Two percent of all Software Developers Asexual?

Dreamer23

Anyone seen the StackOverflow Survey results of 2018? ( https://insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2018/?utm_source=Iterable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=dev-survey-2018-promotion#demographics )

They just released them today, and 1.9% of respondents identified themselves as ace! :o

That's twice the 1% number that usually gets thrown around, and that number itself already seemed pretty embellished to me.

Thoughts? :D

Considering that many people are just now beginning to know what asexuality is and that they may be asexual themselves, I'd guess that 1.9% is low.  

That's cool!  :)  Didn't know that was one of the questions this year...usually I just look to see what the popular languages are. 

As a software dev myself, I can't say I've ever met anyone who called themselves ace, though that doesn't mean they wouldn't say so on a survey.

EngineeRaven

Well, that is certainly interesting! As a Software Engineering student, I'm proud. :D

Fantastic Name

This made my day! :D I'd love to see this percentage go up in later years. Visibility matters!

Well just like other professions that draw certain demographic groups, it makes sense that there might be one that draws more asexuals

Lucas Monteiro

Really interesting, and with this survey and many others we can see that maybe there is a correlation between STEM fields and people who identify as asexuals following careers that enter in this field. Maybe it's a coincidence or maybe not, but just like @Claire1983 said, it makes sense that there might be one [field] that draws more asexuals. And if we go with a more generalized path, we could say that most asexuals being introvert would too relate more to logical and mathematical careers. But that's just presumption without data, of course we can't still say for sure.

Yay! I'm a software engineer in training and think that's great.

Another thing I noticed... the respondents of the survey were almost 93 percent male (yikes). Considering all the surveys of the ace community I've seen have a majority of female respondents, this is a pretty unusual showing!

Divide By Zero

I'm not really surprised by this. I'm a software developer and I can think of at least co-workers who may be asexual and/or aromantic based on the fact that I've never heard them mention having a relationship or significant other (of course, this is a generalization, but anyone who doesn't seem to have an interest in relationships, dating, sex, etc. always makes me wonder if they are ace and/or aro).

• 3 weeks later...
Sage Raven Domino

Oops, I did read part of that survey when it just came out, but I wouldn't have expected there to be a question about sexual orientation; what I was looking for was the popularity and profitability of various new programming languages like Rust, Go, Kotlin. Thanks for pointing me to the orientation poll results :cake:

If you look at only student data that number goes up to 2.9% (higher than the 2.5% that identify as gay or lesbian). Makes me wonder if the real percentage might be even higher than 1.9 but seems lower here due to lack of knowledge about asexuality. Cool stuff!

Janus the Fox

Could probably be a similar statistic in any working field, if given the same survey, a pinch of salt should be given to the validity of surveys otherwise.

Archived