Come out on video?

NickyTannock
I have no plans to come out as Asexual to my Dad, and I've already come out as Asexual to my friends, most I know online.
I'm wondering if there is any value in making a general coming out video?
Has anyone here done that?

Hi @MichaelTannock!

I haven't made a coming out video, so I can't speak from personal experience. But there would be some advantages of coming out through video that I can think of. Like you would be able to form your thoughts more clearly, and not have to experience any negative reaction face-to-face. So if you want to come out to the rest of your friends via video, it doesn't seem like a bad idea to me.

If your purpose for making it is just to make a general video of your experience and struggles coming to terms with your identity, that sounds like a good idea too. Sometimes making a video, writing a blog post, etc. can help us work through our feelings and express them.

• Like 1

It's certainly one way to do it and it would allow you to work through things first.  Also if you want to come out to a wider audience, it would save you from having a ton of individual conversations.

For me, I am a cosplayer and I've seen a few of my friends do "coming out" photo shoots with a character they really feel captures that aspect of their identity, which I think is a really cool idea. Once I figure things out I'm likely going to to that route.