How to look more androgynous?

Rosendust

Hey all, I am wondering what else I can do to make myself to look more androgynous?

The only change I've made so far is to my hair(I have cut it short) but I'm wondering if you might have anymore ideas?

I am in the process of saving up for a binder, if that matters.

Thanks for your help,

Rosendust

Clothes and hair are what I've found most helpful. For clothing, particularly slightly baggier stuff, men's clothes, shirts with designs, and button downs.

Shopping in the men's section is what I usually do. If I find something I like and think I'd wear it, I might buy it.

Depending on the kind of weather you have where you live I'd advise woollen winter hats, they look pretty androgynous. Shoes are difficult but Palladium and Converse shoes are rather gender neutral. And trousers that don't cling to your legs more than down to your knees, but not bootcut either, something in between? Hoodies (especially with a zip) are cool too, and I particularly like turtle neck shirts. Otherwise, anything that feels good to you is likely to be what you want :)

24 minutes ago, Findus said:

And trousers that don't cling to your legs more than down to your knees, but not bootcut either, something in between?

When I was looking for pants that didn’t cling the only ones I found were in the men’s section. Even the “straight leg” women’s pants clung and accentuated my hips and went in on the knee. Men’s skinny/straight is what I found that worked for me. They’re straight leg and give me a more androgynous silhouette. (Plus they’re simplier than women’s when it comes to sizes (at least in the US.))

Luftschlosseule

Jewellery. Simple but bulky is associated with men, like a shark tooth necklace or a strip of leather as armband.

If you're into scarves, you could look for multi purpose textiles, basically tubes of cloth you can wear as scarf, headband, beanie... I really love those things.

And if I were to compare men's and women's clothing, the latter tends to be more colourful.

Vests are both super comfortable and they hide the shape of your body. They are especially great in the warmer months, when hoodies and loose jackets can cause overheating. You can also pear them with long sleeve shirts in the cooler months of spring and fall.

16 hours ago, ReyGraves said:

When I was looking for pants that didn’t cling the only ones I found were in the men’s section. Even the “straight leg” women’s pants clung and accentuated my hips and went in on the knee. Men’s skinny/straight is what I found that worked for me. They’re straight leg and give me a more androgynous silhouette. (Plus they’re simplier than women’s when it comes to sizes (at least in the US.))

Boyfriend jeans in the women's section at least used to be a thing. You'll probably find those in flea markets, but I don't know about shops anymore. H&M occasionally brings a pair or two back. They tend to have "boyfriend" labeled somewhere, similar to "skinny" or "low-waist" etc. They're generally a bit more loose but it depends on the pair. (Pic in the spoiler)

Spoiler

10_10_17_denim_boyfriend_ingrid_1l.jpg

On 3/13/2018 at 2:52 PM, Robin Hood said:

Vests are both super comfortable and they hide the shape of your body. They are especially great in the warmer months, when hoodies and loose jackets can cause overheating. You can also pear them with long sleeve shirts in the cooler months of spring and fall.

Great Idea about vests! I completely forgot about them! 

I've found that if you have wider shoulders, men's short-sleeved button-ups are really good as overshirts.

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:20 AM, yyy said:

For a long time I  looked for  the right kind of vest  for warmer weather.  The kind of vests for colder weather are  far more easily available.  

Anything for warmer or hot sweltering weather is almost impossible to find.  Vests tend to be designed as an extra layer when you fee a bit cold  so there are those with  some  kind of warmer lining such as flannel or  fleece. Some may be partially lightweight but  would have  something like "chamois"  sewn into the stand-up collar.   

There are fishing vests,  or "travel vests" that are  good  because of the pockets, but I dislike vests that don't have a  stand-up collar. If you did not have a shirt underneath  it would reveal your neck and chest.  There are some stand-up collar vests which are great in design but  most are for colder weather.

It took me a while to find a lightweight  stand-up collar vest  that is good for hot weather. I found it online. I bought several. It is not just good for covering up  your neck and looking more androgynous  but   when the sun is shining brightly on a hot day, it is actually good to prevent sunburn on your neck. 

Often, scanty or  revealing clothing  which is supposed to make you feel lighter and cooler is counterproductive. 

Another problem with women's tops and shirts is that  they are way too short at the hem.  I find it almost impossible to find shirts that are long enough to go anywhere sufficiently past the hips.

Women's shirts and tops are  intentionally designed to be short because it is meant to emphasize the common, female  curvy hips. It creates what I call the "Little-girl-with-a-too-short-dress-look" in which bending over or moving  reveals the butt.   Women's  curvy shapes would be easier to hide with longer shirts. 

Any woman who  wants more of an androgynous look and  was born with particularly prominent hips is at a great disadvantage. 

This is a good topic.   Wanting  to be androgynous looking but  being born into a body that has  "too obvious"  features of one gender.  I would say that mostly it pertains to females.

Some women are lucky to be born with  straight hips  and  flat chest.  Of course a lot of women think themselves unfortunate  to look androgynous.

I  trained to be a medical assistant. I once was in an internship doing EKGs  (electro-cardio-gram)  on people. I did an EKG on a young woman who was about 25 years old  but  had a flatter chest than a man would have.  I was so envious but  she told the nurse  who was in the room that she is  so ashamed of her flat chest.  The nurse said told  her that she ought to have some kids and that would make her chest more like a woman's    I kept out of the discussion and just did my work in  doing the EKG.  

I love vests so much! I wanted add to your list of good vests. If you buy a fleece vest without a weather proof coating and a size or two up it's good for the summer months. I usually pair this with a very thin tank top underneath (just incase). The size up is to allow more air flow and further obscure your figure. I was really lucky that my university sold these in really great colors. I never would have picked up my vest habit otherwise.

Archived