Same-sex marriages

Narly

Although I am an asexual aromantic and I am never planning to marry anyone myself, I think it is only fair for a woman to be able to marry the woman she loves and for a man to be able to marry the man he loves.

What is your attitude to same-sex marriages? In my country there is a campaign right now for same-sex marriages to be allowed, because until now we only had the possibility of registered partnership.

Today I went to one of the places where a petition can be signed and I signed it and.. it made me feel very happy that I'm trying to change something.

So presuming that you are an asexual or an romantic yourself, what about you? Would you sign that kind of a petition if you were living in a country where same-sex marriages aren't possible yet?

Comrade F&F

For me, I may not understand why, but who am I to judge? If they wish to pursue a happy, healthy relationship with their significant other, than why should they not be able to?

I would sign it, sure. The only valid argument I have heard against same-sex marriage is that 'marriage is a religious concept that should only involve a man and a woman'. And really, religion is a part of human culture, and cultures can change. How one interprets their religion is going to be different from another, and who's to decide which one is the right definition, and impose that decision on everyone else? That's just not right. 

100% yes, i would. while i do believe that the institution of marriage is flawed, and the importance bestowed on it by society is misplaced, i still believe that it should be accessible to all who want to participate in it, regardless of orientation.

22 hours ago, Feys&Florets said:

For me, I may not understand why, but who am I to judge? If they wish to pursue a happy, healthy relationship with their significant other, than why should they not be able to?

I would sign it, sure. The only valid argument I have heard against same-sex marriage is that 'marriage is a religious concept that should only involve a man and a woman'. And really, religion is a part of human culture, and cultures can change. How one interprets their religion is going to be different from another, and who's to decide which one is the right definition, and impose that decision on everyone else? That's just not right. 

The problem is that marriage is actually defined as a LEGAL concept, and at the same time it originated from religion, and separation of church and state is something I believe to be very important. In conclusion, instead of getting rid of the concept, it can just be modified to fit a legal context, if you have a constitution and it states that laws apply the same to everyone, then that should be the case. So from that interpretation, it violates many constitutions (some countries, ones that I don’t want to live in aren’t this way), so therefore the concept should be modified to be considered constitutional.

Pamalla-Shay

you do you.. as long as you are not truly hurting someone idc... live your life... love is love and that's how I see it.. I just see two people that love each other 

Moved from Questions about Asexuality to Philosophy, Politics and Science.

TheAP

Questions about Asexuality co-mod

If being married makes two people happy and since it doesn't hurt anyone, it just seems like an overall good thing to me.  I honestly can't think of any reason to object to it. 

4 hours ago, Narly said:

What is your attitude to same-sex marriages?

I think someone should be able to marry, regardless of their sexual orientation. I mean, with forced marriage still being an occurrence in the world I think people still being outraged at a gay couple in love with each other wanting to marry, need to update themselves into the post Y2K era.

To me it's simple. If one couple are allowed to, all couples must be allowed to. Anything else is discrimination 

13 hours ago, Feys&Florets said:

Also, I feel like it's WAY more of a societal concept rather than religious, at least in this present age. Especially with different taxation and things applying to married couples as opposed to single people. When the law affects married people differently in secular countries, I don't think you can consider marriage entirely religious anymore.

Besides, I'm pretty sure that the marriage was not originally religious in nature (at least in some places such as Europe). Options for less religious marriages are becoming more prevalent again now with humanist ceremonies and the like.

Absolutely agree that it's discriminatory not to allow it. In England though the church and state are still linked so, eg, same sex couples can't wed in  a Church of England church ( though some other churches allow it. I think that the Unitarian church does). Also, I think because of that church/ state link, adultery is not a ground for divorce in a same sex marriage though it is in a mixed sex marriage. So although here in England, theoretically same and mixed sex marriages are equal, they aren't quite.

Polyamorous marriages are permissible in Colombia. There was a test case last summer. Three lovely men - I saw a news snippet about them.

I'm for it, not least because one of my best friends is happily married to his lovely husband. It's kind of fun watching them interact, even over FB.

My golden rule. If it makes somebody happy, and nobody else is hurt in the process, then I don't much care what it is and I won't put a stop to it.

Only "issue" I have is that in some countries, marriage has perks, monetary and legal ones that were once founded on a traditional view of marriage. I'm for equal treatment. Either give the same perks to same sex couples, or remove the perks from regular sex couples. No exclusions or exceptions.

There have been many societies where marriage was not a religious institution -- so it did not originate with religion.  

Celyn: The Lutening

As you will probably heard, Australia recently made same-sex marriage legal after a referendum and my vote helped that happen! Yay!

I voted yes because I have gay and lesbian friends, and I want them to have the same rights to name spouse as next of kin, have financial arrangements as spouses, have each other as prime decision maker in cases of loss of agency (like comas) etc. etc. For me it's for the legal rights rather than anything wishy washy.

• 2 weeks later...
J. van Deijck

in my country same sex marriage are still illegal and it doesn't seem to get changed soon. my personal attitude, though, is very positive as I believe everyone should be allowed to marry the person they love, if they wish so. regardless of the genders of both.

On 24/03/2018 at 1:01 PM, Tunhope said:

ite.

Polyamorous marriages are permissible in Colombia. There was a test case last summer. Three lovely men - I saw a news snippet about them.

Sorry I got the terminology incorrect in my post above. A polyamorous union was deemed permissible but although the press called it marriage, it wasn't a marriage as is generally understood. It gave the men involved some legal rights though. 

Janus the Fox

Total support of it, no question about that., I'm also LGBT so I can only see the right of equal benefit of all.

i support it 100%. my religion isn't in favor of it, but i don't why it shouldn't be legal? they don't share my religious beliefs, so why should they be held by its rules?

Guest -NULL-
On 3/21/2018 at 2:10 PM, Narly said:

What is your attitude to same-sex marriages? In my country there is a campaign right now for same-sex marriages to be allowed, because until now we only had the possibility of registered partnership.

So presuming that you are an asexual or an romantic yourself, what about you? Would you sign that kind of a petition if you were living in a country where same-sex marriages aren't possible yet?

In my opinion, I have nothing against same-sex marriages; I am a proponent of the idea and believe that the notion should be enforced. I think that it is ever so important for people to be given to freedom to live as who they are and to love the people that they love. Everyone should have the liberty to pursue happiness; why should this statement exclude any part of the population? I am startled by how many people violently oppose same-sex marriage. If the existence of same-sex marriage will not directly impact your life in an adverse way, why would you breed so much hatred for a demographic of people? I suppose that a lack of understanding is what creates most of the fear and violence in this world. If people only took the time to learn to accept and understand other individuals, we would be on a much more positive trajectory as a species.

I would definitely sign a petition to grant people the right to love and express a mostly unanimous human emotion. As an asexual, like much of this community, I can relate to the minority status of the LGBT population. I believe that any attempt to instigate cultural progress to reach equality, especially the legalization of same-sex marriage, is the most important step to equality and understanding. We need to promote positive ideals so that our society can make changes over time. Our current logic is archaic and we need to meet the ideology of the twenty-first century.

I remember seeing a quote I think was on AVEN.

I'm potentially quoting it wrong, but was along the lines of: "I'm all for gay marriage. Everyone should be allowed to suffer, equally"

This of course, is in relation to the 3 rings of marriage (engagement ring, wedding ring, and of course--suffering).

Lord Jade Cross

First they allow the marriages, then they hijack the wallets through taxes. Because you just know the goverment will aim to cash in on this.

I support same-sex marriage although I question whether the government should just get out of the marriage business entirely. I don't think it's fair to single people that married people should receive preferential tax/legal benefits.

40 minutes ago, Pramana said:

I support same-sex marriage although I question whether the government should just get out of the marriage business entirely. I don't think it's fair to single people that married people should receive preferential tax/legal benefits.

Guess what, being married can sometimes be a disadvantage.

Lord Jade Cross
59 minutes ago, Pramana said:

The government being a part of the marriage business is not really new. You could call them governers, kings, momarchs, etc. They all cashed in on people, married or unmarried.

And marriage has both advantages as well as disadvantages. Sure they get a cut sometimes in taxes but have a partner with bad credit for instance and there goes your chances for a low rate mortage purchase. Get married and divorced, there go half your assets. Bad/abusive/neglectful marriage? and you cant apply for benefots as a single person. And so on

Archived