help me understand what is going on

I was having a discusion about types of love and how that relates to asexuals as types of attraction with anon person, but they are getting really worked up and I don't understand what is the problem. So maybe you can help me understand a little better if you have any idea what they are talking about.

My claim responding a question about> how does a non-binary person calls their attraction to an exclusive male or female gender if they don't want to disclose their gender?:

"For sexual attraction:

Androsexual - andro (masculine) sexual (sexually attracted to) Gynesexual - gyne (feminine) sexual (sexually attracted to)

For asexual attraction:

Androphilic - andro (masculine) philia (attracted to, likeness towards, preference towards) Gynephilic - gyne (feminine) philia (attracted to, likeness towards, preference towards)

They are pre-existing words derived from Greek etymology like gynecology (study of women), or android (man shaped/man form). If the other person knows basic Greek etymology they will need no explanation. Neither denotes the a pre-existing knowledge of the person's gender, just state their preference.

I use androphilic for my preferences or "androfilique" in Spanish."

Their claim is this specifically:

"the thing about aces is we don't experience that kind of attraction. i think you mean romantic attraction. asexual attraction isn't a thing.

asexual attraction isn't a thing because asexuality is literally defined by NOT FEELING attraction. it's either called romantic attraction, emotional attraction, aesthetic attraction etc. defining attraction by not being sexual is fucking disgusting and allonormative."

Can someone help me translate. Thanks ☺

Did you accidentally say 'asexual attraction' instead of 'sexual attraction' in something you said? They're right in that asexual attraction isn't a thing, though they seem very aggressive about it! I'm not sure why they didn't just realise you meant sexual attraction and why they reacted so strongly, though... Asexual attraction doesn't make much sense but it's not offensive or anything?

What were you trying to communicate to them? I'm at a bit of a loss without knowing what you're trying to tell them.

in all seriousness, it sounds like they're misusing one of the terms they're arguing about because this makes no sense. (asking seriously) is this person a native english speaker?

2 minutes ago, Claire1983 said:

in all seriousness, it sounds like they're misusing one of the terms they're arguing about because this makes no sense. (asking seriously) is this person a native english speaker?

i have no idea but i would assume they are.

5 minutes ago, Baam said:

Did you accidentally say 'asexual attraction' instead of 'sexual attraction' in something you said? They're right in that asexual attraction isn't a thing, though they seem very aggressive about it! I'm not sure why they didn't just realise you meant sexual attraction and why they reacted so strongly, though... Asexual attraction doesn't make much sense but it's not offensive or anything?

What were you trying to communicate to them? I'm at a bit of a loss without knowing what you're trying to tell them.

No, i don't think so. Unless it's right there in the paragraph i presented here and i haven't realize.

I responded to this question> quote  "I know I look like a girl, but I've never felt like I identified with my assigned gender and I'm almost exclusively attracted to women/femme people"

that's it

24 minutes ago, Baam said:

Did you accidentally say 'asexual attraction' instead of 'sexual attraction' in something you said?

30 minutes ago, Zacharie said:

For sexual attraction:

Androsexual - andro (masculine) sexual (sexually attracted to) Gynesexual - gyne (feminine) sexual (sexually attracted to)

For asexual attraction:

Androphilic - andro (masculine) philia (attracted to, likeness towards, preference towards) Gynephilic - gyne (feminine) philia (attracted to, likeness towards, preference towards)

They are pre-existing words derived from Greek etymology like gynecology (study of women), or android (man shaped/man form). If the other person knows basic Greek etymology they will need no explanation. Neither denotes the a pre-existing knowledge of the person's gender, just state their preference.

I use androphilic for my preferences or "androfilique" in Spanish."

Edit: Added bolding for emphasis

....Ok, I think I get it.

I think they're assuming you believe there are only two kinds of attraction: "Sexual attraction", and "Asexual attraction" which collectively covers everything not to do with sex. I believe that their position is that this idea of "Asexual Attraction" is an affront to them, as it is framing asexuality in the context of comparison with sexual attraction. Whereas things like romantic attraction, aesthetic attraction etc are really all their own separate, distinct things.

I may be wrong. I'm also failing massively at explaining myself.

34 minutes ago, ReyGraves said:

OH! well you look at that XD

I'm actually native spanish speaker so in my logic I probably just wrote what I though it would be the opposite of "sexual attraction" (since the term "sexual attraction" is an actual thing and an accepted term) without even realizing and no one was to told me my gramatical mistake (or probably no one actually realized).

mystery solved i suppose.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, ReyGraves said:

what do you think could be a better option so I don't repeat the same word mistake?

You could list out the other attractions.

Or just say “non-sexual”. This would exclude sexual attraction while at the same time including the others.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, ReyGraves said:

You could list out the other attractions.

Or just say “non-sexual”. This would exclude sexual attraction while at the same time including the others.

Sounds about right. Many thanks ;)

• Like 1