Finally here!

Seebaru

I have been hearing people talking about AVEN for a while now, but I actually decided to introduce myself here after watching that video about asexuality and the desire of connection.

I waited for a long while because I'm not a person who enjoys being in a community all that much. It takes a lot of effort on my part to be active, share opinions and discuss. Still, since I am already an user in Ace Alliance Amino, I thought I could at least introduce myself here, too. Especially since I've been lurking for few days now.

I'm Italiand and I'm 25 years old. I started to suspect being asexual between 2013 and 2014, I think, but it's been years and I can't pinpoint the exact thing that made me think of that. At first I used to consider myself either bisexual or even pansexual, because I felt that my sexual interest toward other people was always the same-- it just took a while to realize that interest wasn't even there to begin with.

Especially during this past year, I've been thinking about myself and my sexual orientation a lot. I grew up grouping together a lot of things that are not necessarily related to each other (finding people beautiful, consuming R18 stories, experiencing arousal, and liking romantic stories all meant that I just had to be straight, at least), and I'm still thinking extremely hard about the grey zones.

It took me a while to start worrying about my sexual orientation, because I honestly don't care about finding a specific label for myself all that much. The reasons why I'm trying hard is that I want to know myself better, so that I can be better understood by other people.
I'll spare you from getting overly specific about it, though. Just ask away if you're curious about anything.

Since it's an introduction, here are some random facts about me:
- Translating is one of the things I enjoy the most. I'd love to become a translator as a full-time job. Seriously, I know other people might think it's boring, but I really love it.
- I also love writing a lot. I've been inventing new stories and writing since when I was little, and I'm still doing it nowadays. I have several projects-- some are original stories, some are fanfiction ideas.
- I used to play the alto saxophone when I was younger, then I stopped at 19 because school kept me too busy to continue. I am still too busy to start playing again, but I miss it every day.
- I love videogames, but I'm very bad at gaming. My parents also told me since when I was small that videogames were trash/for boys, and that it was much better to do sports instead, so I only have a few. My only consoles are the notebook I use for everything and a(n old) Nintendo DS.
- My current favourite genres are Symphonic Metal (and similar genres) and K-Pop; the groups I like the most are Within Temptation, Nightwish and Delain for symphonic metal, and Infinite and BTS for kpop.
- I'm currently studying Chinese language at the university. Hopefully I'll graduate soon.
- I like TV shows, but not the american ones, that for some reason gross me out at some point (probably the importance sex seems to have everywhere?); I'm currently more into Korean dramas. I also really like anime, but I've stopped watching them for a while.
- I love both comics and webcomics. The one I'm the most into at the moment is "Lookism", but there are seriously so many I like it would take forever to list them all.

Nice to meet you!

wonderflonium

Welcome!  :cake:

Translating is a wonderful skill! How many languages are you fluent in? Do you have a favourite expression in English? What about Chinese?

Welcome! Isn’t David Jay is a really good speaker? That video was very motivational :) What kind of stories do you write? I like coming up with stories, but I’m terrible at writing them down, and I always change things 😔

2 hours ago, wonderflonium said:

Welcome!  :cake:

Translating is a wonderful skill! How many languages are you fluent in? Do you have a favourite expression in English? What about Chinese?

Thanks! I'm a native Italian, I think my English is not too awful (I hope? Does what I'm writing make sense?), and I can hold very simple conversations in Chinese. I also know very little Japanese and Korean, but not nearly enough to say I know them.
The first expression in English I can think of that I like is "it's raining cats and dogs". Every time I try to use it I can't help smiling, it's so funny!
As for Chinese, that would be 走马看花, which means to do something quickly and without paying too much attention to it, but it literally translates to "looking at the flowers while riding a horse", and it's such a nice way to say it!

1 hour ago, Lichley said:

Welcome! Isn’t David Jay is a really good speaker? That video was very motivational :) What kind of stories do you write? I like coming up with stories, but I’m terrible at writing them down, and I always change things 😔

Yes, it was so good! The speech made me a little emotional, actually.
As for writing, I am a huge fan of fantasy and fantastic elements, especially when they mix up with realistic locations.
Wanting to change things in a story is absolutely normal, the important thing is not to get too obsessed with fixing. My advice would be to write what you want to write first, then if you feel to come back and fix things when you're not done yet, just make some notes about it, but just revise the whole thing when you're done. It's easier said than done, but it's worth it. :D

Welcome, and have some cake 

That's an interesting language choice! I teach English in Spain and so started learning Spanish about 2 years ago. I'm reliably told that means I can probably get the gist of Italian and Portuguese, especially in written form. I'm interested in learning German as a route into the Germanic languages because I'm interested in the underlying structures in different languages. Like most people I think, Chinese seems like a very intimidating language to try and learn.

What made you choose to focus on Chinese rather than say Spanish which also has a large world market?

Hello there, and welcome to AVEN! :cake:

As part of my welcome to you, I'd like to point out some important threads that might be helpful in your first few days here. :) The Terms of Service is here. We recommend you read it over, and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to send either myself or any other administrator or moderator (the "admod" team, as we're called) a message.  Also, there's a handy forum called Site Info, which has some useful information including a thread outlining who moderates which forum. If you ever need something done in or have questions about a specific forum, please message the mod of that forum. And if you have problems with the site in general, or any single member, please message any admod. 

The following are also nifty links to take a look at:  Welcome Lounge Mini Manual | Welcoming 101 | Quick Guide to the Forums | Asexuality FAQ's

Again, welcome to AVEN and I hope your stay is everything you hoped!

• 1 month later...
On 3/22/2018 at 12:08 AM, LouiseHope said:

Welcome, and have some cake  . 

That's an interesting language choice! I teach English in Spain and so started learning Spanish about 2 years ago. I'm reliably told that means I can probably get the gist of Italian and Portuguese, especially in written form. I'm interested in learning German as a route into the Germanic languages because I'm interested in the underlying structures in different languages. Like most people I think, Chinese seems like a very intimidating language to try and learn.

What made you choose to focus on Chinese rather than say Spanish which also has a large world market?

When I read or hear Spanish I can somehow get what someone is trying to say, yes! But I wouldn't say you wouldn't need to learn the other language to understand better, since there are quite a lot of words I still don't get in Spanish. ^^"
I'd love to learn a lot of languages, but languages from Asian countries use a completely different system from ours, and I consider it kind of fascinating. The idea of learning about a use of words and culture completely different from mine was really fascinating to me. I chose Chinese, but I'm just as interested in Korean, Japanese, Thai, Hindi, and Vietnamese. The idea of "world market" never really came to my mind, actually! Many classmates of mine mention their interest in Chinese for the job opportunities that will come with it, but I chose my University because I liked what I would study there more than anything.

Thanks for the warm welcome. :3

On 3/23/2018 at 1:59 PM, .Lia said:

Hello there, and welcome to AVEN! :cake:

As part of my welcome to you, I'd like to point out some important threads that might be helpful in your first few days here. :) The Terms of Service is here. We recommend you read it over, and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to send either myself or any other administrator or moderator (the "admod" team, as we're called) a message.  Also, there's a handy forum called Site Info, which has some useful information including a thread outlining who moderates which forum. If you ever need something done in or have questions about a specific forum, please message the mod of that forum. And if you have problems with the site in general, or any single member, please message any admod. 

The following are also nifty links to take a look at:  Welcome Lounge Mini Manual | Welcoming 101 | Quick Guide to the Forums | Asexuality FAQ's

Again, welcome to AVEN and I hope your stay is everything you hoped!

Thank you, maps are always needed! <3

Archived