No labels

Éadweard

I continue to have less and less in common with the people who call themselves asexual. I sometimes I think I would be better off saying I chose not to label myself since I lack a sexual orientation or just calling myself the all-inclusive queer. 

If you think that the asexual community exists to provide you with constant daily validation of your sexual orientation identity, then perhaps you have unrealistic expectations about life?

Perhaps also you should explain why you're imposing on the community by starting this thread, because to put it bluntly, I don't give a damn about your perceived problems, and I can't see why anyone else would?

Yeah I kinda wished that the term was more open to use by most. It's a weird community here.

I agree that it's better to not use a label if it's going to cause you to have to do more explaining then just not using the label in the first place. And just explaining your experiences. So I can totally understand how you feel that way if the asexual community doesn't seem to be representing how you feel.

2 hours ago, Pramana said:

If you think that the asexual community exists to provide you with constant daily validation of your sexual orientation identity, then perhaps you have unrealistic expectations about life?

Perhaps also you should explain why you're imposing on the community by starting this thread, because to put it bluntly, I don't give a damn about your perceived problems, and I can't see why anyone else would?

That's not what they were saying at all; I have no idea why you are being so unnecessarily aggressive? And they're also not imposing on the community at all, anyone's free to make a thread... If you don't give a damn, then why even bother posting on their thread? Just because you don't care about something, doesn't mean no one else does.

8 hours ago, Baam said:

I agree that it's better to not use a label if it's going to cause you to have to do more explaining then just not using the label in the first place. And just explaining your experiences. So I can totally understand how you feel that way if the asexual community doesn't seem to be representing how you feel.

That's not what they were saying at all; I have no idea why you are being so unnecessarily aggressive? And they're also not imposing on the community at all, anyone's free to make a thread... If you don't give a damn, then why even bother posting on their thread? Just because you don't care about something, doesn't mean no one else does.

As least by my reading, the only point of the OP is to say that they can't relate to newer people who ID as asexual for different reasons than they do. Sorry if I read this the wrong way, but it's not like other people should change how they identify in order to accommodate you, and it an unrealistic imposition to expect them to do so.

45 minutes ago, Pramana said:

As least by my reading, the only point of the OP is to say that they can't relate to newer people who ID as asexual for different reasons than they do. Sorry if I read this the wrong way, but it's not like other people should change how they identify in order to accommodate you, and it an unrealistic imposition to expect them to do so.

I can see how you interpreted it that way, but they didn't specifically say that it was the newer people who are IDing as asexual they had a problem with, but the direction the community is heading overall perhaps? Even if the OP did mean the newer people, they didn't demand anywhere that anyone should change their identity to make the OP feel included. I also don't see much room for discussion on this thread though so I'm unsure of the motivation of creating it, though they're free to do as they like of course..

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I can identify with your feelings @Just like Jughead. In this case, my personality trait is 'self contained' which really means I don't need the approval of the society I'm in, but have a strong sense of social justice nevertheless - it's just that, unfortunately, the perfect socially just community doesn't exist, because-oh yes! Humans! :lol:

"Labels" are overrated anyway. I have no intention of "labelling" myself one way or the other. Can't see how this is related to other people though; it's an entirely personal decision...

Archived