How do you know if you're trans?

Ivory__

Solved on my part, feel free to add on to the topic and share your experiences ^_^:cake:

Celyn: The Lutening

Do you think "these people are the same gender as me" when around guys? Or more when you see non-binary people?

For some actual practical help - feel free to buy more masculine styled stuff from the womens' section. Like button-up shirts and corduroy trousers. No-one can give you a hard time then. If they pull some transphobic nonsense, just say you're not (regardless of what you decide, your safety is prime) and this is just your style.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk some more :) :cake: Good luck figuring things out and letting your real self shine.

4 minutes ago, Celyn said:

Do you think "these people are the same gender as me" when around guys? Or more when you see non-binary people?

For some actual practical help - feel free to buy more masculine styled stuff from the womens' section. Like button-up shirts and corduroy trousers. No-one can give you a hard time then. If they pull some transphobic nonsense, just say you're not (regardless of what you decide, your safety is prime) and this is just your style.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk some more :) :cake: Good luck figuring things out and letting your real self shine.

I'm not really sure, to be honest - I can see both sides to an extent. Thank you so much for the advice, I'll try doing that the next time I go out. I might do that at some point :)

lavender.who

Hey, as I was reading I thought maybe you leaned towards non-binary. Though that my personal opinion and only you can decide how you are. I suggest that you explore the possibility and maybe look at so different orientations other than just transmasculine. 

As for, "Does this make me happy," it can be hard to know. Try small and go from there. I couldn't tell if I was admiring or wanting. So I did small things and once I worked up to a big one, and did it, I then understood the feeling. It's a hard long road but it leads to happiness.

I am going to say once again ONLY YOU CAN SAY HOW YOU ARE. It's as simple and as complicated as that. I know that's daunting. If you want it, I am here to talk

Quintus Crinis

Thank you for this thread. I don't have any answers unfortunately - but that's largely because I've long questioned the same of myself (although I'd be MtF).

I often find myself wishing I'd been born female as well as noticing the female body and wishing I looked like that (part of me worries though that this makes me seem like a creep to said women and makes the change of finding friends I'd feel comfortable around more difficult).
I also find talking to women more comfortable than talking to men and have to buy some dresses/make up for myself. In fact I used the excuse of a dance show at uni (I've done tap for years) to buy quite a bit of makeup and enjoyed trying it on (unfortunately a few years ago now).
Appearence wise, although I have a beard from not bothering to shave at uni for a while. I started growing my hair out over a decade ago and really like having it long (although it's stopped at the middle of my back and seems much thinner than it was).

The thing that's stopped me identifying as trans though is that athough I've thought of getting "castrated" a few times (especially in my early/mid teens), I've always been scared of making big changes and not convinced myself to go through with a full transition. Plus I'm still stuck living with parents and brother who are very traditional and would probably not accept me making  a transition - they barely acknowledge my asexuality.

Sorry if this post doesn't help you particularly, but I had been wondering how to start this sort of thread for a while and at least we know we aren't the only ones?

Ms. Carolynne

@Quintus Crinis I feel similarly, at least sometimes.

There seems to be some sort of fluidity or flux to my gender identity, but I definitely do sometimes wish I was born female, and find myself envying the female form, and imagining myself as female at times.

Actually, it's these thoughts that got me questioning, as they've been getting stronger, and have been causing dysphoria. They've become intrusive in a sense.

But it's odd. These feelings come and go. Sometimes I feel comfortable as male, and others I associate more as agendered than anything. I feel I'm a bigendered flux, or perhaps agenderfluid. But then again, maybe that's just how I'm interpreting all this. This is all very confusing.

My orientation was a cakewalk, everything clicked together. This? I'm all over the place, and seemingly new things are surfacing, or at least have gone unnoticed.

On another note, I have early onset male pattern baldness, unfortunately. It bugs me, because now I can't have really nice hair as I used to. You brought up growing out your hair, it's something that I'm upset I can't really pull off anymore. I feel it'd be comforting to have, but is no longer an option.

@cheymello I found your mention of the girl passing as male relatable.

A user on these forums posted some pictures of herself, and she is rather passable. One would have to really scrutinize to notice she was AMAB.

I personally feel I couldn't pass as much else but male.

I do find this thread very relatable. Personally, my ideal would be the magical ability to shapeshift to whatever bodily sex I wanted, or anywhere in between. Anyone else fantasise about that?

2 hours ago, Celyn said:

I do find this thread very relatable. Personally, my ideal would be the magical ability to shapeshift to whatever bodily sex I wanted, or anywhere in between. Anyone else fantasise about that?

Who does not?

12 hours ago, lavender.who said:

Hey, as I was reading I thought maybe you leaned towards non-binary. Though that my personal opinion and only you can decide how you are. I suggest that you explore the possibility and maybe look at so different orientations other than just transmasculine. 

As for, "Does this make me happy," it can be hard to know. Try small and go from there. I couldn't tell if I was admiring or wanting. So I did small things and once I worked up to a big one, and did it, I then understood the feeling. It's a hard long road but it leads to happiness.

I am going to say once again ONLY YOU CAN SAY HOW YOU ARE. It's as simple and as complicated as that. I know that's daunting. If you want it, I am here to talk

Thanks for that, I wasn't aware there were more transmasculine identities if that's the case so I'll look it up. I'll definitely have to explore more - it is kind of intimidating in a way but hopefully it'll get easier and thank you so much

10 hours ago, Bloc said:

Who does not?

One of the big clues that I was nonbinary was when I would talk about that fantasy to cis friends and they would look at me strangely and say "I never thought about that" or "I read/watched a sci-fi/fantasy with people who could do that, weird but I wouldn't want to." And my reaction was :blink: Say whaaat now? I thought that I was totally normal and everyone wanted that.

I'm not sure if I can reply to everyone at once but I'll write this here anyway, thank you all for the help and advice and I feel like I identify with non-binary but I was just scared of admitting it at first as there are some really mean people out there, but now it feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders :) Really, thank you all so much.  I think that might be why I didn't feel entirely comfortable with being 'female' as well but I liked the idea of being male but also couldn't entirely relate to that side, if that makes sense. I hope you all have a lovely day!

butterflyaway
On 3/22/2018 at 7:21 PM, Celyn said:

One of the big clues that I was nonbinary was when I would talk about that fantasy to cis friends and they would look at me strangely and say "I never thought about that" or "I read/watched a sci-fi/fantasy with people who could do that, weird but I wouldn't want to." And my reaction was :blink: Say whaaat now? I thought that I was totally normal and everyone wanted that.

Whaat??? That's so weird I was just reading through and I honestly thought that was a normal thing up until right now

Janus the Fox

As wide as the Trans umbrella is, I know I'm trans simply because I'm often gender opposite from my sex.

Off the related "what made you realise you're trans" thread - "If you've spent months thinking about and researching your gender identity, you're not cis."

PixleyDust✨
On 3/22/2018 at 5:34 AM, G1P0 said:

My orientation was a cakewalk, everything clicked together. This? I'm all over the place, and seemingly new things are surfacing, or at least have gone unnoticed.

God do I freaking relate to this. Asexual? Makes sense, traceable to childhood, fits like a glove. BOOM. PRINT. DONE.

But my gender? Thought I was cis for the most part, just tomboyish. Loved dresses, hated dresses, then indifferent to dresses. Hated makeup, loved makeup, then indifferent to makeup. Brief phase where I was freaking out at the thought of being trans, but now I’m identifying as a genderfluid AFAB, and I feel comfortable going out in public as male sometimes when I get the urge, but then there are times the thought of doing so scares and embarrasses me, especially when I’m going to be around close friends and/or family.

DAMN BRAIN, CAN’T HIT A MOVING TARGET. Sheesh. 🙄

On 3/22/2018 at 5:34 AM, G1P0 said:

On another note, I have early onset male pattern baldness, unfortunately. It bugs me, because now I can't have really nice hair as I used to. You brought up growing out your hair, it's something that I'm upset I can't really pull off anymore. I feel it'd be comforting to have, but is no longer an option.

Have you considered looking into getting a woman’s wig for those days? Or would that feel too weird, or like, too huge a step or something?

PixleyDust✨
1 hour ago, Celyn said:

Off the related "what made you realise you're trans" thread - "If you've spent months thinking about and researching your gender identity, you're not cis."

Good point. That’s the thought I usually come back to when I’m in a downward questioning spiral.

@Celyn I have that fantasy ALL THE FREAKING TIME. SINCE ADOLESCENCE ACTUALLY. Ugh, if only. 😔

23 minutes ago, Pixley said:

God do I freaking relate to this. Asexual? Makes sense, traceable to childhood, fits like a glove. BOOM. PRINT. DONE.

I personally still had kind of a hard time figuring out/accepting my oriention. Both (lacking) sexual and romanticism. But I came to terms with that sooner than my gender.

I had identified as non-binary or something under the umbrella for a LONG time (like, about 2 years or so), until eventually identifying as both trans an non-binary (for about another year or two). Now I’m feeling comfortable just being a binary trans guy, who just so happens to have a fairly even blend of masculinity and femininity.

Anyway, how did I figure out I was trans? Well, I used fo think I was cis, but only because that’s how everyone treated me and that’s what I must be, right? But I knew I never felt like a girl and was more like a tomboy. I wanted to be one of the guys. And what’s funny is that even when I was younger, I felt I wasn’t “boyish enough” just as I had felt I wasn’t “trans enough”. I didn’t fit the ideal image of a guy. Though I had come to realize that there’s even many cis-men who don’t fit the ideal image of a guy, and cis-women not fitting the ideal image of a woman.

So yeah, that’s how I knew. After doing some reflecting upon myself and thinking more critically rather than black and white. Exploring myself also helped a lot, because I used to think I wasn’t “allowed” to do some things, but now it just feels amazing! 

PixleyDust✨
29 minutes ago, SkyWorld said:

I personally still had kind of a hard time figuring out/accepting my oriention. Both (lacking) sexual and romanticism. But I came to terms with that sooner than my gender.

Same, and I can (and do) still struggle with my orientation from time to time. 

I just meant that, when compared to trying to understand my gender identity (which I’m still questioning), my grey asexuality/aromanticism was a piece of cake.

Pun PROUDLY intended. :cake:

ElasticPlanet

Same here: took much longer to work out my (a)gender than my (ace) orientation. The gender came in layers too - some parts of it much easier to see than others. My social gender (how I need people to categorise and think of me) made sense first and is still the most important part of all this. Even as I try out more femme things in my  presentation, my label that I chose on the basis of social gender, still seems to override that. Your mileage may vary.

Ms. Carolynne
On 3/27/2018 at 1:02 AM, Pixley said:

Have you considered looking into getting a woman’s wig for those days? Or would that feel too weird, or like, too huge a step or something?

I have thought of doing something like that, but I think it would stand out too much that I was wearing a wig, at least around people that know me and see me frequently.

Plus I live with family currently, so I feel anything feminine I'd like to do needs to be low key.

I feel a bit restricted in what I can do that won't embarrass myself, or otherwise be off putting for others.

Although somewhat feminine hair wouldn't be anything new for me, a woman's wig might be questionable to don.

On 22.3.2018 at 10:36 AM, DevinMello said:

Sure, I'd like having short hair, but I'm also somewhat okay with my long hair and I could live how I am now. Maybe it's out of familiarity, I dunno. When I went to my school formal I felt odd in a dress with makeup and my hair out. I also love guys clothes but I can't get them so I can't even check to see if I'd be happier or not wearing them. I get uncomfortable for not being feminine enough but these feelings kind of fluctuate which is a bit of a problem for me.

Ok, first of: Short or long hair doesn't mean you are a boy or girl, it is just a preference. Boys can have long hair. Girls can have short hair. Girls don't have to wear dresses, long hair and make-up at all or in any point in their lives if they don't like it. Men can wear dresses, put on make-up. There are plenty of girls who are not stereotypically feminine. Google "tomboys", "butches".

Just a few minutes ago I saw these two guys doing a dance cover and I found out that one of them was actually a girl and it just kind of triggered something inside me for some reason. She passes even though she isn't a man, maybe I thought that could be me, I have no idea. Maybe I had a flash of jealousy.

See? Women and girls can look masculine, not feminine and still are girls or women.

I hate the idea of being a submissive person or being singled out as a girl. I feel weird about boy/girl segregation and at one point got happy when my brother called me handsome as a joke and one of my friends has been jokingly calling me a tranny too for expressing my annoyance towards my dad saying "I don't think that's a girl shirt, why don't you get blah blah". I also hate the idea of pregnancy and childbirth.

If you hate the ide of being submissive, then don't be submissive. Submission doesn't make you or anybody a woman or girl. That's a harmful streotype. Women and girls can be anything. If you haven't seen women and girls who are active and energetic, then be a role-model yoursel and be what you want to be, i.e. not submissive.

Segregation is not cool. But it doesn't have anything to do with girls and women. They didn't choose to be singled out. FIght against discrimination. Be a role-model. 

Many, many women hate the idea of pregnancy and childbirth. Maybe half of them. It's a mayor change in a woman's body. Why would you want that? There are women who don't want to have children because of it or rather adopt. That is not indicative of being a man or boy.

I remember years ago in year 9 (I think?) I was the only girl in a group of guys and they had gym sessions every once in a while but the science teacher never let me join and made me sit outside by myself - I was only allowed with the girls, but there was no girls gym. I didn't really like being around them as guys seem 'realer' and sometimes more comfortable to be around. I was kind of annoyed and embarrassed because of that. 

Well, how can you be comfortable in a gym with girl if there are no girls in the gym to begin with?

I felt like that, too. But that doesn't make you a boy either.

Just be yourself. And being a girl is tough. Be a role-model. Show girls they can be anything. 

@Angelnoir Thank you for adding that, I didn't see beforehand how much I stereotyped things and I realize I could've worded everything a lot better. I've never been good at coming up with reasons for how and why I feel the way I do about certain things. Changing clothes and "aesthetics" isn't entirely why I've been questioning myself, though that's all I wrote here - you could be right. Maybe I am just confused and making a big deal out of something I don't need to, I don't know. That's why I was asking here.

Ok, first of: Short or long hair doesn't mean you are a boy or girl, it is just a preference. Boys can have long hair. Girls can have short hair. Girls don't have to wear dresses, long hair and make-up at all or in any point in their lives if they don't like it. Men can wear dresses, put on make-up. There are plenty of girls who are not stereotypically feminine. Google "tomboys", "butches".

Correct, but in terms of passing conforming to certain gender roles or expectations will help you appear to others as what you feel as you are - which isn't exactly fair, but it happens. "Tomboys" from what I've seen are labelled as having an interest in things typically led by boys? That's hard to wrap my head around because I'm not going out of my way to copy their mannerisms or have a interest in most of their 'typical' activities. I feel like they're more of a boy-ish 'stereotype' ( not sure how else to word it, sorry if that appeared rude ) than anything. I still have neutral qualities and I do too much art to notice if I have an interest in much else (lol). For others, sure, that label might fit them, though it doesn't feel right for me.

See? Women and girls can look masculine, not feminine and still are girls or women.

Again you're right, but I wasn't trying to make a point against that and I apologize if it appeared that way.

If you hate the ide of being submissive, then don't be submissive. Submission doesn't make you or anybody a woman or girl. That's a harmful streotype. Women and girls can be anything. If you haven't seen women and girls who are active and energetic, then be a role-model yoursel and be what you want to be, i.e. not submissive.

Segregation is not cool. But it doesn't have anything to do with girls and women. They didn't choose to be singled out. FIght against discrimination. Be a role-model. 

Many, many women hate the idea of pregnancy and childbirth. Maybe half of them. It's a mayor change in a woman's body. Why would you want that? There are women who don't want to have children because of it or rather adopt. That is not indicative of being a man or boy.

It's more of the societal pressure to be submissive and my wants and needs being overruled because of it. Physical activity doesn't have a direct link to masculinity and it's accepted by everyone. Women are accepted, but I can't even really relate to most of their experiences. It's not that easy fighting against segregation when you're the only one willing to do it - it's in the form of girls vs boys games, sport groups, bathrooms, bedrooms and wherever else I can't remember at the moment. I don't just hate the idea of childbirth, I'm positive if I ever began to create a life with my own body I might not actually be able to go through with living ( as dramatic as it sounds, the thought of it absolutely disgusts me ). I hate how I have a uterus. Not because of cramps... because I don't get those, but I hate knowing my body is capable of doing the things it can because it's not me and I don't want it. I've wished to never fall to 'it' since I was young and still hated it as much as I do now and I've had silly nightmares about it before. So no, it's not the change in my body I hate, I couldn't care less about the pain or implications of what it meant. I just can't do with having the ability to do it. If that still sounds the same to you then that's fine but to me it seems people avoid it for different reasons. 

Some women can't get rid of their uterus when they have significant problems stemming from it because "they'll want kids" ( when some can barely go through the day from pain in rare cases ) which bothers me. If I could I would get rid of mine, but it's not that easy. There's too much pressure to settle down but that's, again, not limited to women. I would adopt because I'd be okay with that as long as they weren't born from me. Of course not wanting to give birth isn't an indicator of being a man/boy.

Well, how can you be comfortable in a gym with girl if there are no girls in the gym to begin with?

I felt like that, too. But that doesn't make you a boy either.

Just be yourself. And being a girl is tough. Be a role-model. Show girls they can be anything. 

You misunderstand - there was no girls gym, so I wasn't allowed to go to gym in general because I was perceived as a girl and would "only be there to distract and didn't belong with the guys, was probably uncomfortable etc. etc.". I felt like that wasn't right because I just wanted to go with my friends who didn't see me any differently and I felt like I belonged somewhat, but then that kind of smashed my resolve. This was more of a segregation thing I didn't like which made me really upset at the time. I see it didn't contribute much, though.

The thing is, I understand that last line is meant to be uplifting but I still feel that disconnect. Being a girl is tough. So is being a guy, or anything. Someone might feel uncomfortable if they ask for advice when they're questioning to be labelled in the end - it can feel like their feelings are being disregarded. Just for future reference in case, but thank you for being respectful and offering your viewpoint. :)

PixleyDust✨
On 3/29/2018 at 5:30 AM, G1P0 said:

I have thought of doing something like that, but I think it would stand out too much that I was wearing a wig, at least around people that know me and see me frequently.

Plus I live with family currently, so I feel anything feminine I'd like to do needs to be low key.

I feel a bit restricted in what I can do that won't embarrass myself, or otherwise be off putting for others.

Although somewhat feminine hair wouldn't be anything new for me, a woman's wig might be questionable to don.

I totally get it. I live with my family too, and my Mom actually got a little suspicious the other day. She asked me that since I wasn’t wearing makeup AT ALL, was wearing a tie, and styling my hair short if there was something I needed to tell her, in a jokey but obviously uncomfortable kind of way.

I just said NOPE. I am whatever I want to be. 🙃

Probably should have just told her I was genderfluid, and was just being more open about physically expressing my masculine side, but we were on my way to my older brother’s birthday dinner and I didn’t want to get into a long, kind of embarrassing and personal discussion of NO MOM, IT’S NOT THE SAME THING AS TRANS. I PROMISE. 🤣

Although, I posted I was asexual AND genderfluid on Facebook for National Coming Out Day. Not my fault no one in my family Googles anything. 😆

So, yeah...I kind of stash my compression belt/binder. I don’t think anyone knows I have it either. And being socially anxious since the first grade, I understand the fear of making others uncomfortable/embarrassing yourself. That fear is REAL. 😳

But, I think it comes down to one thing,  which is something I’m starting to think about more often, and that’s what’s  more important in the long term:

Their comfort or yours? 

Plus, every birthday, whether it’s mine or someone else’s, forces me to notice  how fast life goes, and I just want to make sure mine’s a good one. 

PHEW. Long post is LONG.

Also, sorry if if that last part was a bit much. I’m pretty sure I have the flu right now, and being sick tends to make me a little...emotional. 🤣

On 31.3.2018 at 11:11 AM, _DEVIN_ said:

@Angelnoir 

It's more of the societal pressure to be submissive and my wants and needs being overruled because of it. Physical activity doesn't have a direct link to masculinity and it's accepted by everyone. Women are accepted, but I can't even really relate to most of their experiences. It's not that easy fighting against segregation when you're the only one willing to do it - it's in the form of girls vs boys games, sport groups, bathrooms, bedrooms and wherever else I can't remember at the moment.

You are totally right. There is a societal pressure to be submissive if you appear as a girl. But that doesn't mean that submission equates with being a girl. And you are also right in saying you can't be the only one fighting against this type of stuff. And you shouldn't be burdened by it. 

Sometimes people did come together to fight segregation and stereotypes, first thinking they were alone. But I understand that is not everyone's duty or cup of tea or their struggle...etc.

I don't just hate the idea of childbirth, I'm positive if I ever began to create a life with my own body I might not actually be able to go through with living ( as dramatic as it sounds, the thought of it absolutely disgusts me ). I hate how I have a uterus. Not because of cramps... because I don't get those, but I hate knowing my body is capable of doing the things it can because it's not me and I don't want it. I've wished to never fall to 'it' since I was young and still hated it as much as I do now and I've had silly nightmares about it before. So no, it's not the change in my body I hate, I couldn't care less about the pain or implications of what it meant. I just can't do with having the ability to do it. If that still sounds the same to you then that's fine but to me it seems people avoid it for different reasons. 

I don't think it is the same reason. There are different reasons as you say. And I think there are a lot of women and girls who also share your viewpoint on not wanting to have anything to do with their uterus and its functions.

You misunderstand - there was no girls gym, so I wasn't allowed to go to gym in general because I was perceived as a girl and would "only be there to distract and didn't belong with the guys, was probably uncomfortable etc. etc.". I felt like that wasn't right because I just wanted to go with my friends who didn't see me any differently and I felt like I belonged somewhat, but then that kind of smashed my resolve. This was more of a segregation thing I didn't like which made me really upset at the time. I see it didn't contribute much, though.

I understand. That is truly a bad situation. I would have hated that.  

But that's not something natural, it's something social going on there, I mean, the segregation. 

The thing is, I understand that last line is meant to be uplifting but I still feel that disconnect. Being a girl is tough. So is being a guy, or anything. Someone might feel uncomfortable if they ask for advice when they're questioning to be labelled in the end - it can feel like their feelings are being disregarded. Just for future reference in case, but thank you for being respectful and offering your viewpoint. :)

I'm sorry. You are right. I didn't want to label you but then I did... 

What I was trying to say, and not talking about you personally, but about societies in general is that, as you say being a girl is tough and being a boy is tough in its own ways. But that doesn't mean girls or boys can try to make the situation better for themselves. It is not the natural order of things, whatever is happening. We are living in human societies, created by us and they can be changed by us. But again, I'm talking about generalities here. 

@Angelnoir You're very right with everything you've said and thank you so much for being respectful. At this point I'm mostly experimenting and for the past few days I've felt comfortable with the label. Experimenting is the only way I'll find out I suppose, but even if it doesn't work out my horizons will still be expanded. The whole gym thing was silly in itself but things happen and if you can't be resilient life will just be harder down the road.

I feel bad about the end bit, no need to be sorry. I understand it wasn't deliberate and I'm not 100% myself but I know there are people who might not take it as well. I just wanted to give a heads-up.

The whole "generalities" thing hit me deep. I forget that most concepts are a by-product of society's rules and/or are social constructs. We don't see squirrels using forks and spoons to eat everyday or animals fighting over coloured paper they can trade for food. Some human ideas seem unnecessary and toxic sometimes. I wish we could move away from the binary boxes we're put in without ridicule and it does seem we might be moving ( albeit slowly ) towards a future with less emphasis on these things. It'll hopefully lead to a lot less stress in the lives of people who don't necessarily conform to those ideas. :mellow:

43 minutes ago, _DEVIN_ said:

The whole "generalities" thing hit me deep. I forget that most concepts are a by-product of society's rules and/or are social constructs. We don't see squirrels using forks and spoons to eat everyday or animals fighting over coloured paper they can trade for food. Some human ideas seem unnecessary and toxic sometimes. I wish we could move away from the binary boxes we're put in without ridicule and it does seem we might be moving ( albeit slowly ) towards a future with less emphasis on these things. It'll hopefully lead to a lot less stress in the lives of people who don't necessarily conform to those ideas. :mellow:

Totally agree.

I hope it all goes well for you. :) 

Calligraphette_Coe

It was the only key that fit the lock. Then, when I realized I had the key and opened the closet door? Bars across the threshold in the form a medical anomaly. But at least they have internet here in the closet and I do break out now again  to be chameleon in the 3D world, but that protective coloring only works so well. So I have to be back in the closet for when the guards come around for bed check.

*Meep meep* , said the Roadrunner to Wily Coyote.

• 2 months later...

@yyy It would offer some interesting perspectives on the matter, that's for sure. I'm not sure where it could be posted if that's the case but it's a good idea.

Archived