Drink Recommendations?

SilentRose

I'm going out with my sister and her friends to celebrate St.Patricks day tonight, and I want to try a drink, not because anyone is pressuring me but more out of curiosity. 

Any recommendations for me? Here are my stipulations: 

-Nothing with soda, I have horrible teeth and stay away from it at all costs

-Something that tastes decent at the least. Fruity or chocolatey preferably? For reference I hate plain beer and red wine, that's all I've tried 

-Something without a strong alcohol taste 

-Nothing too strong, nothing that burns, etc. 

-Nothing with an extraordinarily high alcohol content, light to moderate would be preferred 

-Price isn't really an issue, but I'd prefer to spend less than 30 dollars

I guess mostly I want something that doesn't taste like alcohol, isn't so strong and yeah, no soda. That's it really :D

Any recommendations? 

Man of the Stoa

Since it's for Patties Day, I'm culturally obligated to recommend a beer. Weihenstephaner products are very high quality, widely available, and reasonably priced. Their Korbinian is probably my favorite beer. Many people I know who don't like beer have liked it (sidenote, many don't like beer having tried things like bud or coors, which use rice for a carb source instead of something more flavorful, like wheat, so a proper beer is a different experience worth having. You won't necessarily enjoy it, but it will be a distinct one).

For a fruitier drink, I'd recommend one part pineapple juice and one part amaretto. Possibly my favorite drink.

Lastly, if you're going out, don't be afraid to ask the bartenders for recommendations. If you're not obnoxious about it, they'll generally help you out, and do a much better job than a stranger on the internet can. Some live for this stuff, have invented their own cocktails that are only served at that bar, and are very friendly.

Hope you have a fun night.

Browncoat10
18 minutes ago, SilentRose said:

something that doesn't taste like alcohol, isn't so strong and yeah, no soda

Pretty much describing cider right there.

Okay if you don't want soda then most of drinks are out of the question. I could say wine, beer and ciders, however those are just as acidic as soda.

So the only drinks I can think of is drinks like black and white russian. Basically coffe and kahlua (black) milk/cream (white) with vodka. It taste surprisingly good. Also Baileys, Irish Coffee etc. If you like chocolate the former is great, if you like coffee the latter is great :D

everywhere and nowhere

Tea. Drinking alcohol is not obligatory. I never drink any and I'm not ashamed of having raised a glass of water on my mom's wedding. Nobody's gonna force me to drink alcohol because I'm not a masochist.

2 minutes ago, Nowhere Girl said:

Tea. Drinking alcohol is not obligatory. I never drink any and I'm not ashamed of having raised a glass of water on my mom's wedding. Nobody's gonna force me to drink alcohol because I'm not a masochist.

But she's asking for alcoholic drinks. She's allowed to drink alcohol too without being lectured or given alternatives. 

Browncoat10
3 minutes ago, Nowhere Girl said:

Congratulations. I'm also tee-total by choice, but SilentRose was asking for alcoholic drinks. Which is totally fine. 

Alejandrogynous

Do you like apples? Try a cider, it'll be about the strength of beer but it's usually very sweet and not too alcohol-tasting. 

Normally I'd agree with asking the bartender's recommendation, but not if the bar is swamped like it probably will be on St Patty's. If you want something strongish but not boozy tasting, try vodka with a fruit/juice mixer. You can specify that you want it not too strong, or ask for a 'tall' which means the same amount of alcohol but in a bigger glass so there's more mixer.

Drink water too, at least one glass for every alcoholic drink you have, your body will thank you. Also - especially if you're not used to drinking - make sure you're going in on a full stomach. Lots of carbs.

Good luck and have fun!

Yes, cider is a good idea

You could try white russian drink, but without vodka (though, as I hate vodka, I really like white russian)

From beer, I'd recommend stouts, porters - they taste a bit dark chocolatey/coffee-like or APA (american pale ale) with slighy lemon taste

Mezzo Forte
2 hours ago, SilentRose said:

Something that tastes decent at the least. Fruity or chocolatey preferably? For reference I hate plain beer and red wine, that's all I've tried

Don't have much to mention that's chocolatey (though I've heard of people mixing Baileys and hot cocoa and suspect that'd be good :lol:) but I can talk a little about fruity stuff.

Have you ever tried sangria? They're hit-or-miss depending on how they're made, but they're wine-based and tend to be mostly juice anyways. I've heard that sangria made with white wine and peaches is rather good, but I've only had red wine sangria, and I didn't really see what the bartender put in it, but I think oranges, strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries are common fruits used in those. I've also tried Malibu rum with orange juice many years ago and thought it was pleasant.

When I've had cocktails with spirits, the strength always depends on how the bartender prepares the drink. Pina coladas and daquiris can be quite nice, and you can probably ask for them to go easy on the rum for those cocktails. Heck, I usually drink virgin versions of those drinks.

Actually, I've only recently found alcoholic drinks that I enjoy at all, and I currently have a taste for this one spirit that's a blend of rum, tequila, and coconut liqueur. When I prepare my own drinks, I tend to really dilute the alcohol so it's not too strong, and I like the coconut aftertaste. That said, I've mostly been mixing this stuff with sodas, so those might not interest you.

Thank you so much everyone! We actually ended up leaving around 9:30 because the bar was packed and my sister has a terrible fear of crowds! But in the short time I was there i did try the Bailey's per @ThaHowards recommendation (thank you so much by the way) 

And...it wasn't bad! Strangely very creamy for alcohol, much much better than beer in my opinion :)

The cider recommendations were great too, I was just urged to get the Bailey's when I brought it up at the table, I guess it was a popular drink with the group :D

Thanks again everyone!! 

• 5 weeks later...
DazzlingGirl16

Non-alcoholic Strawberry Daiquiri (emphasize on non-alcoholic)

(I had them at Red Lobster before) 

@SD4789 Hooch in the States is usually a cheap alcoholic beverage made in prisons of toilet water and bread or fruit that is allowed to ferment.😁😁😁 Goes to show the differences between us here and you guys over there! 

Archived