Supporting my Genderfluid Friend

KayBayKitty

KayBayKitty

Hi! This is not about my gender experience, but rather my friend's, so I'm not sure if it should go here, but this is the best place I could find. Anyway, my friend recently (like, days ago) realized they're genderfluid. When they came out to me, I hugged them, told them I'd always accept them, and asked what pronouns to use at that moment. We've had a discussion about names to use, how they'll use different colored bracelets for whatever gender they are at that time, I've told them my house is open if they ever need a place to stay, and I’ve made sure they know about binder safety.

My question is, what else can I do to make sure their coming out experience is as good as possible? I want them to feel smothered by a blanket of love and acceptance and support. But hopefully without any actual smothering.

thanks!

Celyn: The Lutening

I love the bracelet idea! You're doing amazingly. Maybe tell them "I want you to feel smothered by a blanket of love and acceptance and support" - personally hearing that would make my heart explode with happiness :3

And tell them random internet person (me) wants that for them too.

Breathing....

I second Celyn!

I only recently mentioned to my friend that I’m unsure about my gender identity. It came up because We were discussing sexuality and how We get sick of assumptions by medics and then [friend] made an assumption about my gender and I said ‘just like that’. I caught them (and myself) off guard and [friend] apologized and said they didn’t realize. But I think I’d have liked the reassurance that it was ok. I know it is and that they support me but to vocalize/say it would have felt more safe.

In short I think you have done everything-offered a safe place and person and been fully accepting and non pressuring! 

Janus the Fox

Acceptance on all levels, just like a friend accepts a friend.

Sounds like you reacted amazingly! Maybe ask how big of a deal they want this to be. I, for one, prefer my friends to not gender me at all as a baseline, and I also don't like talking about my gender. But of course, people are different, so maybe your friend loves to talk about gender changes and the like!

Archived