going abroad, how should I prepare for it?

J. van Deijck

J. van Deijck

Okay so my workplace decided to promote me in some way and they're going to send me to Belgium for 3 months. I'm really excited, but also somewhat stressed because I haven't been living abroad for so long and also I've never lived in Belgium :D I'm going to visit home once every month, so I can 'revive' my food supplies (everything in my country is like 4x cheaper, so it seems more profitable to take my food from here). just in case, I got to know my credit card is allowed to be used abroad so I can pay in shops using it. I know we're going to stay in a hotel and our workplace is going to pay for it.

but what else should I take with myself? and also, how does life look like there? :o I speak English, as you see, so I assume I can communicate everywhere I go :P and I probably should have the phone roaming function active, am I right?

Yes, you are right :D where are you going?

J. van Deijck

yay. :D I didn't remember the city name (silly me...), but I'll have it written somewhere for sure. :P my workplace is sending me there for training, and I'll be paid better for these 3 months :D

Anyway. Language is key; you might want to memorize a few daily phrases. You should get along with English most of the time though. Belgium is divided into the "french" part and the "flemish" part. One can make sense of most things in Flemish if one knows German or Dutch.

I read someone describing Belgium as "the Czech Republic of Western Europe" and I think that's pretty accurate :D For a start, it's not exactly clean and tidy but that's something you just get used to. If you have some time, make sure to visit Gent and Brugge, those are the most beautiful cities over there. (Seriously, do not miss out on these two places).

When I travel, I always have a paper sheet with addresses and emergency telephone numbers with me. Getting lost abroard with a dead cell phone is not funny. Copy your passport and/or ID. Other than that... hm. Everyday stuff (food, shelter, laundry...) seems to be covered. I don't know if you need any additional official paperwork. Cash withdrawal is easy, wi-fi is alright (but I'm German so I'm not used to much and it's better almost anywhere I go :()

Oh and I hope you like french fries :D

J. van Deijck

yay sure I do :D fries ftw :D and thank you for your insightful post :3 

I'll get to know more before Easter, I think. sure I'll get to know the city name, too :D they already told me that taking my food supplies is more profitable since it would be cheaper. I don't have a passport, but we're in the EU, so a valid ID will be enough, right? :3

oh, and working wi-fi. yay. it means AVEN won't have a break from me XD <3

but I don't have much time. I got to know about it today, and we're supposed to go there right after Easter :o

Bombardier has settled in Antwerp and Gent, if that's of any help :D

Yup, ID will do then :) all the other things to think of don't really apply - visa, health insurance, finding and/or getting rid of your living space... hm.

J. van Deijck

blah... Bombardier XD what about Alstom :P

now I'm not sure if it wasn't Gent maybe... seems possible :D

That would be Charleroi or Mechelen. Charleroi is very much near Brussels; nothing special to see there (but there's a low-cost airport). Mechelen is a bit further south. Haven't been there yet but I read an article about the city the other day. Mechelen used to be crime-ridden and more dangerous than the rest of the country so its reputation is in the gutter, but the current major has done a lot to improve the situation.

J. van Deijck

mwah. I hope it's it :D it must be as I actually work for them :P

remember how I asked once where is Salzgitter placed?

:D

but wait. I work for Alstom, and a department next to us works for Aventra, which belongs to Bombardier. and we all go to the same place

:o isn't it weird XD

Tagging @Autumn Season because she knows what to think of

J. van Deijck

you travel by my beautiful LINT trains. is me right? :o xD

Here's a complete list of what I think is important (as someone who has lived in various countries):

1. Learn the local language.

J. van Deijck
1 minute ago, timewarp said:

Here's a complete list of what I think is important (as someone who has lived in various countries):

1. Learn the local language.

omg. I doubt I will manage to do it in one week XD but I suppose I'll catch a little bit while living there and hearing local natives, am I right? :3 well, if I listen carefully :D

paperbackreader

2. Learn the various gestures that may be considered an insult so you don't accidentally insult someone... 

3. Work out if you need to tip or not and how much 

4. Work out the basics of how to get around the place you live in (train? Bus?) 

5. Read up about local interesting food to try 

6. Pack something small that's  familiar that brings your home to you eg a favourite pillow 

J. van Deijck
1 minute ago, paperbackreader said:

2. Learn the various gestures that may be considered an insult so you don't accidentally insult someone... 

3. Work out if you need to tip or not and how much 

4. Work out the basics of how to get around the place you live in (train? Bus?) 

5. Read up about local interesting food to try 

that's awesome.thanks! :3

paperbackreader

I added a 6 as an afterthought xD

paperbackreader

Enjoy your adventure! (man, I must be hungry. Incomplete thoughts. Time to eat!!) 

J. van Deijck

yay but 6 is awesome! :3 *looks around to see what he can take* my bf always takes one of my t-shirts when he's far from home, so maybe I can take his one :P

2 hours ago, [noize:injekktion] said:

... taking my food supplies is more profitable since it would be cheaper.

I wouldn’t take food with me, it is very unpleasant to travel with heavy luggage.  You can buy all you need in Belgium. (There may even be a Polish sklep, there’s one where I live :)).

Instead I would take some light items of sentimental value with me to make myself feel at home in the hotel room. Things like a teddy bear or a poster to hang on the wall. Enjoy your stay.

I don't have a passport, but we're in the EU, so a valid ID will be enough, right? :3

Both Poland and Belgium are in the Schengen Area (you can Google that), so you don’t need a passport. It is advisable to take ID.

Autumn Season
37 minutes ago, Homer said:

Tagging @Autumn Season because she knows what to think of

Hi! :) Actually I'm a natural airhead, so I never remember everything I might need. The first time I went abroad for a year, I forgot to take my bras with me. :redface:

1. An overseas health insurance is useful.

2. I'd put the original important documents and their copies in separate places.

3. Unless you already have people you know (and like) with you, I'd try to make friends immediately. Having friends in one's homecountry is not enough to be happy.

4. Inside of the EU the mobile phone flatrates are now unified. You can use a Polish flat to make calls in Belgium. Roaming on the other hand is expensive.

5. Be sure to take care of your health. (Eat well, tank sunshine, exercise, socialize and so on.) In a foreign country one never knows what can go wrong and being generally healthy helps in all situations.

6. Try out everything you wanted to try out in Belgium, before you leave the country. :) 

1 hour ago, timewarp said:

... Learn the local language.

@[noize:injekktion] I would find out which language they speak where you’re going to stay. Then learn just one sentence in that language, ‘I am sorry, I do not speak  Dutch/French/German, do you speak English? In Dutch it would be ‘Het spijt me, ik praat geen Nederlands, spreekt U Engels?

As @Autumn Season says, health insurance, and if you have take your EHIC.

J. van Deijck

omg. how do you even pronounce it :D I want to learn Dutch language one day, though. it's beautiful :3

ah. it's just you know, 4x more expensive to buy food there :D that's why I want to take some with me. as I said, I'm going to go home every month :3

I guess everything else (including the insurance) is provided by my workplace, but then I will know more next week. :o

36 minutes ago, [noize:injekktion] said:

omg. how do you even pronounce it :D

Write it down and show them the note :lol: I saw a Dutch pronunciation audio online https://forvo.com/languages/nl/

I want to learn Dutch language one day, though. it's beautiful :3

You are very polite, thank you :) , but I wouldn’t bother :lol: . Not exactly one of the useful world languages :mellow:

I guess everything else (including the insurance) is provided by my workplace, ...

Might be, yes, I’d check it out.

2 hours ago, Homer said:

Belgium is divided into the "french" part and the "flemish" part.

Yes, plus a tiny German speaking part.

One can make sense of most things in Flemish if one knows German or Dutch.

Flemish is not a language, they speak Dutch, it’s just how they call it.

I don't have any advice. I think the others are covering that very well anyway. But I did want to say, what an awesome adventure (and you're getting paid for it!)! Enjoy and get the most out of it that you want. :D 

J. van Deijck
4 hours ago, daveb said:

I don't have any advice. I think the others are covering that very well anyway. But I did want to say, what an awesome adventure (and you're getting paid for it!)! Enjoy and get the most out of it that you want. :D 

YAY!! :D I will miss my bf for sure, but we will keep in touch anyway, every day. just like usual <3 I'll try to get the most out of it :3

and @Thea2, thank you for the link! :3 I might actually wrote it down just in case, it would even make sense with my bad hearing :lol:

J. van Deijck

I got to know the city name. it's Knokke-Heist *.*

J. van Deijck

summoning @sea-lemon because she wanted to know the city name :D where are you going to be? :3

5 minutes ago, [noize:injekktion] said:

summoning @sea-lemon because she wanted to know the city name :D where are you going to be? :3

I'm still not 100% sure exactly where, but I think we'll be in Brugge on the 29th :D

SpaceDustbin

You'll get to experience the beautiful Flemish coast, haha ;) - it's also close to Cadzand in NL, where you can sometimes find fossils on the beach, which is pretty cool. 

Better start practicing your Dutch ;)

Make sure to make a lot of trips - the Netherlands and France isn't far away either, so... Have fun :D

Archived