Best Animal as a pet :)

LRCareBear

Best animal as a pet :)  

60 members have voted

1. 1. What animal makes the best pet? You can only choose ONE!

• Cat
    • Dog
    • Rodent
    • Rabbit
    • Reptile
    • Fish
    • Bird
    • Other

blunose2772

A dog. I used to have a wiener dog and she was the only thing I could honestly say I loved. 

NickyTannock

I would say a Hedgehog.

I have one in my garden that I feed every night.

It comes right up to me, and become my unofficial pet.

Believe it or not the snake, the Sand Boa is often called a noodle, and yes they are pretty cool pets lol ;)

People trash on cats, but I think they can be really good companions. Definitely best pets for me. :3

Dogs. Or... just... anything that's not a cat.  

43 minutes ago, Polygon said:

Spoiler

flat,800x800,075,f.u1.jpg

2 hours ago, Polygon said:

😭 my cats are so kind, empathetic, sympathetic, funny, and have such great personalities, why hate on all cats!?

I have a parakeet and they are super cute companions but can be pretty difficult to train. So they are very easy pets to take care of but they aren't necessarily the BEST unless you just enjoy hearing the chirping and watching them play with toys in their cage the whole time. I've always wanted a cat though so I would say that they are the best pets.

I clicked dog but now I feel like I've betrayed my beloved cockatiel, I don't even have a dog. Why couldn't I click both *sigh*

Grumpy Alien

I can’t choose between cat or dog D:

NickyTannock

@Graceful if you choose Dog, that will nearly even out the results.

Cat has two more votes than Dog right now.

2 hours ago, Zenzencat104 said:

😭 my cats are so kind, empathetic, sympathetic, funny, and have such great personalities, why hate on all cats!?

I'm just teasing because I know AVEN loves cats. :P

SpaceDustbin

It's a tie between cats and rabbits, but voted for rabbits because I can :lol: Honestly there's no way I can choose between the two. They're all to cute and cuddly

StupidDream

Dogs are great, but I think too many people get a dog without giving them enough attention, walking time and care. As someone who worked at a rescue centre for dogs I know what I'm talking about here because we would get all the broken neglected dogs that people couldnt be bothered to care for.

Some breeds are utterly ridiculous as a companion animal, like people having huskies or sheepdogs while living in the middle of a city and never taking them for long walks.... Don't get me wrong, sheepdogs are brilliant dogs, but unless you are prepared to walk them a couple of hours a day and stimulate them they'll show you their destructive side soon enough!!!

Anyway! Best animal I think is the dog, but actually I would say fancy rats are wonderful companion animals. I owned rats for several years and they are extremely intelligent, loyal (yes seriously) and a joy to look after. They need quite a bit of species specific care like all animals, but they make good companion animal choices.

For total ease of care nothing beats a cat though.....!  If you think "I'd like a pet but don't have much time" get a cat. They still need caring for etc but they are very self sufficient!

Grumpy Alien
2 hours ago, StupidDream said:

Dogs are great, but I think too many people get a dog without giving them enough attention, walking time and care. As someone who worked at a rescue centre for dogs I know what I'm talking about here because we would get all the broken neglected dogs that people couldnt be bothered to care for.

Some breeds are utterly ridiculous as a companion animal, like people having huskies or sheepdogs while living in the middle of a city and never taking them for long walks.... Don't get me wrong, sheepdogs are brilliant dogs, but unless you are prepared to walk them a couple of hours a day and stimulate them they'll show you their destructive side soon enough!!!

Anyway! Best animal I think is the dog, but actually I would say fancy rats are wonderful companion animals. I owned rats for several years and they are extremely intelligent, loyal (yes seriously) and a joy to look after. They need quite a bit of species specific care like all animals, but they make good companion animal choices.

For total ease of care nothing beats a cat though.....!  If you think "I'd like a pet but don't have much time" get a cat. They still need caring for etc but they are very self sufficient!

This is why I can’t pick just one animal! So many pets are wonderful and I love them for different reasons. Well other than being cute.

StupidDream

Haha yep... There are many many amazing animals out there all with their different personalities and characteristics!  Rats and small animals tend to be overlooked but actually they make brilliant companions - you just have to be prepared for a lot of heart break as rodents particularly have short lives.

Neutral nerd

Rats are so adorable... :redface: I'm not particularly social but I got a pair of rats who were just awesome. I think there's a bunch of unreasonable bias against them, when having a couple cuddle friends makes your day, every day. They died a couple years ago and I fondly remember having them, but they made me itch so I don't think getting more would work anytime soon. 

On a side note, it also kind of terrifying. I got pantry moths in my room cause I stored the food in the closet, and I wasn't comfortable for weeks/months after that. Pets are a risk I'm glad I took. Now that I'm busier I wouldn't choose to do it, the memories are enough for me 0u0

Really it depends on the person, but of course, that's not much of an answer. For me it's a cat. I prefer fairly intelligent pets that live a reasonably long time which I can interact with a lot, and I'm terrified of dogs (I think they'd probably be a bit clingy anyhow). I do like rats and hamsters, though, and I've always thought that lizards and snakes are cool.

On 3/25/2018 at 12:42 PM, StupidDream said:

While I'm sure this is true compared to dogs, it also varies a lot on the cat. Some cats need a lot more attention than others, and they can get very unhappy if left alone for a whole day or so. If you really don't want to have to do much with an animal, keep fish.

*Susie and Sheeba have stolen this phone *

Cats like having a pet hoomin to answer our every beck and call, keep us fed and watered, and all we have to do is purr occasionally when they tickle us :P:P

I love my 2 cats but would like to push the boat out and get a more exotic pet

I want a dog so badly, but I think that a cat is more suited to my lifestyle. 

Says the guinea pig: "Everyone keeps talking about cats, and I'm just sitting here smelling the flowers."

See the source image 

I love my dogs, but my guinea pigs take the trophy. 

Peaceful, cuddly, personable, great companion couch potatoes, they purr like motor boats and squeak like pigs, and they even share my veggies with me. :3

Archived