Possible Ace ring spotted

Willgracefan

Willgracefan

I work with the public. Today a young woman came into my office needing assistance. It was half way through our transaction when I spotted a black ring on her right hand, middle finger. My immediate response was to hide my right hand with my ace ring. But a few moments later I said f-it and just did my job as normal and helped this woman who happened to have the same exact ring as me, on the same finger. 

I told myself self that I was wearing my ring so if anyone was ever to ask about it I’d tell the truth. My reaction to hide disappointed me. I’m mad at myself 

Don't be too hard on yourself!! I totally understand that impulse (and it's why I haven't taken the plunge and gotten a ring yet). And hey, you still did your job...that's got to be a plus!

I've been wanting to get a ring for years but haven't found one I like or actually fits my bony fingers. I like the inconspicuousness of a ring instead of... an ace flag pin. I used to have a small one I'd put on my backpack and didn't think anyone would pay attention. Unfortunately, I was wrong. I took it out and lost it once people started asking me what it meant. I'm not ashamed; I just don't like talking about myself to strangers especially on this topic. I now have stickers that I'd probably not even notice what they really meant at first glance and just think were cute.  

I understand you, it is something really personal to talk about your asexuality. We use the ring to feel part of the community, sometimes to be recognized and to recognize other aces, but we never know our reaction until we find one, specially in the workplace. Don't be so hard on yourself, it would also probably do something like that. 

It’s not a ring but I saw someone in an LA mall with a purple, black, and white beanie on their head, and it didn’t match any of their pieces of clothing so I really wanted to ask if it was ace-related. Unfortunately, I was with relatives who I’m not out too, and I’m also a bit socially anxious so I chickened out. ☹️ It was so frustrating cause I couldn’t stop wondering for the whole day. ☹️

Archived