What do I say to my friend

Greenstar55

Okay so I identify as a homotomantic asexual but I'm 'gay' to my friends 

Me and a super close friend were talking and he said when I asked him about asexual, it's just nothing don't use that word, they're jsut all special snowflakes which bothers me but idk what to say to him 

binary suns
1 hour ago, Greenstar55 said:

Okay so I identify as a homotomantic asexual but I'm 'gay' to my friends 

Me and a super close friend were talking and he said when I asked him about asexual, it's just nothing don't use that word, they're jsut all special snowflakes which bothers me but idk what to say to him 

tell him there are no such thing as special snowflakes, because special snowflakes stereotypically want to be special, but people who use unconventional words to explain their experience do not want to be special. they want to find other people like them, to feel normal. They want to be normal and mundane humans, not special and not unique snowflakes. Tell him that if he thinks that special snowflakes exist, that makes him one, for he is just asking for drama, and only special snowflakes seek drama. ;) 

alternatively tell him he's being an ass... and if you're asexual, he needs to either accept that - or accept that his lack of support is betrayal. Don't let people walk all over you. 

• Like 6
binary suns

also, talk to him again. sometimes people just have a gut reaction.. but when you insist, they start to realize that they shouldn't have dismissed you so quickly. People tend to misanalyze the importance of things to others... but if they are close friends, more exposure wakes them up to that importance. 

I had a friend who absolutely loved gloating in his wins. So much that he was absolutely oblivious to when he was taking it too far and making others feel ashamed. If we spoke up and told him enough was enough, he'd be pretty good at switching it off, and apologizing. It would be clear he meant no harm - he was just enjoying his emotions :) this is what I mean. Don't let other people's reactions dictate your acceptance of yourself. 

• Like 1
Ms. Carolynne

@float on I second this.

There's nothing "special snowflake" in being honest about who you are, even if it's something relatively rare.

Special snowflakes just do things for attention, and seek to be treated differently from others. I actually find snowflakes using the term a lot to denote people who simply want to be recognized and treated as normal people.

It's really a term for lackwits to have an excuse to (quite hypocritically) dismiss egalitarian efforts / values, so they themselves can be treated differently and treat others differently.

• Like 3

I don’t know what to say to your friend but I sympathize. I’ve been afraid of getting this reaction as well, especially since I’ve identified as straight the entire time my friends have known me.

• Like 1
everywhere and nowhere

I hate the phrase "special snowflake" precisely because I believe that everyone is unique, indispensable and special and that the inner experience is absolutely boundless and infinite.

• Like 3

Tell them how it made you feel. If they cant, or refuse, to understand then that isnt a friend worth having.