Ace/aro rants and...hating the autism jokes.

Tiggidou

I've been stuck with discussions about romance. I've been stuck with people making jokes about autism.

I've been stuck with dating conversations and people just making jokes/jokingly excuses about autism at my school.

Idk how to handle things anymore because it's been ruining my sense of calm and making me more anxiety ridden and being more down than usual. 

idk what to do.

I'm probably ranting.

idk...

paperbackreader

:-(

Sorry to hear you're going through a hard time. Do you think these people mean to be mean or are they just unaware of how upset they are making you feel?  I used to escape by burying my head in a good book... The good news is past a certain age once the hormones has settled down a bit, the company gets much much better. 

I've just been googling how to let go of small things because it's been a growing niggling annoyance to me that my housemate doesn't buy any toilet tissue when housemate uses 85 percent of the available tissue yet i buy 100 percent of it... It's funny how the little things can sit on your mind when it's so annoying and counter productive and such a small issue!!!!

They just felt threatened because they can't comprehend how awesome you are, and how sweet and empathetic your lifestyle is.

So their only weapon is to dismiss it and say it's a disease. It's not.

24 minutes ago, Masterman said:

They just felt threatened because they can't comprehend how awesome you are, and how sweet and empathetic your lifestyle is.

So their only weapon is to dismiss it and say it's a disease. It's not.

The thing is, it legit started with this idiot of a scientist who thought it was a disease until years later he was proven wrong. And then people at my school tell the students that it's just no ok to make jokes about it because they don't realize how hurt others will feel if they continue to make jokes about autism. Worse, the students have been ignoring the school staff and decided to make more jokes again and I didn't want the jokes to affect my school life or my anxiety but apparently the jokes decided to affect those things so now I'm stuck with people's stupid idiotic jokes about autism. Like I feel like I have to yell at them and telling them that don't they get that those jokes are just hurting my feelings. 

One person even said that that's how they deal with their life. What they don't understand at all is that those jokes are hurting my feelings and affecting me, which I wish it didn't.

Also idk if the people making the jokes realize how rude it is to make jokes about autism. Like I'm trying to stay positive but apparently the jokes just make me more down than usual.

Also I'm probably just ranting...

My apologies.

Also idk why but the more people make more jokes like that, the more inferior and introverted I feel.

I think stopping bullying behavior is one of our most pressing priorities as a race right now. So many problems come from that.

Know the ones in the wrong are them, not you.

paperbackreader
8 hours ago, Tiggidou said:

The thing is, it legit started with this idiot of a scientist who thought it was a disease until years later he was proven wrong. And then people at my school tell the students that it's just no ok to make jokes about it because they don't realize how hurt others will feel if they continue to make jokes about autism. Worse, the students have been ignoring the school staff and decided to make more jokes again and I didn't want the jokes to affect my school life or my anxiety but apparently the jokes decided to affect those things so now I'm stuck with people's stupid idiotic jokes about autism. Like I feel like I have to yell at them and telling them that don't they get that those jokes are just hurting my feelings. 

One person even said that that's how they deal with their life. What they don't understand at all is that those jokes are hurting my feelings and affecting me, which I wish it didn't.

Also idk if the people making the jokes realize how rude it is to make jokes about autism. Like I'm trying to stay positive but apparently the jokes just make me more down than usual.

Also I'm probably just ranting...

My apologies.

Also idk why but the more people make more jokes like that, the more inferior and introverted I feel.

It's OK, don't apologize, you sound quite cut up about the situation. It's a common experience to feel inferior if people are pointing out your faults unkindly and making you feel unaccepted. 

You say that one of the people who do it has openly said that it's how they deal with their own life, rather than any actual anonymosity towards you, I think it would be interesting to ask that person what difficulty /hurt in their life they have to deal with and understand what causes the behaviour and empathize? And perhaps you can also ask how hurting you helps, when you are someone who has not hurt them? That might help you understand other people's motives and problems but also  inform people who don't mean to hurt you about your feelings in a sympathetic and non confrontational way and make them stop..?  

And if they're complete idiots about the situation, then you have more evidence that you can write them and their opinions off as codswallop!

Of course the theory is easy... It takes some courage and the right opportunity/moment to do something like that. 

Hope you feel better soon, it's better to talk about things like these and get it out of the system than to internalise them as your own faults, here if you need to rant, nobody is perfect or the same, but that's why things are interesting! 

Hello there, and welcome to AVEN! :cake:

As part of my welcome to you, I'd like to point out some important threads that might be helpful in your first few days here. :) The Terms of Service is here. We recommend you read it over, and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to send either myself or any other administrator or moderator (the "admod" team, as we're called) a message.  Also, there's a handy forum called Site Info, which has some useful information including a thread outlining who moderates which forum. If you ever need something done in or have questions about a specific forum, please message the mod of that forum. And if you have problems with the site in general, or any single member, please message any admod. 

The following are also nifty links to take a look at:  Welcome Lounge Mini Manual | Welcoming 101 | Quick Guide to the Forums | Asexuality FAQ's

Again, welcome to AVEN and I hope your stay is everything you hoped!

5 hours ago, .Lia said:

Hello there, and welcome to AVEN! :cake:

As part of my welcome to you, I'd like to point out some important threads that might be helpful in your first few days here. :) The Terms of Service is here. We recommend you read it over, and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to send either myself or any other administrator or moderator (the "admod" team, as we're called) a message.  Also, there's a handy forum called Site Info, which has some useful information including a thread outlining who moderates which forum. If you ever need something done in or have questions about a specific forum, please message the mod of that forum. And if you have problems with the site in general, or any single member, please message any admod. 

The following are also nifty links to take a look at:  Welcome Lounge Mini Manual | Welcoming 101 | Quick Guide to the Forums | Asexuality FAQ's

Again, welcome to AVEN and I hope your stay is everything you hoped!

My apologies I just don't know where to post what I write here and I wish there was an "other" page. Because whenever I've written or posted on this site, I haven't been sure where to post it so I sometimes posted it on the "welcome" page.

My apologies

Attila Marcel

Hello. I am not sure if you are clinically diagnosed as having AUTISM. But if not, I'd like you to google information on a personality type called HSP (Highly Sensitive Person). You may actually have nothing to do with autism. 

Also check out the book titled "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking" by Susan Cain. It might help you to realize your unique power and the joy of being introvert.

I will choose to be an introvert if I could live again million times. Good luck, friend.   

Archived