Character Crushes

Robin Hood

I don't normally develop crushes on characters from television or movies. For the most part, I only develop feelings for real people that I actually know. It's just how I'm wired. 

So, I was pretty surprised that I have character crushes on multiple characters from "The Good Place". Especially Janet. You guys/gals, I would date a Janet in a heart beat. 

And you know what? I would date Jason, or Eleanor, or Tehani too. I don't know if this stems from the good writing of the show, or the chemistry or the characters, or what, but something about this show has my heart a flutter. 

What about you all? Any sudden character crushes surprise you?

13 Things Janet From "The Good Place" Has Said That When Taken Out Of Context, Really Resonate With Me

StrangeStory

Ooh, I love Janet, Eleanor and Tehani; particularly Janet!

I've had loads of character crushes. That's not unusual for me; I'll get a crush on just about any girl with nice hair, nice skin and nice expressions & mannerisms.

But the most unusual and surprising one for me was Sandy from Spongebob Squarepants...

Absolutely, most of my "crushes" come from people I see on tv or in movies. However I don't think I'm truly wired to have fictional crushes because almost immediately after the "crush" develops I'll immediately look up the actor who plays the character and the "crush" will be transferred to him. 

• 2 weeks later...
blunose2772

Alice Quinn from The Magicians. I see a lot of myself in her character. Emotions kind of all over the place and when she is set on doing something she gets that Tunnel Vision and can't really focus on anything else until it's done. 

The vast majority of my "crushes" have been on fictional characters. I can't honestly say why, though I have a feeling it's the safety factor. Feelings for a fictional character can never lead to anything more, and thus, I avoid all possibility of an awkward situation. Also, fictional characters can be molded however I like them.. head canon is wonderful. 

Maybe I'm not quite the same here though - while I've definitely crushed on many fictional characters, I tend to think of them as 'adorable' or 'cute', and 99.9% of the time I like them as part of a pairing.

IrishArcher

I only ever crush on fictional characters. I think my standards are just ridiculously high, and no real person could ever actually meet them--or maybe just what klaritea said: fictional characters conform to my wishes, no matter what, and there's no way anything could actually come of it. What's weird for me is that I only ever develop a crush on the character, not the actor. There's a clear distinction in my head--it's not the body/face I find attractive, it's the character itself. If the actor isn't in character, I feel no attraction whatsoever, no matter how hard I crush on their character.

I agree with what someone said above- I feel like the safety factor of them never being able to reciprocate makes me feel more inclined to crush on them. I feel like when someone in real life is aware I have a crush on them, I get nervous because often times our sexualities/orientations don't match anyways.. so I often like to muse around with fictional character crushes because they don't have to reciprocate! Haha :) 

Lucy in the sky

Like @SilentRose said, my crushes that start as character-crushes quickly become actor-crushes. But I don't think of them really as crushes; perhaps more as people who I admire/respect.

What I mean by that is, maybe I'll like a certain character, look up the actor who plays him, research on that person, and I will often find him attractive for platonic reasons - talented, intelligent, articulate, similar personality and mindset to mine, etc. :)

Those "crushes" never really go away either, if I like someone they will always have a special place in my heart.

(currently adoring Adam Driver ^_^)

Going to piggyback off @SilentRose and @Lucy in the sky. My brain knows the fictional character is fake, so I can't go that route for long. That's not to say I haven't thought to myself, "Man, I wish so and so was real!" I've definitely thought that about shows in the past. But, like others have said, I typically have to make that more realistic. Even though I know, I know, it's still just fantasy. :P Obviously I don't expect the artist or musician that I mini-obsess over to ever be something more than daydreams.

I'm trying to think of any that surprised me.... I think they always surprise me. I'm usually so indifferent that anytime I think about people it's a pleasant surprise. :) 

Harkness144

My character crush has to be Captain Jack Harkness from Torchwood, although I’m also a fan of the actor, John Barrowman, as a real person too.

Although I’m a woman, I have found all through my life I tend to ‘like’ gay men the most - so for instance, if I have to pick a favourite member of a boyband, or contestant on a TV show, I very often pick a gay man.

I’m starting to think it may be a subconscious thing - I know that they are completely out of reach on so many levels, and so it is ‘safe’ to like them - there will never be any danger of needing to take it any further. I can fantasise without ever needing to worry about it being a reality, if that makes sense.

Okay so I am happy to know some other ace folks also sometimes have crushes... most of mine tend to be fictional characters too.

Oh god. I develop crushes on characters but it is more of an "I would love to eat some pizza with them" kinda crush. For example, Hawkeye/Clint Barton from the comics is fantastic because he is a complete disaster. I find that the best way to describe my crushes are friend-crushes. As in I don't personally want to date them but I would LOVE to be their friend (Also it likely wouldn't happen since they are normally fictional).

My first ever crush was on a character. I was about 5 and it was on Sailor Uranus (Haruka) from Sailor Moon. That should've been the writing on the wall but I never admitted my bi status until last year. I also found Kovu from The Lion King 2 terribly attractive.

11f750cc42b12d8eabba68f69a8371b3.jpg

Awwww, many of these are so cute! I never looked at it through the lenses of "safe to like them". Now that I think of it, most of my crushes have been engaged. I didn't know that they were engaged when the crush developed, I always found out later. I think the lack of pressure is what attracted me to them? So the safety part of the crush makes a lot of sense.

Most of my crushes are anime characters. My top three are Ulquiorra from Bleach, L from Death Note, and Sebastian from Black Butler(as you can see I have a thing for black haired characters). I also kind of like Kylo Ren from Star Wars. He's one of the only live action characters I've crushed on.

.diva plavalaguna.

I've always crushed on characters, probably as much as I've crushed on actual people. Most of them were pretty short-lived. My biggest, longest-standing crush is on Gaara, of course. <3 

Surprise crushes...Jorge from Maze Runner. Specifically the movie. I suspect some of this at least is due to who the actor is - Giancarlo Esposito. That's an attractive man right there. I think he's already showed up in my dreams once, and I already did a headcanon with him. Those are the telltale signs of a crush for me... I kind of thought his character was weird at first, but I guess that didn't last long lol.

More surprising is Negan, from The Walking Dead. This is surprising and disturbing, 'cause he is not a good dude. JDM is hot, yeah, but I had no idea who he was before TWD, and haven't really looked him up outside of it. It's specifically Negan I have this odd attraction to. I'm not sure why...power, maybe? Or maybe I'm the odd one. 

eggsistentialcrisis

The closest thing that I have to a “crush” (I prefer the word “squish”) would be on Dean Winchester from Supernatural. Yeah, he’s a pretty human, but most of my fantasies with him include platonic activities. He’s more of a role model, maybe even fatherly figure, to me. The most I would ever want to do is hug and cuddle with him, and baffle him with my silly nonsense. Anywho, that’s enough ranting from me. I hope I didn’t share too much...

My current character "crushes" are definitely on Lance and Pidge from Voltron Legendary Defender, and Kaz Brekker from Six of Crows/Crooked Kingdom. For Pidge and Lance it's definitely a "I would love to hang out with them" kind of crush, but with Kaz that's still a mystery to me lmao

LittleLillie

Eh I never saw the point of character crushes since they can't love you back then again it might be because my Aromantic characteristic may prevent me from feeling that way about them. I am a big fan of many characters but I never once had a crush on any of them.

I admire characteristics that characters have, but I don’t crush on any. They can be inspirational, but I’m aro and jaded so that’s as far as my admiration goes. 

Archived