Dolly Parton, Love or Hate?

OhDearyMe!

I personally absolutely adore Dolly Parton. She is an amazing singer-songwriter and person. (The only thing I’m not a fan of is how she had quite a bit of  surgery, but I’m not one to judge, she can do whatever she wants to do to herself). 

What do do you think of Dolly Parton? What are you favourite or least favourite songs from her? Any Dolly Parton drama that you love or despise? 

2 minutes ago, andreas1033 said:

I do not like country music and i do not like her.

If you don’t mind me asking, what don’t you like? 

I wouldn't say either but if I would have to pick I would say love as I do like her.

Grumpy Alien

I don’t know anything about her but I don’t enjoy country music, find American southern accents grating, and think she looks bizarre.

1 hour ago, Mayayaya said:

... What do do you think of Dolly Parton?

I love 💕 her.  I like country music. And I like that she is child free, like me.

straightouttamordor

I like her song "Jolene". The amusement park in Tennessee is cool. She doesn't have to worry about drowning.

I'm not a fan of country music, but from what I know about Ms Parton it seems like she is a pretty cool, talented and smart person.

I really only know her from the movie "9 to 5" and the song by the same name. It was a great movie but this was also because Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda were in it too. The only country and western band I could ever really tolerate was The Eagles. Of course the Rolling Stones did a wonderful take on rural American music on their Beggar's Banquet album. They even had a genuine "crying hillbilly" song. Olivia Newton John seems the Australian equivalent of Dolly Parton though they don't look the same. From what I have seen of her on tabloids in the shopping checkout line, Dolly appears to be aging well. 

16 minutes ago, Yeast said:

The only country and western band I could ever really tolerate was The Eagles.

Maybe because they weren't strictly country & western? :P (I mean, there was a bit of it in their music, but also folk and rock, and some western themes)

(one of their songs was used as the theme song for the original Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy radio shows)

The theme tune used for the radio series (and all subsequent adaptations) is "Journey of the Sorcerer", an instrumental piece composed by Bernie Leadon and recorded by The Eagles on their album One of These Nights.

:)

(it's actually what got me listening to The Eagles, back some time ago) :D 

1 hour ago, daveb said:

Maybe because they weren't strictly country & western?

Yea, that's probably it. The Eagles song I liked least was "crying eyes" which was one of the more country and western numbers they did. There was perhaps one country artist I liked when I was younger. I had purchased a vinyl LP of tunes from the Sound of Music. The first side was predictable but imagine my surprise when I flipped it over only to hear Boots Randolph. I can only assume someone must have mixed up something on the record press. Randolph was a sort of rockabilly artist who played the saxophone. He wasn't bad but the music itself was terribly corny. 

6 minutes ago, Yeast said:

Boots Randolph

That's the "Yakety Sax" guy!? On The Sound of Music soundtrack? Sounds fishy to me, too. :lol: 

SpaceDustbin

I have a new found appreciation for Dolly Parton. She seems like a nice person from some of the interviews I've seen, and my favourite radio station plays some of her songs every now and then - the DJs seem to genuinely love it as well, which is great ;)

It makes me especially happy when I hear 9 to 5 on the radio, to give you that extra bit of energy to get through your day at work :lol:

Love her!

Incredibly talented. Music, and acting. Truvy forever!!!

Her philanthropy is admirable.

Hundreds of awards, and nominations.

AFAIC: A national treasure!

1 hour ago, Tja said:

Love her!

Incredibly talented. Music, and acting. Truvy forever!!!

Her philanthropy is admirable.

Hundreds of awards, and nominations.

AFAIC: A national treasure!

AFAIC = As Far As I'm Concerned. Truvy in the Urban dictionary = Adjective: Totally awesome. Right, homework done ✅ Now I can say, I agree! :D

14 hours ago, Thea2 said:

I love 💕 her.  I like country music. And I like that she is child free, like me.

Yahsss! That is pretty cool. I also find it amazing how she had her first song released when she was 13, the song is called « puppy love » and she wrote it when she was 11!

14 hours ago, prib23 said:

Jolene

I adore Jolene! One of my favourites

3 hours ago, SpaceDustbin said:

It makes me especially happy when I hear 9 to 5 on the radio, to give you that extra bit of energy to get through your day at work :lol:

Totally agree! 9 to 5 is also one of my favourites and definitely my number 1 morning song 

4 hours ago, Thea2 said:

I only get ‘This video is not available’. :huh:

If you are interested in listening to it I guess you can search youtube for The Eagles and/or The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy theme song :) 

8 hours ago, Thea2 said:

AFAIC = As Far As I'm Concerned. Truvy in the Urban dictionary = Adjective: Totally awesome. Right, homework done ✅ Now I can say, I agree! :D

Actually, Truvy is her character's name from Steel Magnolias. *So, totally awesome applies! ;)*

AFAIC: One of the best movies ever made.

Always liked her. Favorite song? "I will always love you". Major hit for her and Whitney Houston. 

1 hour ago, Tja said:

Actually, Truvy is her character's name from Steel Magnolias. *So, totally awesome applies! ;)*

AFAIC: One of the best movies ever made.

Ah, I saw that movie in the cinema when it came out and found it irritating, a total yawn and instantly forgettable. 8) To each his own. :) 

1 hour ago, Thea2 said:

Ah, I saw that movie in the cinema when it came out and found it irritating, a total yawn and instantly forgettable. 8) To each his own. :) 

Interesting.

I found it dynamic, amusing, and touching. The characters were well written, well acted, and memorable. :)

1 hour ago, Tja said:

... I found it dynamic, amusing, and touching. The characters were well written, well acted, and memorable. :)

Yes, it was well liked at the time by many. Ah well, I’ve always felt like an alien 👽. :lol:

4 hours ago, DJS05 said:

Always liked her. Favorite song? "I will always love you". Major hit for her and Whitney Houston. 

I personally love and adore Dolly Parton’s “I will always love you”. Whereas when Whitney sings it... it just sounds too much. You can really hear the truth in Dolly’s voice. Well it’s understandable considering the fact that she was the one who wrote due to her own experience

Archived