it's not something I perceive that needs to be "fixed."

I am who I am. Your chemical make-up is not a problem unless it disrupts your daily life to the point of making it unliveable. People who suffer from severe chronic depression have a definite problem - there is something wrong. Asexuality does not pose such a problem for me.

Does that make sense?

I recognize the fact that I may in fact have a problem with my hormones that prevents me from experiencing sexual attraction.

I know that you didn't mean it like this, but I don't think I would ever say their might be a *problem* per se, just because hormone levels for us might be different than in other people, doesn't mean that there is a problem. To me it's sorta the same as saying that just because a majority of people have brown eyes doesn't make blue-eyed people have problems with their genetics. Yeah we may be different, but we are still equal to everyone else, and we really shouldn't have to deal with not being accepted for who we are.

What little research there is would indicate that asexuality is completely unrelated to hormones. And even supposing a different hormonal configuration would make you a sexual person- is that a good reason to discount the asexual experience that you have now? Does that make it less valid? Supposing hormonal treatment COULD "fix" your asexuality, is there any reason that that should be more desirable to you than if modern science cooked up a way to "fix" gay people?

Supposing hormonal treatment COULD "fix" your asexuality, is there any reason that that should be more desirable to you than if modern science cooked up a way to "fix" gay people?

*violently shudders at the thought of science trying to change who I am* :x I'm praying they get over the idea that we *need* to be the *same* as everyone else :?

I need the hormones that make my muscles bigger.

It's silly. Every time I talk to my online friends about me needing steroids, the very first thing they say (100% of the time so far) is: But they make your balls shrink!!

'Tards.

Unless the person asking is an endocrinologist or similar, tell them to **** off!

Most people who say things like this know nothing about hormones anyway (in my experience). As to the hormones, if you had a serious hormone problem you'd be ill or worse pretty quickly so you'd know about it. If your thyroid problem is under control and you have a normal body shape with hair in appropriate places for your physical sex, and are otherwise in reasonably good health then your hormones are probably fine.

If they really won't shut up, ask them exactly which hormone(s) would be causing your "problem", which organs produce the hormone, how production and secretion of the hormone are controlled, what tests you would need to check out these hormones and what are the options for treating it if there was a problem with the hormone. And then tell them to **** off!!

:wink:

VivreEstEsperer

What little research there is? What research is there?

oh, and good luck with your coming out. Just tell them that there are people without any kind of hormonal problems that are still asexual, so that can be generalized to everyone...and if not tell em what Julie et al said...hormones shouldn't matter....it is what it is.

• 1 month later...

I've suffered from hyperthyroidism for about a year, and I've been taking some good medicine that controls it. I was behaving asexually long before the onset of the disease.

I seriously doubt that a distribution of hormones can play any significant role in sexual orientation.

There's too much else at work in it.

I seriously doubt that a distribution of hormones can play any significant role in sexual orientation.

There's too much else at work in it.

I agreee with you. :) I think it does have an effect, but so much else is going on at the same time that it doesn't determine anything. Also, maybe hormones at certain levels combined with other factors do one thing, but with some other factors have a dfferent effect, at the same levels, but if you changed the levels things could be completely different... It's just one piece, but not the whole :)
  • 1 month later...

I hate my female sex hormones because it makes me act very moody and depressed when I am not on the birth control pills during that time of the month. I swear to god I will stay on my pills and never go back to placebo. ! :( :shock: :? "I wish I never had a period "in the first place! :( :cry:

I realize I didn't write that too well. It just seems to me that the obvious question that I see get asked a lot is, "What's wrong with your hormones?"

Whenever anyone asks me a question that I don't feel they deserve an answer to, I just smile at them and say "fine thanks, and you?" if they still don't 'get it' I just laugh and say "what EVER would make you ask that?" Or perhaps you may want to try

Q: What's wrong with your hormones?

A: Nothing, what's wrong with your manners?

But seriously tho', I guess it depends on the way it's asked because if someone addresses it properly, willing to talk about it and just ask me "do they know if asexuality is hormone based?" I wouldn't get smartassed. It's sorta' like, if you notice someone limping, there's a polite way to ask "can I ask what happened to your leg?" and an impolite way "what the hell is wrong with you?"

I never throught about it being hormone based because, as others have said I never thought about pursuing a 'reason' or 'cure' because I don't think of it as a problem.

Hormones can mess with your mind and temper... I must learn to keep a "stiff underlip" about or else because it may affect my job social skills at work and could get me in trouble for it! :oops: :shock: :? :(

Ok, so I've been thinking, like, I've embraced it, time to tell the world (or at least the Queer community on campus!).

Thing is, how does one get over the hormonal aspect? I actually do have a thyroid disease, but I know that it doesn't really have an effect, at least on me.

So, any thoughts, from people with or without genuine hormone problems on how to attack that inevitable question?

Say this: Normal Physiological Variation, MYOB

• 2 months later...

There's a few hormones that *might* have an impact upon asexuality (or otherwise). Prolactin, say, is good at killing off libido (it is commonly released post sex, leading to satisfied sleepiness) and can have an unwanted libido reducing role in people who have naturally high levels of it....thats just one of the hormones that could play a part (in theory) but to be honest, if you're happy how you are, why would you want to mess with your body as it naturally is?

Hormones get blamed for lots of things because they're higher or lower than they should be...but what people forget is that what is 'normal' is determined by calculating the mean figure for something...for example, in my lab we recently established a mean 'normal range' for an analyte by collecting blood off all the female members of staff, mixing it up, and analysing it - thats effective, but doesn't allow for the fact that we might not be representative of our local population as a whole......All sorts of substances in the body waver and fluctuate according to various criteria - the weather, stress, region, menstrual cycle etc etc etc, so how do we guage what is *truly* normal or abnormal? All we can do on an endocrine basis is treat the WILDLY abnormals.

I doubt whether a thyroid problem would cause you to be asexual.

Those people that automatically think they can solve your problems hormonally are probably amongst those who think that a medical answer can be found for all things. - that just ain't so! Despite working in the medical field, I've got a fairly healthy disregard for the medicalisation of everything - a troublesome child MUST have ADHD for instance - RUBBISH! Sometimes they're just that kind of kid, or need handling in a specific way. *shrugs* and it'd be a bloody boring world if we could smooth out all the irregularities of life with a pill!

You are who you are. Don't let others 'excuse' that by blaming hormones.

I highly doubt that hormones, in and of themselves, cause asexuality.

To offer myself as an example: I had very low estrogen levels, and a few years ago I had to start taking birth control to fix that (for health reasons, not pyschological ones, obviously). Although I now have a much better understanding of the "mood swing" experience, my sex drive hasn't changed. So while it may be/ have been a factor, it's obviously not the sole cause.

If someone asks you that, you can just ask them what's wrong with -their- hormones that makes 'em such a horny li'l toad. Ok, ok, so that's mean, but maybe they'll get the idea.

• 2 weeks later...
Hormones are hell. They are like emotions, they lie.

hormones are great. couldn't live without them :D

- a troublesome child MUST have ADHD for instance - RUBBISH!

I know! I was a fucking pest when I was a kid, and never had the ADHD sticker stuck to me.

Whirly - :lol:

• 5 months later...

I've tried to blame the hormones .. I know I have one extra X in my chromosomes, what makes me to have the Klinefelter Syndrome. That syndrome causes a low level of testosteron. I've already tried with extra hormones and it didn't help ... but in this case, everybody is different and reacts different.

Silly Green Monkey

oooo another Kleinfelter's male! Please pardon my excitement, I'm a biologist.

Yeah! *snif* but no one else on this forum has ever posted something that has to do with klinefelter... brr my english is bad .. I don't find my words .. is it worth to start a new topic? :?:

Absolutely -- anything you're comfortable doing.

Guest starling

Thyroid more has to do with temper than sexuality. But putting that aside, I do think hormone treatment is a good way to adjust onesself sexually.

I for one would love to reduce some of these chemicals coming from my glands that influence the way my brain works. I have a few in mind, serotonin, testosterone and the like, that might be the culprits. One of the benefits of the endocrine system is it's not as complicated as the brain, so we can actually comprehend it to some extent.

If I could get out of this tense, anxious, fixated, leg twitching, brain knotting, disorienting sensation, perhaps I could start writing stories again, which is what I truly want to do.