Questions on sexual attraction

skepa

questions on sexual attraction.  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you experience sexual attraction?

• yes
    • no
    • maybe
    • I don't know
  2. 2. Have you ever identified as asexual?

• yes
    • no
    • maybe
  3. 3. Do you now identify as something other than asexual?

• yes
    • no
    • maybe
  4. 4. If you identified as asexual previously how confident did you feel that, it represented you at the time? 1 being not at all 5 being absolutely

• NA
  5. 5. have you ever seen another person as hot or sexy?

• yes
    • no
    • don't know
    • NA
  6. 6. If you answered no to the above question, do you think that is tied into what you define as lack of sexual attraction?

• yes
    • no
    • maybe
    • not applicable
  7. 7. Do you think of asexuality more as something you lack or something you have.

• lack
    • have
    • don't know
    • not applicable

Some follow up questions on asexuality, in reference to the dual asexuality post earlier.

NickyTannock
Not that it's necessary to tell you, but my answers were;
1, no.
2, yes.
3, no.
4, 5.
7, don't know.
8, not applicable.
9, lack.

By the way, what happened to 5 and 6?
Grumpy Alien

Yes, yes, yes, 4, yes, n/a, n/a

Previously identified as asexual and was pretty sure about it for years. Now experience sexual attraction and consider myself sexual.

I can recognize when people fit the bill for stereotypically sexy, but I don't find them sexy myself.

I answered under the assumption that by "hot" or "sexy" you mean sexually attractive and not aesthetically attractive. I find people handsome and beautiful all the time.

8 hours ago, wonk said:

I answered under the assumption that by "hot" or "sexy" you mean sexually attractive and not aesthetically attractive. I find people handsome and beautiful all the time.

Yeah apart of this questionnaire is to judge basically what percentage of people would fall under attraction-blind from the dual asexual hypothesis. That is, not finding someone hot or sexy is directly tied with this person's internal view of what it means to lack sexual attraction. It's not a new concept, I just don't think that it has been labeled very well.

I.e. demisexual is undescriptive saying, "I retain half of my sexuality" which is really wrong coming from my perspective. A better term would be something like:

Demiasexual, meaning I'm half asexual, I miss the attraction part, but still have the intimate, or secondary attraction. as somewhat defined in the asexuality wiki.

However this too has problems, it's still undescriptive about what part I lack. Which is why a much better term is:

attraction-blind. Thus I can now tell someone exactly what I'm feeling.

The final piece to the puzzle for the dual asexual hypothesis, is if what is described as secondary attraction, should even be considered sexual attraction at all. And after thinking about this, the answer for me is no because of the way obscenity is described in court, "I know it when I see it" and by see it, it's an immediate response. i.e. for sexual people the answer is 100% clear(at least as apart of this definition)that they know what sexual attraction is immediately and instantly. Since I do not, and I have to question if other feelings I have are are sexual attraction, I'm going by occams razor and saying, no, I don't experience sexual attraction, rather than use a word based definition like "desires partnered sex". I disagree with using only words to describe subjective experiences. Anyway that is what leads me to describe myself as an attraction-blind asexual. I'm attraction-blind because that is the sexual function I lack, and I'm asexual because I don't immediately know, and have to think about if I experience sexual attraction.

It's the same definition this guy used in 2009 https://thereisnocloset.blogspot.com/2009/01/recognizing-lack-of-sexual-attraction.html?m=1

Except he just called himself asexual, and I think that's wrong too because there is an entire group of people that define themselves as asexual because they don't desire partnered sex.

Thus we arrive at the conclusion of the dual asexual hypothesis, which is there are two types of asexuals, ones who are attraction-blind, like me, and ones who are desire-blind.

No, yes, no, 5,no, no, have. 

I see people as attractive, not specifically sexually attractive, by which I mean that I'd like them as friends, just not sex partners. 

I'm not at all comfortable with this attraction-blind and desire-blind terminology though. Even if people don't experience sexual desire or attraction in general  they're not blind to them. 

50 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

I'm not at all comfortable with this attraction-blind and desire-blind terminology though. Even if people don't experience sexual desire or attraction in general  they're not blind to them. 

I think the term attraction-blind actually fits me almost perfectly. I think others have also resonated with the term.

desire-blind however you may very well be right, it's not blind, but there might be a better term for it anyway, something like sex-neutral or sex-negative is already out there, maybe desire-neutral or desire-negative would be better.

NickyTannock

I'm still wondering why questions 5 and 6 are missing.

What kind of attraction do you mean in this term? Sexual, romantic, aesthetic...?  It sounds like you mean sexual attraction only, but I want to make sure.

4 hours ago, MichaelTannock said:

I'm still wondering why questions 5 and 6 are missing.

I had removed them when creating the poll. I didn't think they were useful.

2 hours ago, wavewall said:

What kind of attraction do you mean in this term? Sexual, romantic, aesthetic...?  It sounds like you mean sexual attraction only, but I want to make sure.

Attraction-blind references sexual and aesthetic, and maybe romantic, I think terms need to be broken down more, because it like half describes things. I.e. all three sexual, asethic, and romantic, could be broken down into two parts, primary and secondary. So attraction-blind references missing all primary attractions, in each of these categories.

Archived