Finding other lgbtqa friends

Mickaylyn Peaks

Mickaylyn Peaks

I live and was raise in a Christian environment. This means that there are not very many people who I feel comfortable talking about lgbtqa related topics. One friend I have is openly against the community. I myself identify as Demiromantic Asexual, but I have found that I would rather be in a relationship and even eventually marry a female rather than a male. I am very interested in lgbtqa characters in media and this makes me feel like I don’t have much in common with many of my peers. Even if we like the same book series, my friends are more likely to ship the straight couples while I think that the same-sex couples are the best and cutest. I have come out to a few family members that I trust, such as my parents and one of my cousins, but I have only been able to come out to one friend and that was only because I knew she would not reject me and that she was an atheist, so I felt comfortable telling her. However I cannot say the same for the majority of my other friends. This is part of the reason I joined AVEN, so that I could connect to other aces and meet more people like me, in a place where I know I won’t be judged.

Platonic Underdog

Welcome and have some cake 🍰🍰🍰 you'll certainly find like minded people here. I hope you enjoy your time here 😊

Mickaylyn Peaks
10 hours ago, Platonic Underdog said:

Welcome and have some cake 🍰🍰🍰 you'll certainly find like minded people here. I hope you enjoy your time here 😊

Thank you @Platonic Underdog, that means a lot to me. To know that there is a place where people can talk about stuff like this is so comforting in a world where many people are still against lgbtqa 🏳️‍🌈 relationships and topic.

Welcome to AVEN! Have a slice of cake :cake: (it's a little tradition we do to welcome newcomers).

I understand your story. Most of my friends are religious, and it can be hard to hide my true self from them. At least your parents, and your cousin, and one friend of yours are accepting. Focus on what they say about your identity, not the friends who wouldn't accept your identity.

If you're looking for like-minded people to talk to and share your experiences with, this is definitely the right place for you! I hope you love AVEN as much as I do, and meet lots of supportive people.

I joined aven for similar reasons. My family thinks all lgtbqia people go to hell. If you’re looking to make in person friends, I highly recommend meetup. I’ve had good luck with lgtbq groups and freethought groups.

Omg welcome!! I joined here too because of that, right after I "came out" to my best friends (still afraid to tell my mom coz she might not accept).  It's been a rough year but talking here helps a lot. If you or anyone wants to talk I'm free!! 

I joined for the same reason, have some cake :cake: We understand and accept you! 

Mickaylyn Peaks

Thank you everyone for your outpouring of love and support!! 🍰 It is so amazing for me to talk to people who are also have similar experiences and situations. This doesn’t mean I’m closing the topic, quite the opposite.💜🖤

If you're university age, or will be soon, see if there are groups wherever you're going. I have one at my uni and they're really good, I've already made a few friends even though that's usually difficult for me.

Yeah, I live in a suburban town populated by rich (but I’m not rich ☹️), often religious people (not saying religious people cannot be tolerant, but most doctrines aren’t very accepting) so it’s tough finding anyone that is ace (population of only like 15,000, too). I also joined cause it’s the first time I’ve been able to interact (well, in my case half my posts are basically making fun of my own utter obliviousness and unromantic nature) with any aces. I’ve never met an ace IRL ☹️. So hey 👋🙂

• 1 month later...
Mickaylyn Peaks
On 3/22/2018 at 5:43 PM, arden_jay said:

If you're university age, or will be soon, see if there are groups wherever you're going. I have one at my uni and they're really good, I've already made a few friends even though that's usually difficult for me.

I’m being to look at colleges and since I want to have the option of coming home on the weekends, I’m thinking of staying in California. So hopefully that means that most people will be cool with it. People in California have generally been pretty chill with lgbtqa peps.

Archived