Rings

Aroace...Artimus

Aroace...Artimus

Hi,

So recently, I’ve been doing a lot of research on different sexual and romantic orientations along with different gender identities so I can learn new terms and feel more informed and involved in the queer community. But, one thing that I never really bothered with was learning more about asexuality and aromanticism. And, that’s probably since I already know a lot about the community. I know different identities under the asexual and aromantic umbrella, along with their flags.  I know about different types of attractions, sex positivity and negativity, and the differences between sex/romance favorable, indifferent, and repulsed/adverse. I know about different terms like “asexy”, “no romo”, squishes, squashes, zucchinis, QPRs, QPPs, and stuff like 53x+m3=0. I know about different symbols in the community like cake, dragons, alligators, axolotls, armadillos, and the Ace of Hearts, Spades, Clubs, and Diamonds. Yet, I don’t really think about the rings aces wear. I wear one, and I know why people would wear one. It’s simply a way to connect back with the community and for people who are ace to recognize other aces. But, what are the origins of the ace ring? I know the origins of cake and dragons, and, of course, AVEN itself, but, what about our rings?

Also, what about the aromantic community? I was watching youngblossom’s video, “All About Ace Rings”, on YouTube recently. Great channel and you should subscribe. (I just advertised someone else’s channel. Wow.) It was a nice and cool video that talk about Jonah’s experience with ace rings and how to approach people about them. But, while I was reading the comments after, I saw something rather interesting. Someone was basically wondering if there was a ring for aromantics. Then someone replied. They were basically explaining how there was a ring for aromantics. It would be white and you would either wear it on top of your ace ring like a stack, or, wear it on the middle finger of the left hand.  But, people never really did it. How come? What was wrong with the idea? Did people dislike the idea or was the idea just forgotten? Was the idea you never talked about or is it even real? Sorry for all the questions, but, I really like the idea of it. Not only would aroace people be able to connect to both communities, but, if someone were to ask, aroace people can explain both asexuality and aromanticism. Symbolism would fall both ways. So what happened? What are the origins of these two rings? How did the ace ring came to be? And, why did the aro ring never happen? Just answer down below and thank you very much.

(Also, sorry about the overly-long talk. I tend to overly-explain everything, since I have problems).

• Like 2
Platonic Underdog

I'm not really sure. All I know is I actually do have an aro ring, a white band on my left middle finger, opposite of my ace ring. I don't wear either to recognise other aces or aros since that's pretty damn unlikely here in Adelaide but more so as a reminder that I'm not alone, that there are so many others like me. I would like for the aro ring to be more popular, though. 

• Like 3
Aroace...Artimus
7 minutes ago, Platonic Underdog said:

I'm not really sure. All I know is I actually do have an aro ring, a white band on my left middle finger, opposite of my ace ring. I don't wear either to recognise other aces or aros since that's pretty damn unlikely here in Adelaide but more so as a reminder that I'm not alone, that there are so many others like me. I would like for the aro ring to be more popular, though. 

That’s really cool. So, it is a thing. I find that so amazing. I’ll probably buy one soon so I can wear it on my left middle finger too, even if it isn’t as popular as the ace ring. I’m glad your rings bring you back to the community. I know what it’s like to not recognize any other aces. I’ve only met one other ace person, and they ended up moving away. But, thanks for responding. Have fun and here’s some cake :cake::cake::cake: 

• Like 1
Platonic Underdog

No worries, right back at you with the cake 🍰🍰🍰 😊 

• Like 1
Celyn: The Lutening

I started at the "All about ace rings" that you mentioned and followed the interweb bunnies to this. So it was created here on AVEN. I assume that the aro ring was just an extension of the ace ring logic. All those aros out there - wear it if it appeals! The only way to make symbols a Thing is to use them.

• Like 3
Aroace...Artimus
8 minutes ago, Celyn said:

I started at the "All about ace rings" that you mentioned and followed the interweb bunnies to this. So it was created here on AVEN. I assume that the aro ring was just an extension of the ace ring logic. All those aros out there - wear it if it appeals! The only way to make symbols a Thing is to use them.

Wow, cool. I’ll definitely watch the video soon, since I’ve definitely seen videos from her. Thanks for the help, here’s some cake :cake::cake::cake: 

• Like 2
Platonic Underdog
12 minutes ago, Celyn said:

"You'd know because I go on and on about"

Why is this so me, though? I think I might fall down the rabbit hole 😅

• Like 2

Heh, you can join me in said rabbit hole :)

• Like 2
knittinghistorian
5 hours ago, Artisan_Anlimor said:

I know the origins of cake and dragons, and, of course, AVEN itself, but, would about our rings?

Where does the dragon thing come from?  I've never known.

• Like 1

Because we tend to like dragons (rabid dragon collector and dragon book reader here!)

• Like 4
Aroace...Artimus
4 hours ago, knittinghistorian said:

Where does the dragon thing come from?  I've never known.

The origins of cake and dragons are rather similar. With cake, everyone just agreed that cake was better than sex. And, with dragons, everyone agreed dragons are more interesting than sex. They’re just little symbols that everyone likes, hopefully.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
Artsy Anvil

I actually own both an ace ring and an aro ring. Since I didn’t know my ring size before buying the rings, I got the rings a bit too big. So I reordered two more, but, now they’re a bit small. But, I’ll find the right size soon.