Songs from your youth that you still listen to

Piotrek

Here's a thread for all those who like to go down the memory lane every once in a while and re- listen to the music of their tweenage years. Feel free to post songs and associated memories :)

Here's one from me to get this started:

Spoiler

I bought the Scooter audio cassette :D  containing this song when the "Our Happy Hardcore" album came out in 1996 and I like it ever since, even though I haven't been following Scooter's new releases.

The first song I ever purchased as a kid

Spoiler

purpleandgreylife

I was about thirteen when I went into a record store and saw CDs for the first time. I couldn't understand why they wanted me to pay $18 for a CD when a tape only cost $8. So, I bought the tape.

Spoiler

41BX1XdGeML.jpg

When i was 10 years old I absolutely adored Avril Lavigne. Every single day, all the time, I would be listening to Avril Lavigne. I still like her now, but I have to say that’s i kind of did an Avril Lavigne overdose as a child XD 

1 hour ago, Andrew001 said:
  Hide contents

OMG I LOVE OASIS

When I was younger I almost exclusively listened to the music my parents like. So lots of the Beatles, The Who, and a bit of Michael Jackson. I still love those artists and listen to them, but I've started listening to other music also. Oh, and also when I was really little I liked the Sesame Street CDs. And when I was in middle school I went through a very brief phase where I tried to like music people liked and pretended to love 5 Seconds of Summer and to think that their bassist was super hot (clearly a lie since I've never found someone to be "hot." I think I just picked the person who the fewest people favored because I felt bad for him). I don't listen to them anymore, thank god :D 

10 minutes ago, SpACEd Out said:

And when I was in middle school I went through a very brief phase where I tried to like music people liked and pretended to love 5 Seconds of Summer and to think that their bassist was super hot (clearly a lie since I've never found someone to be "hot." I think I just picked the person who the fewest people favored because I felt bad for him). I don't listen to them anymore, thank god :D 

Omg lol!! I did the same with One Direction! 😆 Although I said Harry Styles because I esthetically found his hair cool (before it got long) 

14 minutes ago, SpACEd Out said:

Beatles, The Who

Yahsssss

andreas1033

Anything really from 1990's. It was the decade of my youth, and for what ever reason, the decades music really resonated with me.

I just do not like any other decades music.

Personally i think the 90's was the last real decade of the human race. When humans lived what was normal for them, before this mass technocratic world opened up for people in the world.

Spoiler

July 1976 - I was 5 years old when this song came out. It's one of those songs with cool visuals and a sense of nostalgia for something that never really existed.

This band in general was played a lot in my household as a kid and I still think if they split after their fourth record they'd be the best band of all time. Shame about the direction they've taken since

4 hours ago, SpACEd Out said:

When I was younger I almost exclusively listened to the music my parents like.

Same here! 

My mom didn't listen to a lot of music, so what I mostly remember are my dad's favorites. He used to listen to Gipsy Kings all the time, so when we got in the car, we'd listen to songs like this on cassette:

Spoiler

Their cover of Volare is still probably my favorite cover of all time.

Then there was Bocelli.  This is one of my first memories of being touched by a song, even though I had no idea what it was about. :lol:

Spoiler

Dad also introduced me to "Click and Clack," my first exposure to cars and comedy duos.  Good times...

I actually wasn't really into music much in my "tweenage" years, but I do listen to a lot of music from that time now. That was late 60s to mid 70s, so bands like the Beatles, for example. I like the "mixtape" from The Guardians of the Galaxy, which is mostly from that era, too. I do listen to some later music as well (Queen, Bowie, for example). Never got into Michael Jackson's music. Nor most of the music from the 90s on.

Way too many to name.

I've discovered a lot of my favorite artists eerily enough, while traveling.

But a few of the songs I still listen to to this day:

-Urbandub - Frailty (I discovered this band while in the Philippines. This definitely is my favorite song of theirs, but they're an insanely talented band). However this strikes me the most, as it introduced me to many other gems from that country's rock scene. Got to experience some insanely talented bands and shamefully slept on artists live, though. I'd be completely blown away at some of the artists singing in dive bars for free, with voices like Beyonce's O_o

It also reminds me of the moment I got pinched by the karaoke bug.

-Dredg - Zebra Skin (Loved this track the moment I heard it. Still do to this day). Brings me back to my teenage years, where I just loved grunge and punk rock the most. This is one of the many that have stood the test of time for me.

-Lacuna Coil - Heaven's a Lie. I still listen to this one, many years after hearing it for the first time.

-Live - Lakini's Juice. I don't think I'll ever hate this one, to be honest.

-Biffy Clyro - My Recovery Injection (Discovered this band while in Glasgow. Discovered many others, but this was my introduction to the many talented artists not only from that city, but from the UK in general). Reminds me of the many great bands I'd hear rocking out downtown Glasgow during my times there.

-Mars Volta - Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt. One of my friends introduced me to this band in high school. Definitely takes me back every time I hear it. I reminds me of the days of me skateboarding, and listening to punk rock and the like.

-Isis - Dulcinea (was introduced to this band by a girl I dated way back in the days, and never looked back). I used to hate death metal until I opened my mind to it, and found many gems from artists like this, and many others. Definitely glad I did. Still love blasting this one in my car. 

-Pete Rock - Take your Time. This one goes back to my late childhood. This was one of those tracks that got me into writing poetry, music production, playing piano and wanting to form a music band and grab the mic at parties. Just couldn't get the hook out of my mind. The only other hook that sticks to my mind like that, was Davina - So Good.

-Freaky Flow - Let me Know. I mean. This song introduced me to electronic music, in general. From jungle, to hard techno, to everything in between. It also reminds me of a time in my life, where I was spending a lot of time in studios creating as much music as possible and started looking at music from a technical standpoint. From that point, I'm hearing the break downs, the blends, the riffs the bass lines, the layers of a beat of any genre when I hear something on the radio.

Soooo many more.

@Perspektiv

Heaven's a Lie was one of the first female-fronted metal songs that I heard. As a result this sub-genre (EDIT: or rather aestethics?) has been a huge chunk of what I've been listening for years.

@andreas1033

Yeah, I like to binge listen to '90s tracks too :)

@SpACEd Out @Euna

Some of my early favourites were the Polish bands from '60s and '70s that my mother enjoyed. My father's taste in music was closer to what I listen to now, though.

I mostly listened (and still listen) to music my father played, for example Ticket To The Moon by Electric Light Orchestra.

Spoiler

But not just that song, ELO's entire Time album basically (which is pretty damn good, though quite melancholic) was a companion during my childhood days. My brother and I both listened to the tape back then, watching it spin, and our father used to play it in car. Unfortunately it's gone and I'm looking for a new (original and well-kept) Time tape... which is much more difficult than I initially expected. :lol:

I still listen to Nickelback unironically, Three Days Grace, and Breaking Benjamin, as well as lot of different bands from the 80's like Aerosmith and Van Halen courtesy of my dad.  I still hold a soft spot for Shania Twain from my mom, it's a bit of a guilty pleasure :P  

SpaceDustbin
30 minutes ago, vmdraco said:

I still hold a soft spot for Shania Twain from my mom, it's a bit of a guilty pleasure :P 

Same here :lol: my mom had the "Come On Over" CD, and we listened to it so often in the car. 

That don't impress me much is still one of the best songs ever :lol:

3 hours ago, SpaceDustbin said:

Same here :lol: my mom had the "Come On Over" CD, and we listened to it so often in the car. 

That don't impress me much is still one of the best songs ever :lol:

GOD SAME *high five*

Spoiler

SorryNotSorry

I grew up listening to late 1950s through early 70s on oldies radio stations. I gravitated toward the pop instrumentals of the early 60s and psychedelic rock of the late 60s, and those were what I started collecting on cassettes in high school. CD players were just coming out then, and it seemed like the only people who had them were a few rich college kids who could afford them.

StupidDream

Still listen to a lot of the bands I grew up with and also teenage year bands. Basically my mums awesome music taste got passed on to me (awesome might be a matter of opinion). But 25+ years later I'm still listening to Genesis (Gabriel era), Yes, Tull, Camel, Deep Purple and loads of other 70s bands.  There's a liberal amount of contemporary prog rock and metal as well in my listening range, but I still enjoy Jethro Tull's "songs from the wood" every bit as much as when I was 6 years old and my mum had the vinyl on!!!

Grumpy Alien

I don’t really listen to music but I prefer new stuff. The music from my childhood just sounds horribly dated and generally remind me of bad times.

RoseGoesToYale

Almost all of it. The songs that stick out to me are:

The Buggles- Video Killed the Radio Star

Frank Mills- Music Box Dancer

The Carpenters- Sing "A Song"

The Beatles- Goodnight (and pretty much anything else by the Beatles)

Breathe- Hands to Heaven

Richard Marx- Right Here Waiting

Percy Faith- Theme From A Summer Place

WobblyWallaby

I was teased so much as a kid because I didn't listen to modern music.

I love the Beatles but I also listened to They Might Be Giants, Cat Stevens, ABBA, Joan Baez, and Joni Mitchell.

1 hour ago, WobblyWallaby said:

I was teased so much as a kid because I didn't listen to modern music.

I love the Beatles but I also listened to They Might Be Giants, Cat Stevens, ABBA, Joan Baez, and Joni Mitchell.

I used to get teased for my musical tastes as a kid, too. So much so that I hid my musical interests for most of my teen/pre-teen years, and didn't really listen to much of anything. Then an adult who was very musically talented and knew and liked some of the popular music (among other musical genres) encouraged me and supported my interests, and I was able to embrace what I liked (which included classical music among other stuff). :) 

Great thread! I definitely still listen to a LOT of the same artists as I did more than a decade ago. As they say, good music doesn't have an expiration date!

I love a nostalgia trip (and always enjoy reading about other people's memories of certain unearthed gems) but more than anything, their music is a constant comfort to me. So, I think it's important to embrace your music taste and never feel shame in listening to songs others feel best alloted and left to a certain age or era. 

I still listen to loads of "90s" alt-rock (Veruca Salt, Skunk Anansie, Ash, Rachel Stamp), electronica (Curve), metal and "indie" bands... Riot Grrrl (Bikini Kill, Sleater-Kinney)... musicians who were really prevalent in prior decades but are still at the top of their game today (PJ Harvey, Nick Cave, The Breeders) etc. Fortunately for me, most of those aforementioned acts are still making music or have recently come off of a hiatus. :D

Archived