New Journal Article Examines Patterns of Asexuality in China!

Pramana

A new journal article provides the first study of patterns of asexuality among a sample group recruited from Chinese online asexual communities. The study found similar correlates as previous Western studies on asexuality. Notably:

1. Asexuality Identification Scale (AIS) (a questionnaire designed to measure lack of sexual attraction) produced results similar to those of previous studies on Western sample groups. For their Chinese sample group: "90% of self-reported asexual participants scored 40 or above on the AIS and 88% of AIS ≥ 40 participants self-reported as asexual." 
2. Asexuals on average scored low on measures of sexual attraction and measures of dyadic sexual desire, but only slightly lower on measures of solitary sexual desire, compared to a sexual control group (replicating the findings of several Western studies that measured solo and dyadic sexual desire on the Sexual Desire Inventory (SDI) and sexual attraction on the AIS scale).
3. New to this study, a finding that a percentage of self-identified asexuals who were also classified as asexual according to the AIS still recorded a low degree of sexual attraction when asked to rate their level of sexual attraction to men and women on a Likert scale. Interestingly, when asexuals recorded a slight amount of sexual attraction, it tended to be in the form of slight bisexuality (i.e. they recorded a low degree of sexual attraction to both men and women). Authors suggest that a more accurate definition of asexuality might be "people who experience little or no sexual attraction’".
4. Finding of a group of "uncertain asexuals" with intermediary scores between sexuals and asexuals on the AIS. Authors suggest that this group might represent gray-asexuals and demisexuals, although gray-asexuality and demisexuality weren't the subject of this study.

Lijun Zheng, and Yanchen Su. “Patterns of Asexuality in China: Sexual Activity, Sexual and Romantic Attraction, and Sexual Desire.” Archives of Sexual Behavior 0, no. 0 (2018): 1-12.

Hey, it'd be really awesome if you could gimme a link to this article so I can index it. Thank you!

Tagging @Pramana so they know that I asked. :)

54 minutes ago, FaerieFate said:

Hey, it'd be really awesome if you could gimme a link to this article so I can index it. Thank you!

Tagging @Pramana so they know that I asked. :)

The article is publicly available here: 

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/322815402_Patterns_of_Asexuality_in_China_Sexual_Activity_Sexual_and_Romantic_Attraction_and_Sexual_Desire

Archived