Hi

RavenKey666

RavenKey666

Hi everyone, I'm 16 and I just came out to my Mum as asexual and I came out to my Dad on Saturday.

They were both pretty accepting, which I thought they would be - they're both quite open minded, but they both thought I was a bit young and "might change my mind" which was annoying because they both had relationships when they were 15. A year younger than I am now!!!

Aside from that it was good and they don't really care as long as I'm happy which was nice.

Platonic Underdog

Hi and welcome, have some cake 🍰🍰🍰 it's awesome that your parents were so accepting 😊 it can be a bit annoying with the "might change mind" comments. My oldest sister says that to me a lot, despite the fact I'm 21 and never had a crush😁 so I feel your struggle there 😅

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your time here 😊

RavenKey666

Thanks Platonic Underdog. Love cake :)

RavenKey666

Thanks Lichley I have already told them about AVEN and I'll tell them about that too.

IrishArcher

Hi! I'm 16 too, but I haven't officially come out to my parents yet. I think I've made it pretty clear that I'm not interested in sexual relationships, but I don't know if they realize that's an actual orientation and not just a quirk.

The one I'm really worried about is my grandpa, since he's of the mindset that I'm supposed to be "preparing for marriage" or something, and he definitely doesn't understand that some people just aren't interested in sex/marriage/children, etc.

On 3/19/2018 at 10:38 PM, Lichley said:

Welcome! Maybe this will help them understand it better? http://www.asexualityarchive.com/a-parents-guide-to-asexuality/

Thanks, this article is really helpful. I haven't managed to get my parents sat down yet for 'the talk' because life has been manic, but when I do I might get them to read this article as part of introducing the idea to them.

Hello there, and welcome to AVEN! :cake:

As part of my welcome to you, I'd like to point out some important threads that might be helpful in your first few days here. :) The Terms of Service is here. We recommend you read it over, and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to send either myself or any other administrator or moderator (the "admod" team, as we're called) a message.  Also, there's a handy forum called Site Info, which has some useful information including a thread outlining who moderates which forum. If you ever need something done in or have questions about a specific forum, please message the mod of that forum. And if you have problems with the site in general, or any single member, please message any admod. 

The following are also nifty links to take a look at:  Welcome Lounge Mini Manual | Welcoming 101 | Quick Guide to the Forums | Asexuality FAQ's

Again, welcome to AVEN and I hope your stay is everything you hoped!

Archived