Identity and Mourning

Hi! :-) New to the boards, and still learning. Apologies if this post has already made its rounds.

I've recently learned about asexuality, and have been faced with a lot of mixed emotions over it ... On one hand, it seems to describe a lot of my personal experiences, and it's been a relief to know that I'm not the only one out there who feels/thinks this way.

... On the other, I'm deeply saddened: almost as though I'm moving through a bereavement process. I have to process the reality that my life won't follow the standard formula (school-marriage-house-kids) that is so valued by society.

I know that there are ways to have these things --- but it still hurts.

Has anyone else experienced similar feelings as they've learned about this community and started to process the implications?

• Like 1

society has lied to everyone. to some of us, it said sex was important.

to others, it has said that sex isn't important.

A few years before realized I could be Ace I had a similar sort of experience.  Around the time I turned 30 I started to realize that the likelihood of me  getting married was dwindling.  I also had the opportunity to buy a house which I had always  envisioned doing with a husband.  It was kind of sad In a way.  Now that I realize I’m probably a sexual I understand why things didn’t work out the way I thought they were supposed to and I feel a little better about it.

• Like 1

You can be ace and still have any or all of those things you wanted.

That being said, asexual or not, it's honestly a good thing to not feel like you have to fit your life to a specific rubric dictated by society.  That's boring.  Make your life your own.

• Like 1

Hello! Welcome to AVEN!:cake:

I'm sorry you're going through a sort of grieving process. All I can do is offer you a big (virtual) hug and promise that you can do whatever you want with your life, asexual or not.

• Like 1

Thanks for your response, everyone :-) I agree that society is silly ... I've already broken a fair number of norms by being a woman in STEM, but the the relationship issue seems to be more central / deeper than just one's choice of career. We're cultural creatures, and it's hard not to internalise and identify with such big important messages.

... hopefully society is heading in the direction of "more normals" rather than the single normal that we have right now.

On 2018-03-19 at 6:14 AM, paradoc said:

Hi! :-) New to the boards, and still learning. Apologies if this post has already made its rounds.

I've recently learned about asexuality, and have been faced with a lot of mixed emotions over it ... On one hand, it seems to describe a lot of my personal experiences, and it's been a relief to know that I'm not the only one out there who feels/thinks this way.

... On the other, I'm deeply saddened: almost as though I'm moving through a bereavement process. I have to process the reality that my life won't follow the standard formula (school-marriage-house-kids) that is so valued by society.

I know that there are ways to have these things --- but it still hurts.

Has anyone else experienced similar feelings as they've learned about this community and started to process the implications?

Oh definitely. And spent years of agonizing therapy to "cure" myself from not being able to fall in love, feeling a strong aversion towards sex and never having felt any sexual attraction to anyone. Until I learned about asexuality and recognized my feelings - even though the therapist dismissed asexuality as a real thing... 

I have mourned, and accepted. And now I live my life as I am meant to live it. With the only exception that I DO want a relationship - to share my life with the man of my life. But without the sex part. Not having that, and facing growing old alone without a life partner  is hurting.

So I definitely share these feelings with you. <3

heya, yeah I feel where you are coming from, but there is a bunch of people that feel the same way. I think I felt more relief than anything because I feel like I could finally identify with others. I can understand not following the main course of life, but there is also the positive side that you are understanding yourself better. :)

Conspiracy_Web

I totally get it, it's upsetting to figure out you might be ace because life will be different for you. And yes, you can still have those things but it gets a bit more complicated.

Let yourself be upset, grieve, do what you need. But then remember this isn't a bad thing. It just means different, which can be positive too! You don't have to be tied down by what society expects, you can have adventures and carve your own path. And I think that's kinda amazing.

• Like 1