Asexuality in the LGBT+ Community

Tiny-Grey-Dinosaurs

Asexuality and the LGBT+ Community   

94 members have voted

1. 1. Are you on the asexual or aromantic spectrum?

• Yes - aromantic
    • Yes - Asexual
    • Yes - Both
    • No
  2. 2. If aspectrum - Do you feel as aspectrum identifying people belong within the LGBT+ community?

• Yes
    • No
    • I am not aspectrum
  3. 3. If aspectrum - Do you feel completely accepted within the LGBT+ Community?

• Yes
    • No
    • I am not aspectrum
  4. 4. If not aspectrum - are you a part of the LGBT+ community? Do you think aspectrum people should be a part of the LGBT+ community?

• I am not a part of the LGBT+ community
    • I am LGBT+ - Yes
    • I am LGBT+ - No
    • I am aspectrum

This poll is closed to new votes

Tiny-Grey-Dinosaurs

I'm conducting surveys within my school and online about acceptance of asexuality within the LGBT+ spaces and among heterosexual people. I'm writing a research paper for my AP Lang class, so it's not for anything big but I'd appreciate any submissions. =)

binary suns

Grey/Demi 

yes we belong with lgbt 

No I don’t feel we are yet, but we’re on the right track. Our visibility gets  intrinsically picked up in some of the local lgbt communities. But not all. And while visible, we aren’t much represented. 

Yes I am a part of lgbt already because of other factors besides being ace/aro spec. 

Asexual, and personally my stance has always been that asexuality is distinct from LGBT+.

Never had any issues with non-acceptance within LGBT communities, I just don't feel like we belong there.

Side note: Your poll needs some tweaking if you want accurate results. Questions 2 and 3 have to be answered by non-aspectrum participants, and aspectrum participants have to answer question 4; otherwise, the poll won't accept their responses. Adding an "I am not X" option may resolve this.

Good luck with your paper :cake: 

Grumpy Alien

I can only answer 1 and 4

edit: Verb said it better :P 

binary suns

o - lol - I answered all four freely because I'm otherwise lgbtq+. didn't even notice it myself xD 

yup - I also recommend then, a simple addition to those three questions to cover the not applicable (n/a) or does not apply (dna) - "I am not ace" or "I am ace" 

also make sure to add them at the end - I think this poll software does not keep track of your questions except by their order - so if you don't add updated answers to the end of their question's answer list, they'll steal another answer's votes. 

(so for Q2: A1, A2 - add A3. For Q3: A1, A2 - add A3. etc...   within each question, append the new answers from your edit to the end of that question's list)

(@Tiny-Grey-Dinosaurs)

Tiny-Grey-Dinosaurs
23 hours ago, Verb said:

Asexual, and personally my stance has always been that asexuality is distinct from LGBT+.

Never had any issues with non-acceptance within LGBT communities, I just don't feel like we belong there.

Side note: Your poll needs some tweaking if you want accurate results. Questions 2 and 3 have to be answered by non-aspectrum participants, and aspectrum participants have to answer question 4; otherwise, the poll won't accept their responses. Adding an "I am not X" option may resolve this.

Good luck with your paper :cake: 

Thank you I didn't notice that before, it should be fixed now. :D

Ace\Aro

My stance on if Ace\Aros being accepted in LGBT+ communities is best described as Schrodinger's Ace\Aro as far as LGBT+, were I feel they are and are not part of the community. By that, as a minority sexual\romantic orientation, I think I am LGBT+ but I don't think that I am.

I feel that othersaces and\or aros should be able to be part of their communities but also be part of a separate ace\aro community, as they see fit.

I’m ace, not aro.

I feel as though aspectrum people belong with LGBT+. (But it’s okay if people don’t choose to associate themselves.)

I don’t feel fully accepted in the LGBT+ community. There are a lot of people who say that aces do not face persecution like LGBT people, or that asexuals are hetero (that it doesn’t exist). My romantic orientation (panromantic) is accepted as LGBT+ though. As long as people aren’t arguing about the split attraction model. This isn’t to say that there aren’t a bunch of LGBT+ people who have accepted asexuality into their community.

I am aspectrum.

I'm ace and aro. 

I would say that we overthink this question as a whole, I see it everywhere and, in my opinion, if you feel as though you're a part of the LGBT community, then you are. I myself never felt any identification, but I know some other aces do and that's wonderful. Me, I've only dated men and I don't even feel a need to date in the first place, so this strong pull to fight for the right to marry and love another person is just not something I relate to. 

However, I know this attitude may change. I'm interested in having a QPP in the future, and if my partner ends up being a woman than I imagine I'd be able to better relate to the community, for example, because I'd have a better understanding of the unique challenges they face. 

Overall I don't think the LGBT community is fully accepting...and I don't necessarily blame them for it. Not that it's a good thing to be exclusionary...but I get it. They were fighting for visibility and to be taken seriously for years and years, and now suddenly LGBT is being transformed into LGBTDifhdhshxbdjsjc+ and I imagine they're scared. Finally people are starting to accept homosexuality and recognize bisexuality and pansexuality as real, and then all of a sudden this thing called asexuality that no one's ever heard of moves in and complicates acceptance even further. 

I could be totally wrong, that's just my take on it. Going further, I'd like to see more acceptance for aces who feel as though they are a part of the community. 

My opinion is that there is a fair amount of overlap, especially when one takes into account the intersectionality (high percentage of asexuals who are bi/pan-romantic, and who are transgender or non-binary). However, in other ways the communities are aligned at right angles (celebrating same-sex attractions and associated forms of sexual behaviour, versus lack of sexual attraction and associated sexual disinterest).

I feel a certain kinship with the LGBT-alphabet, but I'm unsure whether we are, or need to be, "full members" of that community.

While we don't have the same kind of persecution, we do deserve the recognition for recognition-sake. Too many people spend too many years thinking they're broken because they've don't know Asexuality even exists. (I'm honestly not sure if it's appropriate to get that recognition through the LGBT community, or not.)

• 2 weeks later...
Rainbow Cloud

Well, as someone who spent five years from the ages of 12-17 believing I was the worst gay person ever for being drawn to the opposite sex as much as the same, and then learning about bisexuality and pansexuality, switching between the two for a while before I decided bisexual was the label for me with panromantic as the other side of it, just to now figure out I'm also grey-ace despite considering myself bisexual and that I'm demi panromantic, so I feel like I belong to both. I've felt both accepted and rejected by both sides of it, but for the most part, all the people I've come across online and those in real life have all been as equally accepting of asexuals as their own, though I've found as a bisexual/grey-ace person, gay people can be as horrible as straight people when it comes to accepting we exist, that we're not attention seeking or confused, that it's not a phase, etc. Spending more than half my life as a bisexual who doesn't often feel the desire to be sexual (technically, I've never had sex, but there's been times when I've felt I wanted to), and yet who's been accused of sleeping with everything that moves because that's what my people do, well, I guess I understand both sides of it from both the non-LGBTQ± and the LGBTQ± people - everyone can be cruel, but there are those from both sides who are considerate, understanding, and accepting. On the whole, though, I think if you feel like you belong to the LGBTQ± community, then you do, and if you don't, then you're not - no one should tell you which group of people you belong to, just remember for all those who mock and ricule us, there are those who accept us as we are. And seeing as though there as many who are romantically attracted to the same sex and/or gender as there are those who aren't, I don't think it's fair to say that asexuals shouldn't be part of the community, because many belong to it regardless. I have no issue with the Q and a plus being added on to be more inclusive, I consider the community to be there for all those who are anything but straight-up heterosexual and heteroromantic.

• 11 months later...

@Tiny-Grey-Dinosaurs

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived