AVEN Criticized by Asexuals in New Journal Article!

Pramana

33 minutes ago, Pramana said:

Realistically, most asexuals don't become that involved with AVEN, so I'm not surprised that most of the responses were either neutral (just used AVEN as a lurker) or negative (had issues with AVEN, and prefer Tumblr). It should also be kept in mind that the data for this research was collected around 2013-2014 during the height of the AVEN versus Tumblr controversy.

I wasn't around then, so maybe that's why people didn't think AVEN was as cool and awesome. 8)

Okay, but seriously, I echo a lot of the sentiment shared here re: Tumblr, lurkers, etc. Plus independent forums aren't everyone's jam. 

8 minutes ago, MichaelTannock said:

@sea-lemon You think the results would be in AVEN's favour, or at least equal?
I ask because that's what I'm wondering. 6-7 years is a long time.

I'm not 100% sure, but possibly. I think it would depend on who you asked - AVEN definitely still has a bad reputation among some circles on Tumblr, but then again I think Tumblr's reputation has gotten worse.

32 minutes ago, sea-lemon said:

I AVEN definitely still has a bad reputation among some circles on Tumblr, 

Make sense.  I doubt anyone would give it a second try so anyone who had a bad opinion years ago still has it.  

4 minutes ago, Claire1983 said:

Make sense.  I doubt anyone would give it a second try so anyone who had a bad opinion years ago still has it.  

The weird thing is, the most vocal anti-AVEN people I've seen are basing their opinions on posts made like 15 years ago!

I dunno if I can fairly comment as I have never been to Tumblr but I just wanted to say that I like AVEN.

WinterWanderer

I used Tumblr frequently, almost to the point of obsession, in like 2012-2013. But then it got too political for me. I was just there to enjoy my fandoms, not to read arguments about whether someone was being ableist or not, or whether someone could be considered trans-racial or not. :huh: It was a little too much for me.

So I can see how people's perceptions might've been more favorable toward Tumblr, if they were interviewed around the time I was on. It used to be a fun website with relatable humor. I'm sure parts of it are still like that.

14 minutes ago, Rynn said:

It used to be a fun website with relatable humor. I'm sure parts of it are still like that.

Some bits are great, but I think they're more difficult to find now everything's gotten more political. 

Divide By Zero

I first discovered AVEN in the early 2000s (yes, that long ago). I found the information presented was useful in helping me figure things out. However, I didn't stay around because I found that at the time it was rather exclusionary. A lot of people on AVEN at the time identified as gay, straight, or bi aces but I didn't feel like those labels applied to be since I'm not interested in dating and relationships (I'm aro, although that terminology wasn't around then). So I pretty much left AVEN and never participated, although I did occasionally stick my head in to see what was going on. In the past 5-10 years as romantic orientation has been identified and understood, there's been a shift on AVEN towards recognizing the different romantic orientations, including aromanticism, and now there's even a section for romantic / aromantic orientation and aro threads. As a result, I being to feel that AVEN was becoming more welcoming and inclusive so I started lurking more and after a while decided to rejoin.

EggplantWitch

I think Tumblr does have one main advantage over AVEN, which is that you can tailor your experience. On tumblr if I see someone going on about 'discourse' or being bigoted, I can unfollow them. That's it. I never have to think about them ever again. Negative shit about aces literally never crosses my dashboard and I follow over 250 people, a good 10% of them dedicated asexual blogs. Whereas on AVEN I have no choice but to risk sitting through the overinflated opinions of idiots if I want to consume any content on here at all - though I will say, it hasn't been often I've come across aggressive or unpleasant people here. (though surprise surprise - they were almost all allosexual)

7 hours ago, Just like Jughead said:

The article has very valid points about AVEN. 

Unfortunately this is the case for some, at least there are people who get a good environment here.

Guest Deus Ex Infinity
On 22.3.2018 at 4:58 PM, sea-lemon said:

I'm not 100% sure, but possibly. I think it would depend on who you asked - AVEN definitely still has a bad reputation among some circles on Tumblr, but then again I think Tumblr's reputation has gotten worse.

Same here. I've certainly experienced a raising amount of negative events on this site lately but it's just a persoal thing, nothing more. Besides, I wouldn't give a damn about tumbler or any other social network publishing or spreading opinions either. There's always good and bad stuff to be found on any forum.

You know what would be really nice, @Pramana? Links in all of your WW threads to these articles so that I can index them.

11 minutes ago, Pramana said:

There is a pre-print version of the paper available here: http://eprints.gla.ac.uk/155223/

Thank you. Now they can be indexed and archived at the end of the year, forever recorded in AVEN history :)

Archived