different ways of understanding yourself.

skepa

Hey another interesting point I think would be useful to discuss is the different ways people can figure out if they are or are not something.

word based:

sexual attraction is defined as the follows ...

experienced based:

would you rather have cake or sex?

picture based:

look at this picture, asexuals feel this way about it....

physical based:

John scrunches up his face when he takes a bite of something he doesn't like, therefore experiences disgust.

Is there other ones that I haven't mentioned? What do you guys think of the pros and cons of each of these methods? Maybe a combination of all types is better than just one or the other? let me know below! :)

Haha I love categorisation! :D I believe combinations are always better but it probably depends a lot on the nature of the person. I'm pretty down-to-earth and rational so I would use a word based approach first, but depending on whom I spoke to, I would adapt and use another.

It also depends on what you are trying to do -- explain asexuality to someone who doesn't know about it, guess someone's thoughts, understand yourself etc.

Grumpy Alien

I don’t think pictures would really help.

Neutral nerd

I think word based would be if aces read a definition of asexuality and understand that, which could help people who don't understand all the media hype about sex and just go along because everyone else does. Cake vs sex could be helpful, but chances are that anyone who sees that phrase is already on AVEN and so already knows

Janus the Fox
9 hours ago, Graceful said:

I don’t think pictures would really help.

The only image that helps figuring out stuff :)

Spoiler

zlo2z.jpg

This pic could be quite fitting for any "based on style" questioning of the self
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

On that basis I'm occasionally in the Aesthetic corner! Beauty to be appreciated but nothing else there. These pictures are useful.

Archived